Official 2015 relaunch

The cat is out of the bag!

I present to you, the official 2015 relaunch of the SWDB. We have moved the SWDB to a hosting infrastructure that should be very stable (once we gather more donations I can increase its capacity), and I planned to give it another overhaul.

1. I relaunched the SWDB with a new look and feel. It is a lot faster, works on different screens (including mobile devices), and it is much nicer to read.
  2. YouTube extension is re-enabled, however you need to change all embed codes from {{#ev:youtube|cUMENsOzcbQ}} to <youtube>cUMENsOzcbQ</youtube> (grab that combination from a URL of any youtube video)
  3. The new layout (based on a skin system called “Foreground”) requires us to tweak A LOT of pages. Before you get angry: That was overdue. Most pages were not sustainable in the long term in terms of code and layout. We need to move away from tables and use more divs. Ideally, we use a responsive grid system that comes with Foreground, you can read about it here: http://foreground.thingelstad.com/wiki/Grid

Please report all and any problems, ideally post the adress of the page in question, and we can get it fixed quickly.

Here are some of my to dos:

• fix the mp3 extension in case you want to embed audio
  • fix layouts of the most popular pages
  • redo the staff, help, how to contribute, donate, contact us, etc. pages
  • fix sponsoring agreements. That Explosive Media logo is just a placeholder to show Uli how it could look like :wink:

Lastly, coming soon is a relaunch of the Forum as well… stay tuned

I like it. I take it the Django[url]http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Django[/url] page has been tweaked already?

Yes, well noticed :wink:

Working on others. I think it might even make sense to give movie pages an entirely new layout. I can tweak them, but open them on your mobile phone and you will notice, it is not perfect that way

Find your editing tools with the little “Actions” button on the top right of each article page.

Find more Wiki tools on the top right edge of the screen. Your own personal settings are on the user icon in the top right corner.

I’m out of the bag now?

I do have to make donation (it’s like paying a beer to the mates), I don’t have time participate more as a staff member or something, so I’ll contribute in other wy.

And for a change this time it’s coming from Portugal to Germany ;D

Wow, reverse EU funding :wink: Muito bom!

And I found some nice changes to apply to the Top list Essential Top 20 Films - The Spaghetti Western Database

Tabbed interfaces for long pages?

Check this out: Buono, il brutto, il cattivo, Il/BluRay - The Spaghetti Western Database

What if we tabbed the Country overviews? That would add a lot of convenience. Also, resize your browser window and check what happens on a small screen. pretty neat.

Opinions?

[quote=“Sebastian, post:8, topic:3520”]Tabbed interfaces for long pages?

Check this out: http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Buono,_il_brutto,_il_cattivo,_Il/BluRay[/quote]

I like that:

“Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, ornare neque quisque etiam posuere voluptatem erat, scelerisque ornare tellus duis arcu eget ullamcorper. Lectus orci tincidunt augue tristique. Libero mus augue tortor urna, mauris sollicitudin fusce vestibulum nec, erat blandit in placerat ultrices, facilisis interdum consectetuer. Maecenas in unde, dolor a est ornare placerat dicta, ut nostra. Vehicula aliquam erat arcu. Nibh integer vestibulum natoque lacinia quis. A felis euismod sapien, eu dapibus, adipiscing in risus fringilla, hendrerit maecenas in dolor, vel nullam a.”

The UK version with that “diam diam” thingie is even better:

"Magna pede, dignissim diam diam, in ac quis molestie felis, facilisis rhoncus, est vestibulum libero suspendisse. Ac sed eget est arcu, tempus hac, maecenas potenti eu, aliquam sit praesent vestibulum sapien aliquet. Accumsan aliquam velit aliquam cupidatat orci rhoncus, quis massa cum condimentum enim bibendum ante, leo odio suspendisse id vestibulum nibh. At donec sociis quis leo ac, consectetuer donec, tempus consectetuer congue dolor magna, libero nam in vivamus proin praesent, nulla in et sollicitudin cras. Lorem enim tincidunt convallis mauris a viverra, cras dictumst gravida, pulvinar ut commodo turpis, nonummy dui id. "

It is so … so true. And somehow so really magna pede.

Maybe I’m missing something, but is there any way to increase the font size in the edit window? In the previous version it was in preferences. Those little bitty letters are hard on these old eyes :slight_smile:

No, Cat Ballou!

[quote=“Stanton, post:9, topic:3520”]I like that:

“Lorem ipsum dolor sit amet, ornare neque quisque etiam posuere voluptatem erat, scelerisque ornare tellus duis arcu eget ullamcorper. Lectus orci tincidunt augue tristique. Libero mus augue tortor urna, mauris sollicitudin fusce vestibulum nec, erat blandit in placerat ultrices, facilisis interdum consectetuer. Maecenas in unde, dolor a est ornare placerat dicta, ut nostra. Vehicula aliquam erat arcu. Nibh integer vestibulum natoque lacinia quis. A felis euismod sapien, eu dapibus, adipiscing in risus fringilla, hendrerit maecenas in dolor, vel nullam a.”

The UK version with that “diam diam” thingie is even better:

"Magna pede, dignissim diam diam, in ac quis molestie felis, facilisis rhoncus, est vestibulum libero suspendisse. Ac sed eget est arcu, tempus hac, maecenas potenti eu, aliquam sit praesent vestibulum sapien aliquet. Accumsan aliquam velit aliquam cupidatat orci rhoncus, quis massa cum condimentum enim bibendum ante, leo odio suspendisse id vestibulum nibh. At donec sociis quis leo ac, consectetuer donec, tempus consectetuer congue dolor magna, libero nam in vivamus proin praesent, nulla in et sollicitudin cras. Lorem enim tincidunt convallis mauris a viverra, cras dictumst gravida, pulvinar ut commodo turpis, nonummy dui id. "

It is so … so true. And somehow so really magna pede.[/quote]

Love the Latin, but what would we use the tabs for? Comparing differences in releases perhaps? Or using it in place of the column?

Each country gets its own tab. the information that is now below

Now I am trying to find a new setting for the movie pages as well, following a responsive approach with the grid layout

my experimentation page is Buono, il brutto, il cattivo, Il - The Spaghetti Western Database

You can read more at http://foreground.thingelstad.com/wiki/Grid

Ideas? Feedback?

I like it, though I prefer having a border around the side info. I think formatting the film pages so they fit that style needs to be corrected.

I like it, Seb.
Looks very ‘clean’.

I like the picture there, not sure about the synopsis in the beginning though. Instead of synopsis, year and director should be more highlighted. Now they blend in the text.

The main idea is to put some text about the page first, e.g. for the preview in search engines or when you post the link somewhere. Most of our pages don’t say anything bout the movie, unless you click around or scroll. Is there a way we can emphasize what the movies are about? maybe instead of a full synopsis just a one sentence like “… is a spaghetti western about three men hunting after a treasure hidden in a soldier’s grave.”

I’ve updated the Alternative Top 20 and Howard Hughes’ Top 20 pages now to reflect the new look of the main Top 20 page.
I think they look pretty good but if any can see any obvious errors let me know.

[quote=“Phil H, post:19, topic:3520”]I’ve updated the Alternative Top 20 and Howard Hughes’ Top 20 pages now to reflect the new look of the main Top 20 page.
I think they look pretty good but if any can see any obvious errors let me know.

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Alternative_Top_20[/quote]

great job Phil, many thanks for the help. The official top 20 is also up to date I think. As you said, any notes on errors and improvements are more than welcome, while we update a lot of other pages, such as how movie pages look like in general, and BluRay/DVD pages, reviews etc. Simon has done some amazing work revamping his texts.

As a general rule: do away with tables, use DIVS… keep it simple, use relative sizes…