Machete & The Future of Modern Westerns

I wanted to discuss this.

Machete seems similar in the veins of the Spaghetti Westerns… Does that mean we get to see more of such films.
I wouldn’t mind if they did more sequels to Machete.

Rodriguez should do more films like these.

Yeah I think Book of Eli was also a kind of western as well. We will probably see more modern westerns, but we probably won’t see that many real westerns.

Yes, Book of Eli was a lot like a western…

But Machete had that B-movie feel to it… The lead actor, the character name, the campiness, etc.

But you’re right, we won’t get to see that many real westerns.

I hope we get sequels to Machete but It only just made its money back in the box office…

It was a great B movie Steven Seagal really shined in this movie too

Isnt every revenge flick a modern western in away ?

Book of Eli was a fantastic post end time Western but the ending was so bad it almost ruined all the fantastic stuff at the start of the film … I hope to see more films like book of eli or just even plain westerns done in the same light

I totally agree. We’ll have to look for our westerns hidden within’ other films. BOOK OF ELI was definitely a post modern wester. Anything done by Rodriguez and Tarantino is going to have references to westerns. The character Machete standing with his hands on his lapels holding his coat open is a direct copy James Coburn in DUCK YOU SUCKER. THE POSTMAN with Kevin Costner is basically a western. I’m hoping with the success of the EXPENDABLES maybe just maybe some director will round up some of the old cowboys Sellick, Elliott etc and make a RETURN OF THE SEVEN type western. That would be great to see these guys one more time.

I don’t really see how Machete is a western, however. There are lots of “modern westerns” out there, but I wouldn’t have included Machete…

Like I mentioned in the first post, Machete is done in the veins of Spaghetti Westerns…
I just added Modern Westerns in the title so people could link the 2 topics & discuss what we might expect in the near future…

& You’re right, I wouldn’t consider Machete a western… Though Once Upon A Time In Mexico can be considered a Burrito Western, Machete lacks many themes to make it a western… It’s a standard action film with many references to the Western genre.

They haven’t brought the goddamn thing here in Greece yet and I really want to see it.

I`m fed up with films like Machete!!! But the book of Eli was GREAT!!!

I liked Machete. Can’t see much of a western in it though, but Jessica Alba role was called Sartana…
Let’s make our prayers for a “Machete kills”! ;D

“Machete don’t text”

lol

[quote=“genesis_pig, post:11, topic:2523”]“Machete don’t text”

lol[/quote]

That could be used in a prequel…

Machete may not have alot of elements of a western, but its a good old fashioned action exploitation flick. Hollywood should make more movies like this.

yeah it should… but there’s plenty good old exploitation love going around on dvd and bluray, in fact more than one could possibly watch. so as long as you have some money to spend, you can just ignore 96% of what’s coming out of hollywood and have a beer in front of your tv

Eh, I’m sure I’ll enjoy Machete when I eventually get to see it, but I’m already kind of tired of the whole Tarantino/Rodriguez grindhouse thing. It’s all so tongue in cheek and knowingly ironic and whatever, it’s become a bit of a director wankfest. I don’t care so much about seeing a homage to exploitation films which undermines its source material by presenting those films as too ridiculous to be anything much more than fun. I’m sure that’s not Rodriguez’s true intention, but that’s what happens if your “homage” is essentially parody.

Exploitation films, much like spaghetti westerns, have their own special flaws. There are lots of features which betray cheap production values, plenty of features which are comical to modern viewers. However, as any discerning viewer will tell you, if you look past those shortcomings you will find intelligent film-making with plenty of powerful and haunting scenes. Directors didn’t en masse set out to make silly films, they set out to excite their viewers. I wish the likes of Tarantino and Rodriguez could restrain themselves and make movies in the spirit of the films they love, rather than collaging their favorite bits, warts and all.

Sounds like I need to check out Book of Eli, though.

Pretty much been doing this for a long time now :smiley: .

I agree with this too…

The best thing about Rodriguez is that he keeps the original campiness of the genre he is exploiting…
Unlike Tarantino, who makes it over the Top.

But they’re both masters at what they do.

I admire Rodriguez for Machete, he makes Danny Trejo the lead in a movie wuth Robert Deniro as a secondary minor villain…
Deniro’s character is easily the east interesting character in the film.
Then you have Seagal as a main villain, probably the best acting job he has ever done in his entire life…

Only Rodriguez can do all this.

[quote=“genesis_pig, post:18, topic:2523”]The best thing about Rodriguez is that he keeps the original campiness of the genre he is exploiting…
Unlike Tarantino, who makes it over the Top.

But they’re both masters at what they do.

I admire Rodriguez for Machete, he makes Danny Trejo the lead in a movie wuth Robert Deniro as a secondary minor villain…
Deniro’s character is easily the east interesting character in the film.
Then you have Seagal as a main villain, probably the best acting job he has ever done in his entire life…

Only Rodriguez can do all this.[/quote]

In any case the best piece of acting for Danny Trejo (apart from Sherrybaby), it’s Michael Man Heat, great film and great acting from everyone in it.

Yeh another notable reason for the movie being good is Steven Seagal… apart from his silly LAWMAN show
(which is still better then some of his latest direct to dvd movies) its good to see him in the spot light not being made fun of