Man Who Cried for Revenge / Il suo nome gridava vendetta (Mario Caiano, 1968)

thank you very much friend!! but i had found it in this page from a friend, thank you anyway, but i steel waiting for a wild east version

and me too

Promised to send a friend a copy of this one so thought Iā€™d watch it before sending.

The best thing about it by far is the excellent cast. Steffen, Berger, Galli, Hundar, Baldassare, Brega. Thatā€™s a seriously good cast if you donā€™t have top flight money. The pity is the film, despite being OK for the most part, never really lives up to its potential. There are films that wind up being more than the sum of their parts but this one is kind of the opposite. Looks better on paper than it winds up doing as a finished product. Itā€™s not terrible by a long shot. And does include a fine Steffen roll and shoot (and suitable hat) so obviously is to be admired in places. You are just left with a feeling that it all should be a bit better than it actually is. Better than some Iā€™ve seen recently (step forward Beyond the Frontiers of Hate) but thatā€™s not such a big ask really.

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:23, topic:1393ā€]Promised to send a friend a copy of this one so thought Iā€™d watch it before sending.

The best thing about it by far is the excellent cast. Steffen, Berger, Galli, Hundar, Baldassare, Brega. Thatā€™s a seriously good cast if you donā€™t have top flight money. The pity is the film, despite being OK for the most part, never really lives up to its potential. There are films that wind up being more than the sum of their parts but this one is kind of the opposite. Looks better on paper than it winds up doing as a finished product. Itā€™s not terrible by a long shot. And does include a fine Steffen roll and shoot (and suitable hat) so obviously is to be admired in places. You are just left with a feeling that it all should be a bit better than it actually is. Better than some Iā€™ve seen recently (step forward Beyond the Frontiers of Hate) but thatā€™s not such a big ask really.[/quote]
i like it a lot, the action is cool and long especialy the end 20 minutes of shooting!
there is no gold here or bank robbery here itā€™s something else, i say something original

Gotta disagree with B.L. on this about the start and side with Bill - first 30 mins had me hooked.
As Phil pointed out, the roll and shoot and decently sized hat added to the Steffen presence but It was the relationship twixt Steffen and Berger that didnā€™t really work for meā€¦ I didnā€™t really understand Bergerā€™s motivation within the plot, and he looked a bit lost in this like he didnā€™t understand it either. The fight in a river was a cliche too far, but I was happy to go along with this sort of nonsense, and get through the boring mid-section. The alcoholic woman was a nice touch :o and thankfully nothing here was played for laughs.
Overall, this had a cool restrained feel with a bit of blood ā€˜nā€™ mud thrown in and an autumnal atmosphere.
I didnā€™t really notice that the shootout was as protracted as others have mentioned, so I mustā€™ve been ready for a bit of action, but Iā€™m never really been a fan of nitro-use as a get-out and itā€™s overused here.

It kept me in the zone though. Steffen was great. Berger a bit of a letdown.
Half marks rounded up for the hat - 3 stars.

;D

Was a while before I got into this one. Maybe it was because I had not seen Steffen in a big hat for a while :stuck_out_tongue: . What a slime ball Berger is in this one. Hundar had a good look about him I thought. Very still atmosphere in the film at times, especially some of the end scenes. Enjoyed the protracted gunfight at the end, bit of a sucker for them actually. Viewed the fandub of the German dvd, and what an excellent job the dubber did on removing any or what hiss on the english soundtrack. A not bad average western.

Forget about Beethoven, forget about Chuck Berry, hereā€™s the real rollover man:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/The_Man_who_cried_for_Revenge_Review

Just viewed this one again and my thoughts (see above) are pretty much the same as before. Had to laugh at the melodramtic scenes of Steffenā€™s wife being a drunk :stuck_out_tongue: .

[quote=ā€œDatabase Reviewā€]The action scenes are well-staged and Enzo Barboniā€™s cinematography is magnificent, making the very best of the western town of the Laurentiis Studios (I thought some scenes were shot in the Elios western town too) (1).

(1) Federico De Zigno, on DB Cult, thinks all town scenes were shot in western town of The Elios Studios. See:
[url]http://www.dbcult.com/movie-database/suo-nome-gridava-vendetta-1968/[/url][/quote]

Both western towns are present in this one: De Laurentiis is Dixon and Elios is Goldfield, that is how it is.

Il suo nome gridava vendetta
This is one of my favorite movies. I can watch the scene from the inn every day. First, a priceless reaction to the doctorā€™s screams, and then the twelfe oā€™clock and four gunslingers killed. The second super fragment is escape from the prison vehicle. Another the defeating a gang of thugs attacking the roads, gypsy crooks, avengers in the town.

Also the scene where Berger goes into his sadistic frenzy. He played it great.

I love this movie overall, and so do Django il bastardo. I mainly watch the originals, i.e. the Italian version, because for me the voice and tone of the actor are also important, and Antonio de Teffe himself speaks in Italian films

1 Like

I really hope Koch will release this one, itā€™s been on my to-watch list ever since I saw the trailer on the Wild East DVD, For a Few Previews More.

I donā€™t expect it to be a hidden gem or anything like that but I want to see everything with Steffen and Berger, especially if it is from '68-69!

If you donā€™t mind streaming, you could watch it here for free in HD:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UfT8sYmRHfo

That channel actually seems to be an official channel by Minerva Pictures. Explains why they seem to release these on youtube slightly after Minerva puts them up at Amazon UK.

(of course anybody could just copy them from Amazon and put them upā€¦ or upscale dvds, put them up and call them HDā€¦ I donā€™t trust some of the other channels thereā€¦ :wink: ).

1 Like

According to his Italian Wikipedia entry, it was Pino Locchi who dubbed Anthony Steffenā€™s voice in both films you mentioned.

I uploaded this link and it was deleted as it was against community rules.

If that were the case, it would mean that Antonio de Teffe was mute, or did not know Italian, or maybe he lisped or freaked out, because he has the same voice in every Italian version. In each, also from outside the SW, since the 1950s (eg ā€œI ragazzi del juke boxā€ - with Elke Sommer and Adriano Celentano, or ā€œLe diciottenniā€ - with Virna Lissi) through the 1960s and 1970s as ā€œun angelo per satanaā€, ā€œsedicianniā€, ā€œSette scialli di seta giallaā€, ā€œgli assasini sono nostri ospitiā€, ā€œAl tropico del cancroā€. So if this information is true, then the same person was always speaking for him. Interesting :blush:
Berger was different, he didnā€™t have to know Italian, and in the Italian movies he always has a different voice.
greetings

Why has this post not been deleted yet? When I posted the link to the YouTube upload, it was deleted for being against community rules.

Nobody dares to delete my posts. :wink:

No but I suspect it is because the channel has quite a lot of things (starting from that nameā€¦) that make it appear like it might just be uploading stuff without actual permission.

Perhaps before I mentioned it is an official channel by Minerva Pictures nobody knew that. Now they know better.

Do you understand Italian or they have subtitles?