Official Spaghetti Western Box Office Gross thread---Just ask!

Surprisingly high grossing for Franco & Cicco movies. Aren’t they supposed to be shitty? [haven’t seen any of them so far]

I didn’t know that Dio Perdona…Io No! was so succesful. But then again it makes sense why there was two sequels and why Hill & Spencer finally hit the jackpot with Trinity films.

It’s not so surprising
Like most people, Italians like(d) to see their own stars

One of the reasons for Gemma’s popularity was the fact that he was the first real Italian star within the genre, he was their ‘own’ spaghetti western hero, their ‘own Clint’, if you wish (one of his many knicknames is La pistola nazionale)

Hill & Spencer, Franco Nero and those two unfunny comedians were national heroes, Milian was very popular among students and (later) housewives. When I was in Rome a few years ago, to improve my fluency in Italian, and I told my teacher (a lovely 28 year old brunette) about Tomas Milian, she cried, in Italian of course:

Tomas Milian! My mammy adoooores him!

Me neither, but one must remember that shittiness and big box officeing CAN go hand in hand. The one doesn’t necessarily exclude the other :slight_smile: Franco and Ciccio were obviously big stars in Italy at the time else they wouldn’t have made that many movies. If they were fiascos I’m sure they would have been cut short sooner.

But in fact I asked the same question in the Worst SW-thread, and Silver Wolf answered more or less that they aren’t totally bad so they are probably worth looking up:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,173.180.html

A Fistful of Dollars 3 182

So this our only one from 64.

[quote=“AvatarDK, post:44, topic:851”]But in fact I asked the same question in the Worst SW-thread, and Silver Wolf answered more or less that they aren’t totally bad so they are probably worth looking up:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php/topic,173.180.html[/quote]
I would like to see them even if they’re bad, but there aren’t any legitimate english-friendly dvd releases so far.

MIG Filmgroup should, God willing, release a Franco & Ciccio box this year. Will most likely contain Italian dub and German subtitles which is edible for some. If it will contain any of their spaghetti westerns I don’t know though but hope springs eternal :slight_smile:

If you don’t get to see Franco & Ciccio westerns you can’t sleep at night :wink:

Franco and Ciccio were as “funny” as

A FART Inside a spacesuit :’( ???

Count me OUT of anything “funny”? involving Franco & Ciccio or Terence Hill & Obese Bud ???

1969		(31)	

1 Collina Deglia Stivali 1742
2 Prezzo Del Potere 1274
3 Vivi O Preferibilmente Morti 1202
4 Ehi Amico…C’e’ Sabata Hai Chiuso1117
5 Tepepa 859
6 Cangaceiro 775
7 Esercito Di Cinque Uomini 705
8 Sono Sartana Il Vostro Becchino 684
9 Pistolero Dell’Ave Maria 599
10 Cimitero Senza Croci 499
11 Lunga Fila Di Croci 493
12 Quei Disperati Che Puzzano 463
13 Garringo 459
14 Django Il Bastardo 431
15 Dio Perdoni La Mia Pistola 354

1970		(28)	

1 Lo Chiamavano Trinita 3104
2 Vamos A matar Companeros 1452
3 Indio Black, Sai Che Ti Dico Sei Un Gran 930
4 C’e’ Sartana Vendi La Pistola E Comprati Bara 642
5 Ciakmull 512
6 Buon Funerale Amigos Paga Sartana 483
7 Vendicatori Dell’Ave Maria 469
8 Nuvola Di Polvere Grido Morte Arriva Sartana 459
9 E Dio Disse Caino 444
10 Collera Del Vento 436
11 Lo Irritarono E Sartana Fece Piazza Pulita 415
12 Arizona Si Scateno E Li Fece Fuori 406

You can see here that the SW continues its decline. In 1970, there are only a handful of hit movies, the rest fare mediocre at the box office. Thre is also what appears to be a spike in inflation starting around 1971. A gross of 400 Million Lire is no longer as impressive as it was back in 1965

Interesting Box Office Figures On The SWs Side indeed Col. DM.

I have to comment that Italian audiences were NOT discerning or sophisticated in taste.
Masses of younger light headed , ready for a cheap laugh hordes clearly bought tickets
for the unfunny nonsense spitted out by Terence Hill&Bud Spencer. Also Tomas Milian
SWs where he hams it up, overacts / slapsticks it are lamentable. Milian’s Serious= Good

The Giuliano Gemma Films I have more appreciation for because Gemma made some
good, serious, entertaining SWs in the true traditional manner.
PETER LEE LAWRENCE and ANTHONY STEFFEN SWS are featured but not as high up
as they deserve to be. Indio Black/Sabata was a beautiful SW, with top notch cast.

I was also surprised that the Django and Sartana films were only moderate hits in Italy.

Yes these Italians Col DM are very hot blooded , temperamental and mother obsessed
:smiley: :wink:
Sartana, Django, Sabata should ALL have taken MILLIONS more Lire than SW “comedies”

Hey Colonel, Adios Gringo with Gemma is missing on the 65 list.

Thanks for pointing that out, I have made the correction. It was the first movie listed for that year which is why I missed it.

1971 (41)

1. Continuavano a Chiamarlo Trinita’ 6088
  2. Sole Rosso 2970
  3. Giu’ La Testa 2465
  4. Viva La Muerte Tua 1061
  5. Testa T’Ammazzo Croce Se Morto Mi Chiamano Alleluja 789
  6. E Tornato Sabata Hai Chiuso Un’Altra Volta 739
  7. E Continuavano A Fregarsi Il Milione Di Dollari 614
  8. Gli Fumavano Le Colt Lo Chiamavano Composanto 522

I had to reduce it to only the top 8 for 1971 because these are the only SW’s that made any sort of impact, box office wise. The rest of them bombed.

1972 (37)

1. E Poi Lo Chiamarono Il Magnifico 3367
  2. Ragione Per Vivere E Una Per Morire 1960
  3. Si Puo’ Fare, Amigo 1598
  4. Vita A Volte E Molto Dura Vero Provvidenza? 1340
  5. Che C’entriamo Noi Con La Rivoluzione? 1186
  6. Amico Stammi Lonta No Almeno Un Palmo 1138
  7. West Ti Va Stretto Amico E’ Arrivato Alleluja 718
  8. Te Deum 685
  9. Due Figli Di Trinita 647
  10. Amico Mio Frega Tu Che Frego Io 505

NOt a good year for SW’s. At this point Italians only wanted to see comedies.

If only we had German Box office figures. I think that would be more representative of how popular these SW’s really were.

I am sure Col DM we will get the GERMAN and other Euro Box Office Figures.
Meantime thanks for your informative postings here, plus all the work involved in research

I’m not so sure, cause there is nothing available for the moment.

Colonel, are their any informations in your book about ticket prices for the different years, or further details about the inflation rate?