Machete & The Future of Modern Westerns

Btw all you Rodriguez fans, don’t miss to check out these:

www.robert-rodriguez.info
and it’s Facebook page Redirecting... and twitter http://www.twitter.com/RodriguezNews

I was watching an animated movie with my son last week and it had a trailer for a movie called “Rango”. It’s an animated kids movie from Nickelodeon, but it looks like it is heavily influenced by SW’s. I put the link below

fun trailer

Machete not a very deep film, but good fun if you are in that frame of mind. Lots of stars seemed to have enjoyed themselves. Tom Savini never seems to look any older these days.

Rango looks like a cross between SW’s & Fear & Loathing…

Really cool!

yeh Rango Looks awesome…

Really looking forward to Rango :slight_smile:

It looks great, the animation looks stunning. In the movie connections on imdb it says its referencing Django - "Rango is a parody of Spaghetti Westerns, and its title is a reference to this groundbreaking Spaghetti Western. "

You make a good point and the western genre does find itself in a difficult position currently. Despite it exhibiting many different facets over the years, the western is still, primarily, an action adventure genre. But the style of action films has changed radically over the past couple of decades (a time when the western has been largely asleep) and is now dominated by high impact and almost relentless action. This does not suit the western as it is, despite its action roots, a genre better suited to a slow burn. Consequently, much of what has been made in the genre by the major studios over the past few years has bordered on the historical drama rather than action adventure film. The 'slow story…fast violence) of which you speak.
Not sure what the answer is. Maybe the genre blending of Western / horror or Western / Sci Fi (Cowboys Vs Aliens for example) which seems to be raising its head again might do the trick for a younger audience and allow for the west to fit with the modern film making style of mainstream action movies. I’m not sure.

saw True Grit the other day. good flick, but didn’t touch me. seen better coen movies…

Agreed. Great flick, but not what Hollywood needs to bring the western back, like spuff said the majority of modern westerns have the same tone. Haven’t really seen anything modern that feels like a SW. Just ain’t gritty enough.

Actually, modern Westerns are probably more “realistic” than ever. Spaghetti Westerns are great, but I don’t for one minute believe that was how the West really was.

The problem I had with it was it was almost scene for scene the same as the original, I know the dialogue was probably changed slightly and it was darker. I would have enjoyed it more if I hadn’t seen the original.

That’s what I like about SWs, they’re balls out and over the top without being ridiculous(some do get a little ridiculous). I don’t care if its realistic as long as it’s entertaining. All westerns should at some point contain a all out free-for-all bar room brawl. :smiley:

Just found a little piece called “The Story of the Kelly gang”

not the future not even a western
but never the less interesting.

and Rango is supernice!

I agree actually. Personally I like SWs for being a mix of realism and ‘‘legend’’. They are more realistic than most Westerns made in the US at the time, before and slightly after. but they have style and fun too, and are not just period pieces. There are some great Westerns that do show how the West may have been such ‘McCabe and Mrs Miller’, but I do think that the Spaghetti Westerns did get the ball rolling by making the heroes not just perfect men in white hats.

Precisely; where Spaghetti Westerns succeeded was there introduction of moral ambivalence that was nowhere at that time in American cinema.

I agree entirely. It might be a little naive to make out as if the West was really like that of the SWs, however, it was certainly not like that of the CWs either (‘Shane’ comes close, as does ‘The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance’).

I love historical accuracy in films, and I am glad that newer Westerns are treading this way rather than going the way of ‘Distant Drums’, which had Colt Peacemakers in the 1840s, but what makes all Westerns really fun for me is the mix of realism and style, which was not usually present in pre-SWs, and sometimes in the more modern ones (which are often only realism). It is why I found that ‘Tombstone’ succeeded as a good Western, it was based on real events but had a certain style about it. I find the remake of ‘3:10 To Yuma’ to be a bit more of a failure as far as my idea of a Western goes, because it tried to be too realistic, despite the plot not calling for it (it was about a quite unrealistic gunfighter, who was crying out to be larger than life). I mean, I always like to see the Chinese workers being represented as in that film, but films like that need stylistic (yet realistic) gunfights and larger than live characters, anti-heroes. Of course ‘3:10 to Yuma’ was not a bad film, and it ultimately comes from the elements of realism that came with the SW boom of the 1960s.

[quote=“Hungry_bear, post:35, topic:2523”]Just found a little piece called “The Story of the Kelly gang”

not the future not even a western
but never the less interesting.[/quote]

I quote myself
but find this one interesting in the matter American western vs SW’s or other westerns
(might be the wrong topic)

[quote=“Spuff vermon”]I pose this question, how can a western say set sometime in mid to late 1800s be modern? The tech isn’t new and the stories are not new. So what does that leave, the style or manner in which the film is made? That comes purely down to opinion and quickly is no longer modern. Tombstone/Unforgiven are not a modern western, they are almost legal to drink.

Or should I say Bush Senoir was in office and Clinton was coming up on the stage.[/quote]

‘‘Modern’’ refers to Westerns made after a certain point and a few years ago. 80s onwards seem to be considered modern, though that will not always be the case.