My Name Is Nobody / Il mio nome è Nessuno (Tonino Valerii, Sergio Leone, 1973)

Which scenes?

First one is Red’s death scene. All the versions I had seen before has the line “you go fuck yourself”. German bd had “screw yourself”.
Other is in the urinal scene which is missing the fart sounds.

I guess around 5-10 minutes of some slapstick/comedy could have been cut out.
Still it is a strong 8/10 IMO.
I think the mixture of comedy & seriousness is specially attractively performed in My Name Is Nobody .
In general I don’t like lightheartness/comedy in SWs, but here we get an interesting angle with a partly comedic character (Hill) who observes the “real” serious western that is transforming and the professional gunmen (represented by Fonda) that belonged to it disappear (replaced by organized crime).

Personally I find the scenes with The Wild Bunch as the best enforced by the nice Morricone theme, and the ending with Fondas letter is also fine.

1 Like

Much less, I checked it once, and I think it was only about 2 - 4 min. Many of the comedy stuff works good enough, some is even very well made and integrated in the story.

It is only when there is comedy for the sake of comedy. Some of the more extreme stuff could be shortened, and would then work pretty fine.

Again, we need the Stanton cut …

1 Like

Funny, I am watching Gastaldi in an interview and he mixes up Valerii and Lupo. One really needs to be careful with these interviews as thes old geezers don’t have the best of memories anymore :slight_smile:

This movie’s page in the SWDb has been upgraded to the new “SWDb 3.0” format. Please have a look and let us know if there’s something you can add (information, trivia, links, pictures, etc.)

This one also looks good. Links all work fine.

1 Like

I’ve got a Scandi version that’s not on the database:

Picked it up years ago for cheap, but I put it on a bigger TV recently and I noticed the quality doesn’t hold up anymore.
Any opinions for upgrading? Sadly the USA ver is out of the question due to regioning. :frowning:
Also kinda curious about the Hill interview on the UK DVD now, but maybe I just hold out hope for a UK BluRay release… any day now right?!.. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

thanks, added it.
wouldn’t get my hopes up for great new releases, but a number of markets might be overdue for re-issues probably… the German discs aren’t too bad all things considered.

1 Like

Poll added (top of page).

Copied from SWDb General Maintenance:

1 Like

I am not sure why I wasn’t too impressed with the German Blu-ray initially. It actually looks very good! I think this film will always cheer you up no matter how you feel. I can’t fault it. 5/5 every time

2 Likes

The German Blu-ray does have an issue that makes it more or less unwatchable for me because it’s so distracting (to me). It’s probably better I won’t tell you any more about it because once you know it’s there you may be as irritated by it as I am. Just enjoy it as long as you don’t notice it. I envy you. :wink:

1 Like

A certain jerkiness in the film image every once in a while, perhaps? If so, that happens with the German copy Bluray copy I have…

1 Like

Please post and add the spoiler marking to it (it’s in the post formatting under the rightmost symbol)

Yes, it is a certain jerkiness. To be precise, I believe almost at every single cut point in the film, a portion of the lowest part (maybe an eighth of the image?) of the last frame before the edit jerks slightly to the left, if I remember correctly. And there are many, many cuts in a 2 hours movie. Once noticed I couldn’t unsee it anymore and get distracted by it enormously.

2 Likes

I was just irritated by the missing fart.

1 Like

My Name is Nobody needs the Arrow treatment for sure but overall the German Blu-ray looks fine to me. I was aware of the cuts but they weren’t too distracting.

I noticed the line “good fart” was missing immediately. A bit odd!

Line? No, I was talking about the guy at the urinal, there’s fart missing on the bluray. Also the line “you go fuck yourself” is changed to “you go screw yourself”.

1 Like

Maybe I’m getting mixed up with another film.

This happened to be on while I was at the in-laws today and I noticed something that hadn’t really dawned on me before.

There were not 150 sons of b*tches. There were 60…maybe 70…at the most.

We were cheated out of a good 80 or 90 sons of b*tches.

1 Like