Once Upon a Time in the West / C’era una volta il West (Sergio Leone, 1968)

he is just deadly serious about his favorite movies :wink:

friday part 4 its not my best one, part 6 and 7 are my best

Not a problem to me

Once upon a time in time is a better film than GBU and the ultimate SW, and one of the best films ever put to screen. Still My favourite SW is GBU, one of those things.

In my opinion GBU is a better film than Once upon a time in the west.

[quote=“sartana1968, post:5, topic:3130”]sorry but i don’t understand why this movie it’s sooooo great ???[/quote]Because it’s visually stunning, cinematography, music, acting.

That’s my view anyway.

Don’t bother replying because we already know you don’t like it and think it’s boring etc etc

For a film you don’t like you sure like to keep revisiting the thread and posting in it.

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:445, topic:322”]In my opinion GBU is a better film than Once upon a time in the west.[/quote]I think it’s more fun but not a better film but it comes so close for me anyway as GBU is my second favourite film.

By the logic of things Once upon a time in the west, got more things that normally make a film better, but mostly technicall stuff, that’s why I say it’s a better film than GBU.
But I always liked GBU most it’s my special SW, and I’m not comparing issue by issue, both soundtracks are great both got magnificent actors, but then GBU is more to my taste, or maybe cause I saw it first, sequence by sequence I remember the all god damn film.

Same here, Yod. Cheers! :wink:

Both are top-notches. As for OUATITW and any other spaghetti western classic, everybody has more and less favorite moments and there is nothing strange about it. You just must cease to watch it for some time and you’ll reveal it once again some day. I prefer Once Upon A Time, as it’s a more serious effort from Sergio, The Good The Bad is just good entertainment and fun, just like it was said above. :wink:

Both are absolutely great masterpieces. And both belong to the most fascinating and most entertaining movies I have ever seen.

But when GBU is 11/10 than OuTW is 12/10.

Why? It’s even more stunning and a slight little bit more entertaining.

Great scale. :wink:

leone scale :wink:

For me that’s the Leone scale, yes.

I’ve said this before, but Once Upon and GBU are number one and two on my Top 20, The Great Silence is thrird and still a wonderful, fascinating movie. But there’s a great gap between my Top 2 and the rest of the bunch. Those two masterpieces are way above the rest.

For a Few Dollars More is my number one SW for pure entertainment. But when it comes to artistic and technical brilliance, it doesn’t hold a candle to either Once Upon or GBU. If I were to choose between the two, I think Once Upon is slightly better, as its less cartoonish and is elevated by Cardinal and Fonda, as well as the American locations.

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:454, topic:322”]For me that’s the Leone scale, yes.

I’ve said this before, but Once Upon and GBU are number one and two on my Top 20, The Great Silence is thrird and still a wonderful, fascinating movie. But there’s a great gap between my Top 2 and the rest of the bunch. Those two masterpieces are way above the rest.[/quote]

Same for me (only that Il mercenario is on #3, but followed then very closely by TGS). Yes, big gap …

FaFDM has its share of flaws, but is of course in the top 10

For a Few dollars More could have been a masterpiece, but it drags a little in the third quarter. I always had the idea some parts were extended to give Eastwood a bigger role than originally planned. It feels unbalanced now. The central character is clearly our Colonel, and the film would have been better (especially better paced) without some of those scenes like the two being captured by Indio’s gang, then released by Indio to provoke a shootout, etc. I also think the Indio character is slightly overdone. The first half of the movie and the finale are marvellous. And Mortimer is still my favorite SW character, he’s the most human of all SW heroes.

I don’t think my Top 10 will change that much over the years. For me there’s a second gap. The two real masterpieces are the ones mentioned above. After the first gap there’s a small group of, let’s say, great movies, cfr The Great Silence, The Big Gundown, The Mercenary, Companeros, Face to Face and For a Few dollars More. Then there’s a new gap. Then come (for me) films like Bandidos, Death rides a Horse, Tepepa, Nobody, Day of Anger, the Ringos, etc. Still good movies, but not on the same level.

Greatest discovery this year, was (thanks to Autephex) the long version of A Minute to pray, a Second to Die.
Ulrich Bruckner asked me for a copy, let’s see what he makes of it.

I assume Fod and Django belong to the 2nd group?

Yes

This may be a controversial view, but I’d actually put The Great Silence before the gap (and pretty much all of the other Corbucci films after it).

Probably agree.

So having something like:
OUATIW
GBU (without the recently added bits that weren’t dubbed into English which feel a bit extraneous)
The Great Silence
… Gap 1 (with For A Few Dollars More awkwardly straddling the gap probably) …
The rest of the good Corbucci’s, Keoma (possibly controversial), Return of Ringo, on a good day The Big Gundown/Face to Face (I’m not a huge fan), maybe some of the well done but minor films
… Gap 2 …
The rest