My Name Is Pecos / Due once di piombo (Maurizio Lucidi, 1966)

You are right. I have that Brazilian version of PECOS CLEANS UP. It is OK, but as you say the aspect ratio is bad (it is fullscreen).
Also, the movie itself is pretty bad, too! :wink:

I got my Thai disc of Pecos a few days ago too, and itā€™s a terrible print I agree

The worst ghosting problems Iā€™ve ever seen

Good thing it didnā€™t cost more than it did, still a waste of money though

[quote=ā€œChris_Casey, post:39, topic:1832ā€]I believe so, but I was told that it is not widescreen.
I have never been able to confirm this information, though.[/quote]

I have a copy of this and you are correctly informed. A fullscreen transfer unfortunately. Same as Pecos Cleans Up. The only difference is that My Name is Pecos is a great little picture and Cleans Up is a turkey.

The Brazillian dvd is fullscreen, and has some weird looking blue widescreen bars during the opening credits:

Here are a few screens from the EVC VHS which has english audio, and a cropped widescreen ratio:

The below VHS might be the one I have.

My old ENTER THE DRAGON laserdisc had them blue widescreen bars for the start credits.

A lot written about the various vid/dvd versions but not much about the film ā€¦ soā€¦

For those who like their spaghetti with plenty of grit, this film is for you. Thereā€™s the silent stranger; the innocents killed; the slow and moody pace, as we are led into a dark and stylish slice of spaghetti-pie. Itā€™s got all the best cliches - a savage beating for our man, a wretched grave-digger (this time a card-reading, double-crossing snake of a pastor), and a colourful and brutal gang - all after a bunch of dollars hidden somewhere in town.
So - if it plays within the conventions, what makes it fresh?
Well, Pecos is (obviously) a Mexican, and he, and the Mexican barmaid, have to deal with the racist attitudes of the gang, and this simply adds yet another layer of hate, and another reason for revenge. And it works well as the ā€˜differenceā€™ - as ultimately this is a pretty straightforward revenge for a murdered family sort of film.
So - Robert Woods in yet another great role, and backed up with a fine motley crew of neā€™erdowells (and ā€œpetticoatsā€) in support.

4 out of 5 easily. If it lacks anything, it is maybe just a little bit of that dark humour we find in the best of the genre. But, alternative Top 20 stuff for sure, imo.

[Edit - see Phil Hā€™s review ( link from 1st. post) for an in-depth view - but Iā€™d suggest seeing it first maybe!]

I found the dialogue terribly lame on this one although itā€™s not bad and it has the ā€˜rightā€™ SW atmosphere. The score is basically a shameless rip-off of the classic ā€œHouse of the rising sunā€ and that means more points lost. 2.5/5

So I suppose it wouldā€™ve been 3/5 without the score?

Without that score, yes something like that. Without any score at all, donā€™t know.

I was thinking the same when I listened to it for the first time today.

Good SW. We see a Mexican SW-hero (anti-hero). This is something new. Otherwise, the Mexicans are always the bad guys. Woods, as always with a great performance.
Full agreement of the opinion of Rev. :wink:
The film has everything you need for a SW.
Absolutely recommended !

OK but not outstanding SW, Iā€™d agree that it was a good role for Robert Woods. for me, nothing happened or was presented in such a way to lift it above average. not a bad film, there was something about it, that kept my interest, but film is unmemorable imo.

The gravedigger is a crazy figure. A real nasty, dirty noodle. :slight_smile:

A perv in other words

My kind of guy :smiley: .

He looks a little like this Irish dwarfs, Leprechaun. ;D

I watched this one for the first time of my life.

One of those typical Woods westerns, in a league with El Puro and Starblack. What makes this one special is the reversal of stereotypes. Normally the Mexicans are the villains, while the hero is a Gringo (ā€œHey, Green Go!ā€), here the gringo is Mex and the villains are Tex.

According to Giusti it marks the beginning of the grade Z spaghetti (Fidani, Macacessi, etc.), Z not referring to quality, but to budget. Itā€™s an ultra-low budget production, set in a riculously uderpopulated western town (even for a spaghetti western).

I waited quite some time to watch this because I only had a copy of the fullscreen Brazilian DVD and couldnā€™t find a decent widescreen version. As some have stated the Thai DVD is awful, the image cropped to hide the subs of the Dutch VHS they used as source. This Dutch VHS seems much too dark, judging from the screenshots loaded up here and there, and it also looks a bit squeezed. Apart from all this, itā€™s hard to find. Cine City offers two widescreen versions (one with, one without subs) on DVDr, so maybe Iā€™ll ask RenĆ© how they look like.

The film is a good, gritty spagh in the mould of those early post-Fistful spaghs about a stranger arriving in a terrorized western town. The moody atmosphere and minimalist approach reminded me of A Stranger in Town. I liked it, but I can understand why some others donā€™t.

There is a French TV-print in good quality.

See here (Screenshots from StƩphane):

http://western-maniac.forum-pro.fr/t182-mon-nom-est-pecos-due-once-di-piombe-1966-maurizio-lucidi?highlight=pecos

[quote=ā€œThe Stranger, post:59, topic:1832ā€]There is a French TV-print in good quality.

See here (Screenshots from StƩphane):

[url]pecos[/url][/quote] - Mon nom est Pecos ( Due once di piombe ) ā€“1966- Maurizio LUCIDI

I noticed that too (I checked Western maniac).
Have you a copy of this TV screening, or are you able to get one?

I havenā€™t been active on the French site for quite a while (my French is getting a bit rusty)
I know a French guy on facebook, maybe he has (or can get) a copy. The network was Orange TV France, so audio will most probably be in French. But I know guys who can make a fandub.