Minnesota Clay (Sergio Corbucci, 1964)

http://xploitedcinema.com/catalog/minnesota-clay-p-3970.html

I have it marked as Australian but I don’t really know what it is. The cover has an address in Australia for the DVD company but it’s fake as far as I know and Shoarma Digital is just one of the many bootleg companies (wouldn’t even surprise me if it’s actually same as some other ones).

I’m pretty sure that Shoarma and Alpha digital are the same and they’re from US. I’m not sure what’s their connection with Luminous film and video werks.
At dvdaf.com their releases are marked as
Shoarma Digital Ltd. (Luminous Film & Video Werks),
UNAUTHORIZED RELEASE,
U.S.

When I watched Minnesota Clay I had no great expectation. Found it pretty good and I also think that this is a fine example for an underrated SW.
I watched the German Release, so there was a happy end in the movie but as Special the other end too . The other end is much better . So there was a blind SW Hero before Blindman. Liked the Music Score and Cameron Mitchell was IMO believeable as old Outlaw. Director Corbucci did a good work, maybe not his best SW but it’s entertaining and not a waste of time. :slight_smile:

[quote=“Paco Roman, post:24, topic:454”]When I watched Minnesota Clay I had no great expectation. Found it pretty good and I also think that this is a fine example for an underrated SW.
I watched the German Release, so there was a happy end in the movie but as Special the other end too . The other end is much better . So there was a blind SW Hero before Blindman. Liked the Music Score and Cameron Mitchell was IMO believeable as old Outlaw. Director Corbucci did a good work, maybe not his best SW but it’s entertaining and not a waste of time. :)[/quote]

I agree with you, amigo!
I have always thought MINNESOTA CLAY was underrated. Mostly, I think, because people tend to try to compare it to Corbucci’s later works like DJANGO, THE GREAT SILENCE, and so forth.
It is a massive improvement over his MASSACRE AT GRAND CANYON!
MINNESOTA CLAY is very well done.
It is one of my favorite early SW’s.

I, too, prefer the ending where Clay dies in the street.

I agree. He is quite good to me. Also, I love the Monte Hellman films. They both make my top ten American westerns.

Really, though, Ethel Rojo is very hot looking in this. I love her outfit. Kind of unusual for a western (even a Spaghetti). Don’t see the bare midriff too often. A lusty hint of what’s above and below.

[quote=“Romaine Fielding, post:26, topic:454”]I agree. He is quite good to me. Also, I love the Monte Hellman films. They both make my top ten American westerns.

Really, though, Ethel Rojo is very hot looking in this. I love her outfit. Kind of unusual for a western (even a Spaghetti). Don’t see the bare midriff too often. A lusty hint of what’s above and below.[/quote]

Agree with you on Ethel Rojo!!!
As well as the Hellman films.
And while I am at it, I might just as well confess that I loved THE HIGH CHAPARRAL (haven’t seen any episodes since I was a kid, though) and my favorite character was Buck (Cameron Mitchell). I just thought he looked and sounded cool!
But, to be frank…I guess I should have said Buck was ONE of my favorite characters on that show. My REAL favorite character was Victoria, played by Linda Cristal! My first celebrity crush, I think!
:slight_smile:

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:27, topic:454”]Agree with you on Ethel Rojo!!!
As well as the Hellman films.
And while I am at it, I might just as well confess that I loved THE HIGH CHAPARRAL (haven’t seen any episodes since I was a kid, though) and my favorite character was Buck (Cameron Mitchell). I just thought he looked and sounded cool!
But, to be frank…I guess I should have said Buck was ONE of my favorite characters on that show. My REAL favorite character was Victoria, played by Linda Cristal! My first celebrity crush, I think!
:)[/quote]

I have found in adulthood that many of the western tv series I loved as a kid have not withstood (to me) the test of time. But High Chaparral I think I would still like if I saw it today. And Linda Cristal would be big reason why! Ole!

[quote=“Chris_Casey, post:27, topic:454”]But, to be frank…I guess I should have said Buck was ONE of my favorite characters on that show. My REAL favorite character was Victoria, played by Linda Cristal! My first celebrity crush, I think!
:)[/quote]

Ahh, boyhood celebrity crushes. I had a veritable swarm of them and Linda Cristal fits right in there. Although my first was almost certainly Diana Rigg as Emma Peel. She made a very big and lasting impression.

The review is now in the database

Fantastic review again sherpy - Balanced, and very informative with all the incedentals. Thanks a lot.
It’s due another viewing.

i also agree that cameron mitchell was good in this and got over the right amount of sympathy.in my opinon he was better in his italian made films mostly of the “sword and sandal” types playing vikings or romans.he ended up rather like john carradine in many poor low budget pictures towards the end of his career.found him rather annoying as"buck" in the western t.v series “the high chapparal” for some reason.

http://imageshack.us

MINNESOTA CLAY (1965, Sergio Corbucci) - REVIEW

Dir: Sergio Corbucci. Cast: Cameron Mitchell, Georges Rivière, Ethel Rojo, Fernando Sancho, Diana Martin, Antonio Casas, Antonio Rosas, Nando poggi, Alberto Cevenini. Music: Piero Piccioni

A gunfighter named Minnesota Clay (Mitchell) escapes from a labor camp and starts looking for the man who framed him for a crime he didn’t commit. The main suspect, a man called Fox (Rivière), has been hired by the people of a small town to protect them against a Mexican bandit, Ortiz (Sancho), but he has started to run a protection racket, asking increasingly more protection money. The Mexicans try to hire Clay to kill Fox, but Clay is misled and …

For more see:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Minnesota_Clay_Review

Heh-heh! Truly different strokes for different folks, as they say…but, I found him cool as hell as Buck in THE HIGH CHAPARRAL. When I was a kid and we were playing cowboys, I always wanted to be Buck (if I couldn’t be Manolito)!

Agree with you Chris; Buck had it goin’ on…

Minnesota Clay has an old-fashioned USA western feel to it, it is an ok movie though.

3 stars.

As far as I remeber girls loved Manolito, boys liked Buck
I liked Buck a lot, he was more or less the black sheep of the family, the freewheeling uncle everybody envied

[quote=“scherpschutter, post:38, topic:454”]As far as I remeber girls loved Manolito, boys liked Buck
I liked Buck a lot, he was more or less the black sheep of the family, the freewheeling uncle everybody envied[/quote]

But Manolito was definitely the cool one. Buck was a bit of an old man really.

???

DATABASE: http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Minnesota_Clay

There is a link error on this movies page.

The link for Pictures takes you to the editing page for pictures and not to the images themselves.

I see from reading this thread that we have some excellent posters for the movie.

My lack of Wiki knowledge is keeping me from fixing this link. :frowning: