My Name Is Nobody / Il mio nome è Nessuno (Tonino Valerii, Sergio Leone, 1973)

If some of you folks think Colizzi is so great, and better than Valerii, than why was he not voted in the hall of fame while Valerii was?

More people like Valerii?

Valerii 9 votes
Colizzi 2 votes

Where was all the support for Colizzi during the voting process?

I haven’t seen the last Colizzi for a long time (20 years?), but I prefer NOBODY to the first two Colizzis by far.

I prefer Nobody also to all 3 Colizzis, only that can’t obviously change my opinion about Valerii. :wink:

Colizzi doesn’t become much support because obviously people generally don’t like his films very much. The votes his 3 Spagies gathered for our Top 20 are also not that impressive.

I have a theory for him being constantly underrated. I think that the problem lies in the Spencer / Hill duo as the leads. Mainly because they are mostly identified with their comedies. I’m somehow sure if Hill’s lookalike Franco Nero would have played the part, which wouldn’t have changed the films a bit, Colizzi’s films would have achieved a greater popularity nowadays.
The other way round I’m not sure if Day of Anger would be that popular without van Cleef. Even if let’s say with Anthony Ghidra an actor would have taken his part, who probably would have been better in the role.

But of course this game can be played with every SW (and film).

A 2nd theory could be that his films are simply not good enough.

In the end I like talking about these things, but what I see and feel when watching Colizzi’s films can’t be changed by other people opinions. Or how they be rated in polls. Polls mostly only say how popular films are, seldom how good they are. Nevertheless I like our polls.

Enjoy the Spencer / Hill duo in the two Colizzi films I have seen so far.

Don’t think either were in my top 10, i’d probably put Colizzi above Valerii

[quote=“Col. Douglas Mortimer, post:161, topic:71”]If some of you folks think Colizzi is so great, and better than Valerii, than why was he not voted in the hall of fame while Valerii was?[/quote]It’s a matter of personal opinion. It’s like you say, “SOME” of you folks.

Always is.
In my opinion Colizzi can’t beat Valerii not even with “Kryptonite”. He made 3 spags: one good, one almost bad and the other is just crap.

Anyone have or seen the uncut 130 min Version

MY NAME IS NOBODY
Credits
Cast: Geoffrey Lewis, Leo Gordon, Terence Hill

Anamorphic Widescreen - 2.35
Audio:
Dolby Digital Mono - English

Director Tonino Valerii was formerly Sergio Leone’s assistant.

Additional cast: Piero Lulli (Sheriff) and Neil Summers (Westerner).

Presented by Sergio Leone.

Co-produced by Rafran Cinematografica, Les Film Jacques Leitienne, La Societe Imp. Ex. Ci., La Societe Alciter, and KG Co.

Shot on location in New Mexico, Colorado and Spain, in Panavision. Color by Technicolor.

Released in a 130-minute version in Italy.

Released in New York City on July 17, 1974. (117 min)

Never heard of a 130 min version. The 116 min version should be uncut.

maybe novocento knows more about that?

I guess it is a myth.

I saw the Italian version theatrically in 1980, I have two Italian VHS tapes
from the 80’s & 90’s - all the same length. (113 min PAL, maybe it was mispelled at one time to 130)

113 min Pal. That makes 117 - 118 min theatrically.

Mike, are the Italian versions longer than the Paramount DVD?

I’m with Mike on this, but you never know. Reminds me of the discussions had about a longer version of “Quien sabe?”

By the way, the question was originally asked here where the same response was given:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/forum/index.php?topic=1634.0

I’ll see if anyone over at the SLWB knows anything.

I have red in at least ten different books that the original Italian runningtime at the premier was 130 min!
and maybe it was cut after the premier like the good the bad and the ugly.

That’s pretty strange.
I stumbled in 20 different books never over such a runtime. All say 118 min.

The 2 missing min to the so called uncut 116 min version are most likely only music, or an intermission or something similar from the premiere version.

Just been thinking about this again. If there were a 130minute version, I would have expected Valerii to have insisted on this being the one used for his director’s commentary on the French disc, or would at the very least have mentioned its existence.

Watched the movie yesterday during the blistering heat to get in the right atmosphere. ;D Nah, but seriously… It’s been at least 18 years or longer since i last saw this movie (RTL plus back in the day) so i felt it was time for a long overdue revisitation. I remembered a few scenes like the bar scene and the opening credits with Nobody in the river fishing. But otherwise my memories were pretty hazy so i went in as open minded as possible, even though i despise comedic westerns.

Of course i did have quite high expectations since we do have an assemble cast (Hill & Fonda) and an a capable director(s) at the helm. The movie certainly wears his Leone trademark style on it’s sleeve. It might not be Leone behind the camera but his influence is certainly notable during alot of scenes. I myself have little use for comedy SW’s but this movie could prove to be exception for me.

I still cringe at the sight of those overcranked fight scenes but that’s simply a stylistic choice which often used in Italian comedies at the time. What really impresses me is how well the movie maintains a balance between comedy and more serious moments. I think Valerii really hit the nail on the head here. Hill is very charming in his role as the retiring gunfighter and gives us one of his last great roles, he almost made me choke up towards the end. Hill is his usually wisecracking character that keeps things fresh and quirky. I’m not too much of a fan of Hill but he does have his moments in this movie.

Apart from a few akward comedic moments i felt that this was an apt depature from the genre for Leone. The movie has all the right ingredients. Great characters, some great comedic as well as tense moments and an iconic soundtrack. Having watched this makes me all the more curious about it’s so called sequel “Nobody’s the Greatest”. Certainly not as bad as some people make it out to be but i can understand why this is not everybody’s cup of tea.

Here is something out of a PM of Chris Casey about who made what for My Name Is Nobody.

At first an earlier post from Chris in this thread:

All I can contribute is what actor/stuntman, Neil Summers (who portrayed Squirrel) told me about his experiences working on the film. Neil swears that Leone directed absolutely all of the sequences he was in and that Valerii seemed to be "just hanging around", for the most part, when these scenes were shot. Granted Neil was only in a few segments of the film; but, he said he stayed on while they were shooting in Spain--and he never saw anyone truly directing anything apart from Sergio Leone and the credited assistant director, Stefano Rolla.

And from the PM:

When I spoke to Neil Summers a few years ago, he told me that Sergio Leone directed all of his scenes for MY NAME IS NOBODY. He said he met Valerii, but that he had thought Valerii was Leone's Assistant Director on the film, at that time.

All else I can tell you would be of an indirect nature, such as the fact that the late Donald S. Bruce always used to tell us that when he spoke to Leo Gordon, RG Armstrong, Steve Kanaly, and Neil Summers they all told him that Leone directed all of the scenes of MY NAME IS NOBODY in which they appeared.
And I have never seen any behind-the-scenes footage for this film where Leone was not present. In most of those photos, he appears to be directing the cast, which in my mind pretty much makes him the director of the film.