Offscreen Festival in Brussels: 15 spaghetti westerns on 35mm!

My first post on the board - but I simply HAD to share this great news. That is, for European board members - I mean: FIFTEEN spaghetti westerns on vintage 35mm !! Pretty unique, I think.

The third Edition of the Offscreen Film Festival will take place from 4th - 21st of March 2010 at four different locations in Brussels.

Press release :

[i]After two successful editions, the Offscreen Film Festival, an annual rendez-vous for enthusiasts of extraordinary cinema, is preparing its third festival edition. For three extended weekends, Cinema Nova, Cinematek, Bozar and the RITS will be buzzing with activity with screenings of cult films and rare cinematic pearls of international off-beat features, special documentaries and independent filmmakers packed with talent.

This year’s festival will feature:

The Spaghetti Western

A genre that was pushed to the forefront by Sergio Leone and others and was all the rage in the '60s. A total of fifteen Westerns in vintage 35mm, including the titles Django and The Big Silence by Sergio Corbucci, The Big Gundown (La Resa dei Conti) by Sergio Sollima and Django Kill! by Giulio Questi. Some of these films will be introduced by the notorious British connoisseur, Alex Cox. A perfect occasion for the Cinematek to present several films by this independent director: Repo Man, Straight to Hell and Walker.

Japanese 70’s exploitation

The festival program will also explore Japanese exploitation cinema of the '70s with films like Female Prisoner #701: Scorpion by Shunya Ito, Female Yakuza Tale by Teruo Ishii and Girl Boss Guerilla by Norifumi Suzuki. Fans of bare-breasted armed gangs, virgins drunk with vengeance, sword-obsessed female gangsters and cruel schoolchildren, this is for you.

Icon of Z movies, clay animation and electro music

And there’s more ! None other than the Spanish master of sleaze Jess Franco will join us, accompanied by his favourite actress Lina Romay. During the first festival weekend, they will present some of their cult classics at Bozar and Cinema Nova such as Vampyros Lesbos, Succubus, Shining Sex and Midnight Party. We are also pleased to announce that Bruce Bickford will be present at the festival - a reclusive genius and creator of freaky animated films, known in particular for the clay animation he created for Frank Zappa in the '70s and '80s. And finally, a special evening will be curated by extravagant electro musician Felix Kubin.

The complete program will be available February 18, in conjunction with the press conference.
http://www.offscreen.be/[/i]

This looks like a very interesting event.
I’d love to know what the full 15 film line up is. Brussels is not so far away for some of us :wink:

I’m afraid the full line-up is not yet definite - will let you know once it is, but it might take until the press conference late February. One more confirmed title is Quién Sabe (Bullet for the General).

Right - thirteen spaghetti titles are definite :

In Cinema Nova:

• The Big Silence
  • Django Kill
  • The Price Of Power

In Cinematek:

• Cemetary Without Crosses (Une corde, un colt)
  • And God Said To Cain
  • Tepepa
  • Blindman
  • For A Few Dollars More
  • The Good, the Bad and the Ugly
  • Death Rides A Horse
  • The Mercenary
  • Django
  • The Big Gundown

One or two others are still under negotiation.

[quote=“tolpol, post:4, topic:2194”]Right - thirteen spaghetti titles are definite :

In Cinema Nova:

• The Big Silence
  • Django Kill
  • The Price Of Power

In Cinematek:

• And God Said To Cain
  • Tepepa
  • Blindman
  • For A Few Dollars More
  • Death Rides A Horse
  • The Mercenary
  • Django
  • The Big Gundown

One or two others are still under negotiation.[/quote]

That’s a very promising line up indeed.
Looking more and more attractive to make another trip to Belgium.

[quote=“tolpol, post:4, topic:2194”]Right - thirteen spaghetti titles are definite :

In Cinema Nova:

• The Big Silence
  • Django Kill
  • The Price Of Power

In Cinematek:

• And God Said To Cain
  • Tepepa
  • Blindman
  • For A Few Dollars More
  • Death Rides A Horse
  • The Mercenary
  • Django
  • The Big Gundown

One or two others are still under negotiation.[/quote]

Shit, that’s VERY tempting!

[quote=“Phil H, post:5, topic:2194”]That’s a very promising line up indeed.
Looking more and more attractive to make another trip to Belgium.[/quote]

Keep in mind that it are not necessarily English friendly screenings.

Good point. Any info on this tolpol?

I have to check - as I’m not involved in the acquisition of the prints. Most prints are Belgian releases from the national archives - and those are usually in English with French/Dutch subtitles, but it might be possible some were only released with a French dub. I’ll get back to you.

Cheers

Got info on dubs and subs of most of the films :

• The Big Silence : english dub + dutch/french subs
  • Django Kill : italian dub + english subs
  • The Price Of Power : italian dub + english subs
  • Kill & Pray (Requiescant) : english dub + ? subs
  • Cemetary Without Crosses (Une corde, un colt) : french dub + ? subs
  • And God Said To Cain : english dub + dutch/french subs
  • Tepepa : english dub + dutch/french subs
  • Blindman : ? dub + ? subs
  • For A Few Dollars More : english dub + dutch/french subs
  • The Good, the Bad and the Ugly : english dub + dutch/french subs
  • Death Rides A Horse : english dub + no subs
  • The Mercenary : english dub + dutch/french subs
  • Django : english dub + no subs
  • The Big Gundown : probably italian dub + dutch/french subs

All on 35mm film prints except for Requiescant as the last addition to the list and the only one on 16mm.

[quote=“tolpol, post:11, topic:2194”]Got info on dubs and subs of most of the films :

• The Big Silence : english dub + dutch/french subs
  • Django Kill : italian dub + english subs
  • The Price Of Power : italian dub + english subs
  • Kill & Pray (Requiescant) : english dub + ? subs
  • Cemetary Without Crosses (Une corde, un colt) : french dub + ? subs
  • And God Said To Cain : english dub + dutch/french subs
  • Tepepa : english dub + dutch/french subs
  • Blindman : ? dub + ? subs
  • For A Few Dollars More : english dub + dutch/french subs
  • The Good, the Bad and the Ugly : english dub + dutch/french subs
  • Death Rides A Horse : english dub + no subs
  • The Mercenary : english dub + dutch/french subs
  • Django : english dub + no subs
  • The Big Gundown : probably italian dub + dutch/french subs

All on 35mm film prints except for Requiescant as the last addition to the list and the only one on 16mm.[/quote]

So the vast majority will be English friendly. Excellent news.
Thanks again for the info.

I’d love to go but if i did i wouldn’t be able to go to Almeria in the summer.

Funny thing is i have only left the U.K. twice in my life, both times Almeria.

The festival’s program is finally online !

Better start planning a trip to Brussels :

http://offscreen.be/thefestival/

I noticed there are a lot of showings in Antwerp, which makes things a lot easier for me

I live much closer to Antwerp and public transport offers far better connections (it’s not a good idea to visit these cities by car, they’re both ancient cities with an 17-18th century city centre, resulting in nearly permanent traffic jams etc.)

The Great Silence is shown in Antwerp on friday night the 19th, good idea for a night out

Yeah - five spaghetti’s are programmed both in Brussels and Antwerp.

These are the Anwerp dates (shows at Cinema Zuid) :

Fri March 5 - 20h00 : For a Few Dollars More
Sun March 7 - 20h00 : The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
Fri March 19 - 20h00 : The Great Silence
Sat March 20 - 20h00 : Django Kill!
Sat March 26 - 20h00 : The Price of Power

[quote=“tolpol, post:16, topic:2194”]Yeah - five spaghetti’s are programmed both in Brussels and Antwerp.

These are the Anwerp dates (shows at Cinema Zuid) :

Fri March 5 - 20h00 : For a Few Dollars More
Sun March 7 - 20h00 : The Good, The Bad and the Ugly
Fri March 19 - 20h00 : The Great Silence
Sat March 20 - 20h00 : Django Kill!
Sat March 26 - 20h00 : The Price of Power[/quote]

None of these days and hours cause any problem for me personally, so if anybody likes to combine a spagh with a walk in Antwerp, I’ll be your guide!

Antwerp is a beautiful place, a lot of shops, a wonderful market place, a gothic cathedral with paintings of Rubens, great museums, countless bars …

Cinema Zuid has just opened its doors, I haven’t paid it a visit yet

I have just checked it out, Brussels is approx. 3 hours away from me. I would love to go there if anyone who lives near me (NRW) would share the car expenses for the gas and Stuff. Is there some official trip to from Germany to Brussels organized?

Sauerland, you live not far away from me. Where exactly?

I live in Meinerzhagen, between Siegen and Dortmund with its own exit on the Autobahn 45.