Lawman (Michael Winner, 1971)

Anyone could have made LAWMAN but eventually nobody except Winner did. Law enforcement taken to the extreme, and a touch of meaness as well. How many westerns have that concept really? I’d like to see some more of that since this is one my favorite westerns ever, italian or not. Hell, even the poster of the movie kicks ass

He gave the West justice right up to its neck…then rammed more down its throat.

Immortal stuff in my book 8)

You mean this one:

I’ve never seen a European poster but I’m sure there are some around.
All westerns should have a poster this good; it’s one of my favorite western posters and one of my favorite westerns of the 1970s.

LAWMAN (released in August 1971) was British-made by Michael Winner’s crew company in Durango, Mexico. It is informed by the spaghetti western. Without the spaghetti western there would be no LAWMAN. It is so literate, intelligent, cynical, pessimistic, fatalistic and depressing I thought it was written by Alan Sharp, but no, it was written by Gerald Wilson who never gets the vernacular quite right.

Richard

[/URL]

Uploaded with [URL=http://imageshack.us]ImageShack.us[url]http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/52/lawmani.jpg/[/url]

I prefer the US one.

Well it is possible, but I don’t think that there was necessarily an inspiration by the SW on Lawman.

If I see how the US western has developed since the early 60s, then Lawman is only a typical US western of the early 70s, filled with the then fashionable doses of violence, cynisim and negativism. And there were imo much better examples of these type of westerns.
It is only a small step from Man with the Gun (1955) over Rio Conchos (1964) or Hour of the Gun (1967) to Lawman. And to other US westerns of these days like Doc or Macho Callahan.
Same for the other British produced westerns like Chato’s Land or The Hunting Party.

Stanton, your opinion means nothing to me. You are entitled to it.

I don’t know the background of Lawman, whether Winner was part of the development of the film, or if he was hired on, or if he read a script and decided he wanted to direct it. But he is credited with producing, which indicates involvement early on. I like Winner’s films from the early 1970s despite his sloppy, zoom-happy direction. For me, the success of the film is in the writing. The script is exceptional. And in the casting. Thematically it is very much a product of the 1970s, but its underlying themes are relevant today.

Not many, but you should try living in my neighborhood in Arizona where extreme law enforcement with a touch of meanness, if not sadism, is the order of the day. Even the traffic court is “in” on it. Even my uncle, a lawman in the state for forty years who retired 17 years ago, has been victimized by the newer cops who don’t know who he is. The fact that he started the Policeman’s Association (which helps officers injured on duty, and with other troubles) means nothing. A private citizen is nothing more than a source of revenue to the police dept. You’ll find this attitude has spread all over the U.S.

Richard

Interesting[quote=“Richard–W, post:26, topic:484”]Not many, but you should try living in my neighborhood in Arizona where extreme law enforcement with a touch of meanness, if not sadism, is the order of the day. Even the traffic court is “in” on it. Even my uncle, a lawman in the state for forty years who retired 17 years ago, has been victimized by the newer cops who don’t know who he is. The fact that he started the Policeman’s Association (which helps officers injured on duty, and with other troubles) means nothing. A private citizen is nothing more than a source of revenue to the police dept. You’ll find this attitude has spread all over the U.S.[/quote]

I’m not from the US and had no idea about that, seems like art imitated virtual life this time around.

I’m entitled to my opinion (otherwise I wouldn’t have posted it).
And I don’t expect that my opinion necessarily means something to anyone.

A few words on Lawman; the TV-series, starring John Russell and Pete Brown… underdeveloped, shallow, predictably plotted, and talky. But a fantastic showcase for Russell, who’s easily among the top ‘western’ faces lists. High cheekbones, steely glare, SW ruggedness… I’m not sure why he didn’t do a whole lot of movies, because he was more visually charismatic than alotta guys who did.

The series was a spinoff from one the Warner Brothers TV-westerns, where his Marshall Dan Troop-character was a recurring one. Russell, as a stand-alone, just couldn’t do anything with the character. He needed a dramatically-alluring gimmick or something.

With the death of Winner, was thinking about Lawman again. Still hope to see the alternative ending one day again, but looking a slim chance at this point.

A really good western.Very solid and I like the idea Jered Maddox some minutes before the end tries to change his mind but the facts and the people avoid this.Well made dialogues especially from Lancaster helps to flow well the time.I love the character of Laura Shelby a broken and confused woman split between two men.She is very attractive.Robert Ryan is excellent as usual.The violent scenes are sort but effective.I don’t like the idea of alternate end.I think nobody has the guts to do this just remember the guys in the saloon how scared talk to him.As armed they do the same.Also from the time Vincent Bronson shoots himself we have a symbolism:Even the boss who control everything in the town quit when a man stands incorruptible with his beliefs.

[quote=“ENNIOO, post:5, topic:484”]He gets shot in the back by his former lover (with a shotgun) after he has gunned down Lee J Cobb, and is quite graphic, and that’s why I always remember it.

Here in the U.K MICHAEL WINNER films are always messed around with by the BBFC, and of course CHATO’S LAND is no exception.[/quote]

Here in the U.K MICHAEL WINNER films are always messed around with by the BBFC, and of course CHATO'S LAND is no exception.

Agreed.

I hate the BBFC and all other censorship groups. Many a good movie has been marred by the censors.

It’s possible that some of these BBFC employees got jobs with Channel 5 , they are masters at editing good films for TV. :wink:

Just viewed this one again. Still fresh to me after all these years and viewings. The zooms in the camerawork and the super coldness of Lancaster…had Mr. Winner been viewing a few Spaghetti westerns… I like to think so as I can see the influences amongst the the tradional American elements. Lancaster the “Lawman” is hated in this though. Its a strong word but I think its the right one, and its took me all these years to realise how hated the character is. Even so its the coldness of the Lancaster character that has always appealed to me. This coldness does run through Winners early 70’s work. Its funny when Lancaster is thinking of giving his quest up, the coldness returns. My only grumble is I wish I could get to see the version I mentioned in the start of this thread.

Is the German Blu-ray the uncut international version?

I watched this German BD, a few weeks ago, and it certainly looked uncut, to me. However, don’t hold me to that. Other people may know different.
It looks like the version I’ve always known. A cracking film, and one of my favourites.

But it’s the version in which one nude scene is replaced by a alternative shots.

Thanks. I’ll probably pick that up soon. I just wanted to make sure it was the international version and not the US cut.

Oh dear! So it’s the US cut then?

Interesting. I never knew that.

I guess that means there’s no uncut releases of the international version on Blu-ray or DVD.