Once Upon a Time in the West / C’era una volta il West (Sergio Leone, 1968)

No, I’m with you. I think the version that runs 165 minutes is better, tighter. The longer cut, which I hadn’t seen/watched before, is just, well, longer, nothing really important is added. But both are great.

1 Like

From Wikipedia:

Release date:
20 December 1968 (Rome)
21 December 1968 (Italy)

So does this film officially turn 50 today, or tomorrow? :thinking:

Today, of course (day of the authorisation for public showing).

This advertisement was published in a daily newspaper on December 22, 1968 and refers to two movie theaters in Firenze (Florence)

3 Likes

I met Dario Argento today, and it was nice to talk to him about this little film he helped write…

11 Likes

Those who haven’t yet, get the book: Once Upon A Time In The West: Shooting a Masterpiece - The Spaghetti Western Database

(see the other thread for discussions about it)

Hey! I created a video essay discussing one of my favourite films, Once Upon a Time in the West by Sergio Leone. I’d love some feedback from the video! Just a little to know what you thought about the content and about the film.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zq6X88WRSMY

I appreciate any comment!

2 Likes

I re-watched ‘OUATITW’ a few days ago.
What a beautiful film. There is something magical, and timeless, about it, that will continue to endure.

https://youtu.be/2TgVNFZdDWk

4 Likes

Here is a nice photo from El Ferrocarril en Andalucia.

3 Likes

I whole heartily agree with you!

New images (including show times) at the bottom of the page. Repeatedly click to enlarge

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/C'era_una_volta_il_West/Pictures

3 Likes

just stumbled across this again. brilliant

Count me out on this one. Realize I’m in the minority, no disrespect intended to anyone … but to me, this is like Leone on Qualudes … a movie mired in molasses … more “arty” than artistic. Sergio jumped the shark, and most audiences agreed.

Oh, Thomas … what have you said, and at Leone headquarters too! LOL

Personally I always felt that this must be seen in it’s proper context, on the big cinema screen - The movie has never had the same impact for me since seeing it back in 1984 in it’s restored form.

Just a stunningly beautiful and sinister movie, which in my opinion doesn’t translate to television. :thinking:

3 Likes

Mmmmm…

What don’t you like about ‘OUATITW’?

Ok, here goes, obviously just my subjective opinions, and I’m not saying those who love the film are wrong in any sense: 1) Sluggish pace for a Spaghetti western; 2) the “Harmonica” theme music annoys me after the first time or two; 2) Bronson’s small, uninteresting eyes in extreme close-up; 3) Cheyenne (I pretty much agree with Alex Cox’s criticisms of the character); 4) mediocre plot and, for the most part, dialogue. I liked the strong Claudia C. - but when I read Sergio rejected Sophia Loren (my true love) for the part, I could never like Claudia in the role as much as before. The whole thing just feels pretentious to me … glacial pacing my major issue. By no means do I think this is a bad movie … just flawed to the degree that it falls somewhere outside my personal top 20. I’ll admit that had Clint played Harmonica, and Van Cleef Cheyenne, my reservations about the film might not exist.

Be merciful, kill me quick if you must. :slight_smile:

Great cinematography.

Okay. First, and foremost; although I don’t agree with some of the points that you have made, I greatly respect your opinions. After all, without individual, opposing opinions, this site would be very boring.

Best to you, and happy viewing, amigo. :smiley:

Glad to be here, my friend, thanks. I should note I love the Dollars trilogy, and the great Sergio Leone.

1 Like

Interesting - never heard that before. Like Toscano says, you make some good points, but it’s a different animal altogether in the cinema.

I actually feel the same way you do about ‘Once upon a time in America’ … and then some - and I did see it full length in the cinema on it’s initial UK release.

It’s good to hear some fresh opinions :slight_smile:

1 Like