Man Who Cried for Revenge / Il suo nome gridava vendetta (Mario Caiano, 1968)

Database entry: Suo nome gridava vendetta, Il - The Spaghetti Western Database

I had a hard time getting into this movie as the first thirty minutes or so were pretty boring. After this the movie got better mainly because there was more action. The plot is very weak, about a guy with amnesia who wants revenge on the guy that shot him in the back. He then learns he also has a wife, who is now an alcoholic. It’s laughable how he gets his memory back. (I won’t spoil it, but you’ll need only one guess). The action is quite alright with a more than decent body count and a lot of explosions caused by bottles filled with nitroglycerin. William Berger is of course fun to watch. Steffen’s performance… well, he showed up. Some pretty unremarkable acting as most of the time with this guy. But I rarely dislike him, which is a good thing I guess.

Version watched: German E-M-S dvd. Pretty decent quality, widescreen but slightly cropped. No crystal clear image but pretty good for such a cheapo release. Geman audio only.

Funny thing is that the German title refers to Django, but even in the German version there is not a character named Django in sight.

Well, I’m sure you know, that in Germany there are more Djangos than everywhere else :wink:

wow, surprisingly great film. good music, acting, and a very long finale… absolutely recommended

Actually, I’d have enjoyed this movie a lot more if the finale hadn’t been so protracted.

Doesn’t the final shoot-out last for something like 30 or 40 minutes? That’s way too much, especially if the action is staged without much imagination or variety (Caiano has done better elsewhere, in my opinion). It’s not exciting, just numbing. Perhaps the stunt players made overtime demands.

Of course, this kind of self-indulgence was rife during the genre’s peak period, but it’s a shame as this is a pretty good film overall.

I didn’t like this one at all. Might be a candidate for my worst top 20 had Steffen and Berger not been present.

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:1, topic:1393”]I had a hard time getting into this movie as the first thirty minutes or so were pretty boring. After this the movie got better mainly because there was more action. The plot is very weak, about a guy with amnesia who wants revenge on the guy that shot him in the back. He then learns he also has a wife, who is now an alcoholic. It’s laughable how he gets his memory back. (I won’t spoil it, but you’ll need only one guess). The action is quite alright with a more than decent body count and a lot of explosions caused by bottles filled with nitroglycerin. William Berger is of course fun to watch. Steffen’s performance… well, he showed up. Some pretty unremarkable acting as most of the time with this guy. But I rarely dislike him, which is a good thing I guess.

Version watched: German E-M-S dvd. Pretty decent quality, widescreen but slightly cropped. No crystal clear image but pretty good for such a cheapo release. Geman audio only.

Funny thing is that the German title refers to Django, but even in the German version there is not a character named Django in sight.[/quote]

Well, so’s the movie and so’s the German DVD.

Only that I think that Steffen was better in this one than usual. Great hat, this time.

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:1, topic:1393”]I had a hard time getting into this movie as the first thirty minutes or so were pretty boring. After this the movie got better mainly because there was more action.[/quote]just the opposite, the beginning was better directed and had cool atmosphere but after that the boring part starts, especially the mentioned final shoot out which just seems to go on forever. Nothing wrong with long action scenes if they’re done well but here it just doesn’t work.

[quote=“Stanton, post:6, topic:1393”]Only that I think that Steffen was better in this one than usual. Great hat, this time.[/quote]LOL! Yeah, Steffen gives his 100% Steffen performance here, I even cheered at 14:20 when he made his famous dive.

Really like the music from this one.

[quote=“Silence, post:8, topic:1393”]Really like the music from this one.[/quote]Yeah, I liked it too. Very good cast too along Steffen: Berger, Undari, Baldassarre, Brega & Galli.

Great cast!

I watched this one last night. The music it’s weird but fits perfectly. Overall I think the movie has lot of weakness, but the action scenes were well done, the nitro adds a special touch.

I like the score alot and its easy to watch… I gave it 3 and i’m being generous, as I can’t really remember most of what happens and I only saw it yesterday.

yea!!!

very rare spaghetti western i have one poor copy with horible picture and sound
i hope one day to see it coming from wild east or koch media
i know there is one german dvd but it’s have german audio and not english
the final shoot outs have it’s awesome!!! good to see anthony steffen, wiliam berger,
mario brega, undari, raf baldassare, ida gali all together in this one! this movie
deserve much much better!! i can’t wait for a special edition dvd!!

[quote=“sartana1968, post:14, topic:1393”]very rare spaghetti western i have one poor copy with horible picture and sound
i hope one day to see it coming from wild east or koch media
i know there is one german dvd but it’s have german audio and not english
the final shoot outs have it’s awesome!!! good to see anthony steffen, wiliam berger,
mario brega, undari, raf baldassare, ida gali all together in this one! this movie
deserve much much better!! i can’t wait for a special edition dvd!![/quote]

There is an audiodubbed version of the German dvd floating around…

I have a fandub made by a friend of Franco Cleef.

Just made a Germen review:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Django_spricht_das_Nachtgebet

wher can i find a copy??? i’am crazy for this movie!

[quote=“Dillinger, post:17, topic:1393”]Just made a Germen review:

http://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Django_spricht_das_Nachtgebet[/quote]
my god the picture was sssssoooo good!!! but the audio too bad there is only german, i watch the pictures again and again
and i cried me now, english audio please or a italian audio with english subtitles!

I wish I still had the email address for the guy who did it. You can try contacting FC about it, kingriek@shaw.ca, its done by a friend of his. And it comes with cover art too. I think its 14 dollars including shipping.