Locations around Rome

Here are a few pics from a recent trip to Rome:
Monte Gelato waterfalls

Via Di Salone (unable to access the site)

Checcho Er Carettiere restaurant photos

You may recognise a few of these people…

8 Likes

Wow! Sergio Leone and Muhammad Ali met each other?! Neat!!!

A place I’ve often wanted to visit but haven’t got there yet. Next time I’m in the Rome area for sure.
Thanks for posting these pics. Very cool.

1 Like

In case you missed it - The school photo has Morricone, Leone and the boy who later owned the restaurant - where Leones 50th party was also held.

The Ali photo has a young De Niro.

1 Like

Hi all,

I am new here and I would really like to revive this topic.

I am currently living in Rome, more precisely in Settecamini, where Elios village was, near “Villa Mussolini” the most abused villa in sw shot in Italy, and Salone’s caves, tuff quarries, also used by the Romans to build the Colosseum.

In less than an our from Rome I can reach Camposecco (Camerata Nuova) where more than 50 sw where shot, Tor Caldara natural reserve where Django and many other where shot, Monte Gelato waterfalls, The gost town of Monterano, Manziana or Carpineto Romano where a lot of movies took place.

With about 2,5 hours Campo Imperatore can be reached.

Salone’s caves

Camposecco

Monterano vecchia

Let me know if you want information about the places I mentioned.
I am also starting a project to create a diorama of “Villa Mussolini” as it was in 1960s because today it is quite different. The bright side is that it has been preserved.
It is the center of Tecnopolo Tiburtino a big area for IT companies.

7 Likes

Very interesting! … thank you for sharing your photos and info.

2 Likes

Awesome photos. Thanks for sharing and welcome to the site.

1 Like

And Garcia Marquez… Wow what a group picture…

1 Like

Great photos, thanks!

If I ever make it to Rome, I think Villa Mussolini is my top location to visit. I always find it hard to believe just how much city there is right around it.

1 Like

Also visit the Profondo Rosso store and museum, and Cinecitta of course

1 Like

Great photos - thanks for sharing.
I would like to do a tour around Rome some time and visit these locations.
I am curious - how did you access the Salone caves? I visited in 2019 but the caves seemed to have no access and the area was very quiet so I did not hang around.

1 Like

Sadly the cave is a private area you cannot access. As I live nearby I had the time and opportunity to find a passage to get some photos. The opposite side of the cave can be accessed via a narrow path from inside a sport center, when it is open.

Here some photos of the accessible side of the quarry

5 Likes

Thanks Alessandro - local knowledge is great!

1 Like

Welcome to the ‘SWDB’, amigo. :cowboy_hat_face:
Sure you will have a grand time on here.
Great photos, and a wonderful way to introduce yourself - thanks for sharing with us… :+1:

1 Like

Great photos @ItalianStranger
I was watching Find a Place to Die just the other day and Monterano Vecchio looks just the same now as then it seems

3 Likes

Very few places still exists and are the same as they were back in the 60s.
They are mostly protected areas, such as Monterano Vecchia, Tor Caldara and Camposecco.
Casale delle Pietrische (Manziana) is still used for western LARP (live action role-playing) events.

2 Likes