Movie Addiction

Ever feel like your love of films is like an out of control addiction? I’ve been getting that thought lately, with how much time and money I spend on my collection… Sometimes it feels like the films are in control :smiley:

Always enjoying though…

In Germany the word for passion is “Leidenschaft”. And “leiden” means to suffer.

The trick is to keep always the balance between enjoying and suffering …

I like that… There does always seem to be some amount of suffering involved with any passion

[quote=“Stanton, post:2, topic:2026”]In Germany the word for passion is “Leidenschaft”. And “leiden” means to suffer.

The trick is to keep always the balance between enjoying and suffering …[/quote]

In terms of my passion for these films I suspect my wife would say this balance is kept in our house by me enjoying and her suffering :smiley:

Passion originally means suffering or to suffer
It refers to the passion of the Christ, which was quite a Leiden, aber er hat’s geschaft

Funny and I’m sure many of us can relate :smiley:

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:5, topic:2026”]Passion originally means suffering or to suffer
It refers to the passion of the Christ, which was quite a Leiden, aber er hat’s geschaft[/quote]

Ahhh… thanks for the schooling. Seems like something I should of known already. What does geschaft mean?

It’s correctly “geschafft”. From schaffen (create) with 2 f

Ich habe es geschafft or Es ist geschafft means I’ve done it or I made it.

Cagney’s line in White Heat “Made it Ma” was translated with “Ich habs geschafft Mutter”.

I see… so would Leidenschaft be translated along the lines of a suffering I’ve made/created?

No, that’s a nonsense derivation, a hobby of mine

‘passion’ has a greek/latin liguistic root, meaning ‘suffer’, ‘suffering’
I’ve just cheked it: the more ‘positive’ sense (having a passion for something) dates from the 16th century.

Leidenschaft:

Leiden - from suffer
schaft - this is not a word, but is used only in connection with other words like in Freundschaft (friendship) or Mannschaft (team) or Gesellschaft (society)

A direct translation would be suffership, only that would be a new word. Sounds somehow good, maybe I use it to describe SWs in the future.

Yes, Suffership is a good word and the fact that it doesn’t actually exist shouldn’t stop us using it. Especially in regards to the films of Fidani or Crea or anything with Van Cleef sporting a wig.

I think a more accurate term in relation to viewing these films is makesureyouarenotsobership

[quote=“Stanton, post:10, topic:2026”]Leidenschaft:

Leiden - from suffer
schaft - this is not a word, but is used only in connection with other words like in Freundschaft (friendship) or Mannschaft (team) or Gesellschaft (society)

A direct translation would be suffership, only that would be a new word. Sounds somehow good, maybe I use it to describe SWs in the future.[/quote]

I like it too, the suffix -ship (German: -schaft, Dutch: -schap) does exist in English, so why not suffership

Conversation A.D. 1990:

“What a suffership, losing on penalties again’, said sir Bobby Robson to his assistent
"You are right, you lordship!”
“We’re going to have shiploads of criticism, I suppose”
“Shitloads?”
“yeah, shitloads too”
“Then don’t read the newspapers tomorrow, read a good book instead;”
“Which one? Watership Down?”
“Ship of Fools”
“Jesus Christ! I’m not passionate about that one”

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:13, topic:2026”]Conversation A.D. 1990:

“What a suffership, losing on penalties again’, said sir Bobby Robson to his assistent
“Shitloads?”
“yeah, shitloads too”
“Ship of Fools”
“Jesus Christ! I’m not passionate about that one”[/quote]

:smiley: Well done

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:13, topic:2026”]Conversation A.D. 1990:

“Shitloads?”
“yeah, shitloads too”
“Ship of Fools”
“Jesus Christ! I’m not passionate about that one”[/quote]

Ha ha, great, could happen again (without Bobby this time). Truth is I hope they win the cup in 2010.

What?!?
Are you sure you’re really German Stanton?
Don’t get me wrong, we’re happy to get any support we can. I just never expected to get any from your neck of the woods :smiley:

I always had a soft spot for the English team, and I always was suffering with them when there way ended in the quarter finals. This year they have probably a team to achieve a bit more. Hope that Germany and England won’t meet before the final.

My latest SW suffership was btw Black Killer this afternoon. A big bore.

I always had a soft spot for Sir Bobby Robson
I had the pleasure to meet him once at the Herdgang, the training facilities of PSV Eindhoven. Had a very good conversation with him, about his work as a coach, about working with Dutch players (he had worked with Mühren and Thijssen in Ipswich already), about working in Holland and about his illness: he was already suffering from cancer, but still working twelve hours a day, seven days a week. Magnificent man. Magnificent gentleman too.

Often wonder whether I will get to view all the films in my to watch pile before I die.