My Spaghetti Western album

Earlier this year I challenged myself if I could record an album of at least 40 minutes of music that reflects most of the different periods and sub-genres of the Spaghetti Western genre. My goal was to recreate the gradual, and sometimes radical, shifts in style and sound over the course of this decade and a half.

The result, “I Western”, are 18 tracks, chronologically covering the Spaghetti Western cycle from rather silly ditties pre-Morricone in 1963 (so don’t give up just yet after the first two tracks, dear hardcore Spaghetti Heads!), to classic trumpets and electric guitar themes (aaahaa….!), to weird movie genre crossovers - the Far West and Egypt (Peplum) in my case – to the Mexcian Revolution, to slightly jazzy influences, to laid-back easy listening stuff, to comedy, all the way through to the folk and prog rock influenced tail end of the genre, the so-called Twilight Westerns of 1976/1977. From classic orchestral and folkloristic instruments to distorted guitar, punchy drums, and synths.

If there are people that could possibly appreciate my effort, it would be in a community like this. So I was urged to share my little project here with you. If there’s just one of you who ends up enjoying the music, who can close their eyes and imagine a Spaghetti Western scene, it was absolutely worth it.

You can listen to the album on almost every streaming service with the link below. If you don’t subscribe to any service, there are some that only require a free account. Or, if all else fails, you should be able to listen to the full album, with the occasional ad between tracks, on YouTube Music.

I hope some of you can get a kick out of some of the tracks. If so, let me know, and tell me what’s your favourite track. :wink:

And if you think you know someone who might like it, share it with them. Thank you. :slight_smile:

Listen here: kitosch - Listen on Spotify - Linktree

10 Likes

You’ve made these?!

Bloody good job! Did you do it alone? I’m not sure how you managed it, but they are really nice, honestly.

1 Like

Thank you, QuickDraw! :slight_smile:

Yes, I wrote and recorded these on my own in my little home recording studio. A couple guitars, a bass, a mandolin, an ocarina, a keyboard with a variety of virtual instruments, plus my ugly voice and whistling. :wink:

1 Like

Well, that’s impressive. I listened to them all and if I was a director making a western I’d be on the phone to you for sure.

1 Like

This is probably the nicest compliment I ever got for my music, thank you! Now I really wish you were a director. :joy:

I’ll listen to it at work tomorrow and let you know what I think!

Cool, looking forward to your honest opinion, PistoleroAmigo!

Absolutely wonderful, currently listening to “10 000 dollars for a lynching” :smiley: (Yes, I added an emoji even though I never use them)

1 Like

Muchas gracias, cuchillosancheez! I’m really happy you enjoy it. :blush:

Me too! :grin:

1 Like

I finally got done listening to the entire album and LOVED it. Granted, I´m no music genius, but I still thouroughly enjoyed it. De nada, amigo!

1 Like

Cool stuff there Amigo, been listening here and there to the tracks and it sounds good. If I ever get any of my SW ideas off the ground into feature or short films I’d really like to use some of the music or even better have you do a complete original score.

1 Like

Thanks! Sure, happy to talk once it gets ‘serious’. :wink:

Very impressive work - Well done.

1 Like

Thank you very much, sir!

I absolutely loved it. I love the idea of going through the different periods of Italian westerns and the album is definitely a journey through the different styles. I’m wanting to write a western here soon, so I might hit you up in the future.

1 Like

Thank you so much, PistoleroAmigo! Would be absolutely fantastic if I could contribute my music to more films, obviously. :wink:

I went out to feed our horses and take them for a little ride earlier and I decided to take that opportunity to finally listen to your songs while I rode. I felt like I was in the middle of a western! :laughing: I can’t tell you how impressed I am. I enjoyed every single track. :+1:

1 Like

Oh wow, that’s extremely cool, thank you!

Where do you live? Maybe it’s because of your surroundings that you felt like you’re in a western? :joy:

Well, in my opinion, you have not only achieved your goal with those 18 magnificent, inspirational tracks, but also set yourself another goal - how do you intend to better those with 18 more?

Well done, amigo…a joy to listen to your compositions…I’m now looking forward to those still to come. :+1: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like