Minnesota Clay (Sergio Corbucci, 1964)

I liked it better than other early Corbucciā€™s SW - Johnny Oro. Iā€™m mentioning them both in the same sentence because they both share half-American western, half-spaghetti feeling. Cameron Mitchell does a good job as the title character, Fernando Sanchoā€™s appearance is alwatys a good thing and Ethel Rojo is hot in this one. In my opionion music is unremarkable except for the nice main theme. My version doesnā€™t have the happy ending, but from what i heard it has to be stupid. Corbucci got it right with bad ending :wink:
7/10

My version doesnā€™t have the happy ending, but from what i heard it has to be stupid. Corbucci got it right with bad ending :wink:
7/10
[/quote]
I have two versions from ā€˜Minnesota Clayā€™,both with happy end.In the last scene Clay drop the glasses and shoot.When he ride away you see the broken glasses.
I thought the bad end is a rumor from Weisser ?

[quote=ā€œLankyFellow, post:42, topic:454ā€]I have two versions from ā€˜Minnesota Clayā€™,both with happy end.In the last scene Clay drop the glasses and shoot.When he ride away you see the broken glasses.
I thought the bad end is a rumor from Weisser ?[/quote]
It does exist. In this one Clay apparently dies in the arms of his daughter after killing Fox.

Lanky, which is the 2nd happy end version then?

The one you described is on the german DVD (also on TV) and is 4 min longer, the 4 happy end minutes.

On the DVD you can see as bonus the bad end (in bad quality), which is simply the film ending 4 min earlier.

A 3rd version around?

No,i dont think that thereā€™s a third version.
I dont have the DVD,i have the VHS from Arcade and a TV version.
In these two the end is the same,but the beginning with the credits are different.
On VHS the credits run over a still image,on the TV version they run over a red ground,suppose this is the right one

I just finished watching it and my version has the alternate happy ending (in Italian with English subs while the rest of the movie is dubbed in English). I liked it for the most part. Though the happy ending seems out of place the regular ending (with Clay lying in the street) does not mean heā€™s dead but at least itā€™s more realistic. Cameron Mitchell fits in fine as the titular character. Heā€™s supposed to be older (saw some people saying getting a younger actor) as he has a daughter - would Gemma fit the role of a man with a 20 year old daughter? donā€™t think so. I have no issues with spaghetti westerns that have a sorta American feel to them.

If they had choosen Gemma, the girlā€™s role should have been changed to his sister.

yes very true. I was thinking that as well.

No need to change anything, Cameron Mitchell is great, as is the whole movie. I really like this one a lot.

I didnā€™t know there was an alternate endingā€¦ I only know the happy one.

[quote=ā€œDillinger, post:50, topic:454ā€]I didnā€™t know there was an alternate endingā€¦ I only know the happy one.[/quote]Alternate/unhappy ending is just shorter version. It ends with Clay dying on the street.

Eventually the ā€œhappyā€ end isnā€™t really a full happy one eitherā€¦

True but slightly more happy than him dead - I would have preferred the ending of him lying there - is he dead or isnā€™t he - I would have left it open ended.

Decent movie, however it needs to have the unhappy ending.

3/5 but I think I preferred Johnny Oro to this one though!

Prefer the unhappy ending myself.

Here in the US, I saw this movie countless times on TV when I was young. The US version always ended with Clay apparently dying in the arms of his daughter who was crying out for help.
I never knew there was an alternate happy ending until I bought the Japanese SPO DVD back in the earlier part of this decade.

I, too, prefer the unhappy ending.

This is actually one of my favorite early Spaghetti Westerns.

Like this quite a bit also, just recently saw the extended ending and donā€™t care for it. I like the ending with him lying in the street much better.

Why do people think every film should have a happy ending?too many happy endings are dangerous! :o

Not everybody is thinking like that. I prefer the Ending with the dying Clay.
IMO many Film Producers believe that a happy ending sells a movie better. :slight_smile:

[quote=ā€œPaco Roman, post:59, topic:454ā€]Not everybody is thinking like that. I prefer the Ending with the dying Clay.
IMO many Film Producers believe that a happy ending sells a movie better. :)[/quote]not to me they donā€™t! the occasional happy ending is ok now and again, but for me the darker and unhappy the ending the happier i am, thatā€™s why i love horror movies so much.iā€™m a miserable bastard! lol