Long Days of Vengeance / I lunghi giorni della vendetta (Florestano Vancini, 1967)

My version of the X rated DVD definitely has two different length versions (although I’ve only watched the long one).

The long one felt a bit long to me. I suspect it might be better cut down.

How are picture and sound quality of this X rated DVD ?
I have the Italian Shendene DVD, it runs 117 mns (approx), so it’s the longer version, and video quality is atrocious (sound only 1.0 Italian, mediocre quality)

In my view it’s one of Gemma’s better outings. I don’t see any relation to the Ringo films, apart from a literary source serving as an inspiration (for Return of Ringo: Odyssea, for this one: The Count of Monte Christo). It’s also one of Tarantino’s favourite SWs, and it’s not difficult to see why: there’s even one scene in a barber shop - in which a crook is forced to shave Gemma’s beard, - that could’ve been directed by Tarantino himself. Great score too. It has the same problem as Johnny Yuma: a brawl in the saloon that is nearly slapstick and therefore completely out of tone with the rest of the movie.

3,5 out of 5 (I’m making a habit of it)

By the way: the Italian title is ‘I lunghi giorni della VENDETTA’

The sound on the X-rated DVD is largely OK. Music is clear, and dialogue is audiable. I haven’t listened to anything other than the English track. The English track does drop out for certain parts of the film (about 5 mins in total I’d guess), with no subtitles to replace it. I still followed what was going on.

The picture quality is slightly worse than average. The short version of the film is in the correct aspect ratio. The longer version is cropped. It’s definitely watchable though - just a slightly poor print. If you’re interested I could probably post a representative screenshot or two (in a week or so).

Hi folks.

I felt a little disapointed with the english audio drop out on the X-Rated longer version.

The SPO release had the longer version with english audio - think. From memory this had burnt in subtitles but don’t remember any drop outs or italian audio sections.

Has anyone compared the X-Rated version with the SPO release?

The X-rated version is about 5 minutes longer than the English SPO version (which, by the way, was taken directly from the late 80’s or early 90’s Japanese Laserdisc version). That is why there are English audio dropouts on the X-rated version—those small sections had never been dubbed into English.
The English language SPO version has burned-in Japanese subtitles, too.

The image on the X-rated version is better than the SPO English version. This is undoubtedly due to the fact that the SPO version source was the old Laserdisc (some think it might have even been the old Japanese VHS version).
However, and this is just purely personal…I kind of like the way the SPO version looks.

The shorter “Spanish” versions that are available on both discs are pretty much identical.

Great movie, in my opinion, regardless of the version watched!

Thanks Chris, some excellent info.

I agree its a great movie and good to know that the X-Rated version is the most complete available.

Both FILM and X-Rated DVD have been reviewed:

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Long_Days_of_Vengeance_Review

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Der_Lange_Tag_der_Rache_DVD_Review

I’m not completely satisfied with the look of the Film Review, so I might change it a little still

I remember not liking this initially.
Thought it to be far too slow.
But I gave it a second viewing some time ago and now I think it’s tops!
The sheriff star gimick is one of the most memorable quirks of the genre.

Exactly my thoughts about it
I’ve seen it three or four times now, and it’s getting better every time

I have revisited the page :

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Long_Days_of_Vengeance_Review

Received the X Rated release of this a few days ago and watched it tonight. A very solid Gemma vehicle. Not on a par with Return of Ringo for me (What is?) and falls a wee way behind Day of Anger and Arizona Colt but a nice film and always good to see Nieves Navarro anyhow.

The X Rated disc is nice quality too. I watched the Spanish version because the picture is better and I can follow spanish easier than italian when the english audio drops out. Pity there is no subtitle options on it though. That would make it better still.

[quote=“Phil H, post:30, topic:513”]Received the X Rated release of this a few days ago and watched it tonight. A very solid Gemma vehicle. Not on a par with Return of Ringo for me (What is?) and falls a wee way behind Day of Anger and Arizona Colt but a nice film and always good to see Nieves Navarro anyhow.

The X Rated disc is nice quality too. I watched the Spanish version because the picture is better and I can follow spanish easier than italian when the english audio drops out. Pity there is no subtitle options on it though. That would make it better still.[/quote]

Hopefully you noticed that the Italian version is some 20 minutes longer

I did. But I opted for the better picture and a language I could follow better when the english audio dropped out. I’ll give the italian version a go next time around.

But the other version is much longer!

Spanish: 93 min
German: 104 min
Italian: 122 min

And this film has clearly improved with the longer version.

It’s the difference between an ok and a good film.

Running times for My X-rated cult DVD (I suppose yours is the same):
Italian version: 1,57,11
Spanish version: 1,29,57

I guess your running times are without the PAL-speedup

I watched the Italian version , with German audio (to avoid that text ‘only for sale’ etc.) and indeed there seems to be some quarter of an hour of German audio missing (it then turns to italian/German subs)
The Italian version is the longer - and better - one, but the final scene, with the people burning the gallows, is a bit longer in the Spanish version

Don’t worry Stanton, I’ll be watching the italian version this weekend. I’m quite interested to see what was cut out in the Spanish version. There were times when it seemed a bit ‘jumpy’ in the editing.

I removed this from my original by making a copy of the film (i.e without all the menus ) only with DVD Shrink, and now have no message on my copy.

Ha ha, I’ve just realized that the last sentence of your post had somehow slipped my attention, when I was writing my actual unnecessary reply.

IMO one of the best of Giuliano Gemma. If there were a poll to vot I would give it 5 Stars(/5). Not a usual SW and not a typical Western at all. The only black point is the length of the movie. On the other hand the longer version of this movie is better. Some scenes are great the barber scene, the gimmick scene at the sheriff and at least the graphic final shootout. I also liked the climatic beginning at the jail and the shootout from the great distance between Giulinao and the mexican gang. IMO a great mix of lightweighted scenes and violence. The movie was quite interesting with some good ideas. That’s why I like SW so much they always surprise me! :slight_smile:

I love the film, seen it 3 times now, I found it boring on the first view as well, but its grown on me.
Watched it on the x-rated dvd, the english audio was out of sync at one point and the music suddenly starts and stops at times. Does the SPO release or Italian version have better audio?

[quote=“chuck connors brother, post:39, topic:513”]I love the film, seen it 3 times now, I found it boring on the first view as well, but its grown on me.
Watched it on the x-rated dvd, the english audio was out of sync at one point and the music suddenly starts and stops at times. Does the SPO release or Italian version have better audio?[/quote]

The Italian DVD has rotten sound (and only Italian); video quality is like on the German disc (they used the same source, I’d say)