Music genres

Since there have been this Beatles and Stones wave through the forum lately, I thought I would start a topi for music genres. What do you listen to etc.? I love Prog Rock, listening to King Crimson right now :).

Hip-hop, film soundtracks, Jazz, Funk, all sorts really. Can’t stand heavy metal though, leave that for the headbangers.

I like something from almost all genres of music, frankly. But, don’t find too much I like in the Country & Western genre or like my compadre, Yod, in the heavy metal genre. There are exceptions to even those genres, though. But, generally speaking…they aren’t my thing.

And the title for this thread is a bit misleading, Silence. You should make it Music genres instead of Movie genres. :wink:

Mainly listen to soundtracks…but that is no surprise to many people :slight_smile: .

My bad - changed it.

That is mainly what I listen to, as well.

I’m picky with my music. I really enjoy 50’s Rock and Roll, 60’s-70’s rock, classic folk (Dylan, Seeger), Calypso, Classical, some Blues (not so called R&B), some Rap, and occasionally reggae.

Cannot stand Country. For the life of me I don’t know how people can listen to it. I enjoy some Western music.

Been listening to a lot of Fats Domino lately.

For me, I like a wide variety of music. Classic Punk (Clash, Misfits, Damned), Funk (Meters, Parliament), 50/60’s early rock (Bill Haley, Buddy Holly), Blues (Muddy Waters, John Lee Hooker), 40’s (Andrews/McGuire Sisters), Easy Listening (Carpenters…YES the Carpenters >:( ) Classic Rock (Doors, Stones), Singer/Songwritter (Jim Croce) of course classic Hip Hop (Tribe Called Quest, Eric B & Rakim) & while I do agree with the omission of country I love Patsy Cline & Hank Williams Sr. as county & 50’s/60’s rock were very akin. In my Hip Hop production days I scoured various record stores & any musical genre’s digging for beats & samples & have since grown fond of any music that sounds good.

This is very true and that is why I made sure to say that I could even find some country that I like.

I…I…, I think you and I are pretty similar when it comes to having an eclectic taste in music, brother.
And I happen to like The Carpenters, as well! Yeah, that’s right I said it…I like The Carpenters, too!!
;D

Silence, I would like to know what you think about King Crimson. Apart from the first 2 albums it’s not so easy to hear them or like them. They have made fantastic albums in every decade.

I’m just hearing many of their live recordings from 69 (which are more jazzy than the album), and from 71/72, which was already quite a different band.

[quote=“Stanton, post:10, topic:2234”]Silence, I would like to know what you think about King Crimson. Apart from the first 2 albums it’s not so easy to hear them or like them. They have made fantastic albums in every decade.

I’m just hearing many of their live recordings from 69 (which are more jazzy than the album), and from 71/72, which was already quite a different band.[/quote]My dad’s got some King Crimson records, i must admit i don’t really know what they are like though.

[quote=“Stanton, post:10, topic:2234”]Silence, I would like to know what you think about King Crimson. Apart from the first 2 albums it’s not so easy to hear them or like them. They have made fantastic albums in every decade.

I’m just hearing many of their live recordings from 69 (which are more jazzy than the album), and from 71/72, which was already quite a different band.[/quote]
I love their earlier stuff from '69 and that’s also what I listen to.

Otherwise I also like the soundtrack Prog by Goblin.

Then hurry to hear them!

I love rock like that. Beyond that I listen to Jazz and Classical Music.

I love Jazz (especially Miles Davis and Charlie “Bird” Parker), Crooners and some Classical music like Strauss and some Blues (Robert Johnson is a particular favorite).

I too have a wide range of musical taste. I grew up hearing classical (Grams was a classical pianist) and I still love it. Vivaldi, Mozart, for the most part; I like choral work too. Allesandro Scarlatti is the fave there. I’m a punk at heart (or lack there of!), The Clash is #1 on the long list. I also like hardcore; Exploited, Agnostic Front, SSD, Minor Threat. Being a “hillbilly” from Ohio I also heard a lot of country and bluegrass. I like some of it, Mel Tillis, Buck Owens, Johnny Cash, Gillian Welch. Not a big jazz fan but I love blues. Swing, reggae, dancehall, some folk. And I too grew up hearing the Carpenters and still love them! ;D

I don’t like genres as such. I like Pink Floyd, Dream Theater, and King Crimson, but I’m not too fond of Yes or Genesis, so do I like Prog Rock?

I like Led Zeppelin, Tool and Metallica, but I’m not a big fan of most other Heavy metal bands

I like the early Radiohead, but am not keen on their later albums

I like Leonard Cohen and Joni Mitchell, but find most other singer/songwriters uninteresting

I like Beethoven, Brahms, Bruckner and Mozart, but Bach or Händel leave me cold

I don’t like jazzzzzzz

lots of love for the Clash…one of my faves too

music genres?

punk (Ramones, Clash, Dead Kennedys, Stooges)
garage rock (Black Lips, White Stripes, Black Keys)
hiphop (Wu Tang, Nas, Mobb Deep)
rockabilly (Elvis, Roy Orbison)
blues (Son House, Junior Kimbrough, Albert King, Stevie Ray)
outlaw country (Johnny Cash, Willie Nelson, all the Hanks, Waylon Jennings)
indie rock (Yeah Yeah Yeahs, Deerhoof, MGMT)
Trip Hop (Portishead, Bjork)

also, classical, 80’s pop/rock, roots reggae, surf rock, jazz, alternative, soundtracks, some metal, spanish (mariachi, tejano music), soul/do-wop, ect…

Grew up with grunge, but I like a wide range of genres.

Love that stuff, too!
I also like flamenco guitar and the Nuevo-Flamenco stuff, as well.

80s metal
UK crust

I listen to a lot of things but those two I like the most