Once Upon a Time in the West / C’era una volta il West (Sergio Leone, 1968)

but if I understand the above quote correctly, it’s not their master that’s being corrected, but a new 4K scan done from the OCN in Italy, and then Paramount uses that to cut “their” version (in this case best case scenario the original theatrical version without the screwed up ending etc), while the Italians who sit on the negatives will release likely whatever longest version they have on the assumption that that’s how it premiered?

Maybe, but the Italians have released on disc so far only this long version (which is a bit inferior to the theatrical version) or oddly also the Paramount version, when they released a shorter version.

Paramount version on an Italian Blu:
https://www.ofdb.de/fassung/1660,373437,Spiel-mir-das-Lied-vom-Tod/

178 min version on DVD:
https://www.ofdb.de/fassung/1660,257543,Spiel-mir-das-Lied-vom-Tod/

The only thing wrong with the ending is that it features the wrong score for the last 2 min. (and that should really be easy to fix)
And there are about 70 sec missing in the opening sequence.
And of course the so called “Rising scene” should be cut out.

And then we have the original 1968 version, which I have watched countless times in the cinema, on TV and even from VHS (a terrible full screen version)

Ok then, in a perfect world they would make in Italy a 4k scan of the original theatrical version and of the special long version.
And Parmount would relase this here together with the long version on a bonus disc.

And all with English audio, and with Italian audio, and with subs translated from the Italian audio. And of course with all other main dubs.

I’m sure Plaion or Explosive would do that, if they were allowed to. Or Criterion.

Sounds like we’re dodging a bullet here at least?

Otherwise I’d expect us to be getting something like this:

Maybe I’m exaggerating a little… :stuck_out_tongue:

4 Likes

looks accurate :slight_smile:

1 Like

Needs more yellow

3 Likes

Love it when someone pisses on the negative. Even better when people try and justify the yellow MGM blu-ray. Hilarious.

1 Like

So in the Bluray.com forum there is some talk about the various 4K editions and restorations already available thru vudu, hulu and recently a screening (digital/stream) by Scorsese’s Film Foundation, which screenshots. Seems like the music error in the credits is still not fixed… I wonder if anyone with brains is working at Paramount…

2 Likes

Honestly, if they cannot properly present this masterpiece, I will continue to stick with the DVD.

we should write an open letter, summarizing the core demands of the fan community :slight_smile: adressed to the Paramount CEO

2 Likes

Specs out!

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/C'era_una_volta_il_West/BluRay#USA

2 Likes

not sure if the reviewer has seen the final UHD disc, or merely one of the 4K UHD streams that seem to be available (Apple, Tubi, etc) and if those are the exact same…

SWDb listing now has most specs for USA and UK editions, and just came in are Amazon links for France and Germany. Stay tuned for more.

No better opportunity to finally include the Italian cut, and to fix the mistakes from last time. But that’s unlikely, so I won’t bother with it.

1 Like

Fascinating how Paramount can just keep fucking it up… so let’s see what the Italians will pull off, but if it’s all restored in Italy anyway, I don’t get it… I mean why go through all the trouble and stick with the stunted Paramount cut then… worst case is the Italians also using that one

2 Likes

French covers added (two editions), now awaiting German cover designs…

Spain edition added. Specs for Spain and UK confirmed, as Amazon has the back covers up.

Despite that this film was no hit, it’s weird how it affected the people who were in it, who started basically playing these roles again. Take, for example, Henry Fonda in Firecreek, also '68…is this Frank, or what?:

And Robards in The Ballad of Cable Hogue. Cheyenne, anybody?:

3 Likes

I’ll call it. It is the best buddy movie ever made.:smiley:

But Firecreek was before OuTW, it is actually from 1967.

Unfortunately a pretty dull film.