Lawman (Michael Winner, 1971)

I know Lawman is not a spaghetti , but I still like the film.

Has anyone seen the version where Burt Lancaster gets shot (with a shotgun I think), at the end of the film?

No. Is this a rumored “alternate ending” or something?

Flynn

Shot to death or only wounded?

Yeah. Is he killed? I haven’t heard of an alternate ending but I admit that I don’t know a whole lot about this film (and it’s been many years since I last saw it…)

Flynn

[quote=“flynnparadox, post:4, topic:484”]Yeah. Is he killed? I haven’t heard of an alternate ending but I admit that I don’t know a whole lot about this film (and it’s been many years since I last saw it…)

Flynn[/quote]

He gets shot in the back by his former lover (with a shotgun) after he has gunned down Lee J Cobb, and is quite graphic, and that’s why I always remember it.

Here in the U.K MICHAEL WINNER films are always messed around with by the BBFC, and of course CHATO’S LAND is no exception.

Ah. Interesting. I don’t remember quite how this one ended originally. I’ll have to look it up (or check it out again…)

Flynn

Wow! If this version truly exists, I’d love to see it! I saw this movie with my dad when I was a kid at the cinema and thought it was one of the most bloody and violent things I’d ever seen up to that point. Caught it recently on either Fox Movie Channel or Turner Classic Movies and was surprised that it still carried quite a visceral punch. However, that version’s last death is Lee J. Cobb’s suicide.

Lancaster made a few really good westerns there in the 70s, all of them revisionist anti-Hollywood; ‘Lawman,’ ‘Valdez is Coming,’ ‘Ulzana’s Raid’…

I just watched this movie on German tellie (ARD). It’s a really good movie. In any case recommended ! But there was no Lancaster (shot)gundown at the end…

Does this “alternate” ending really excist !?

[quote=“Bluntwolf, post:8, topic:484”]I just watched this movie on German tellie (ARD). It’s a really good movie. In any case recommended ! But there was no Lancaster (shot)gundown at the end…

Does this “alternate” ending really excist !?[/quote]

I viewed the version where Lancaster gets shots on U.K T.V in the late 80’s and have tried to get hold of this version but no look so far…maybe someday.

Rewatched Lawman too

Interesting story

Pretensious dialogues

Great cast with lots of familiar faces

Robert Ryan is outstanding

A tired Burt Lancaster with an astonishingly weak performance, his only weak one in a western

Not sure about Winner’s directing

The bad end (if it really exists) would be a great mistake

Ambitious but only partially succeeding

6/10

The negative ending is much better in my view.

Lancaster is a hated man by most in the film , and for someone this despised to just ride away at the end of the film does not make any sense to me. He gets shot in the back by a shotgun , by his former lover. Moments before Lancaster of course has just shot his former lovers husband.

Recorded the film last night, just watched it (not for the first time)

My ideas about it haven’t changed much: I don’t hate it, but don’t really like it either

It has that typical cheap look most Michael Winner movies have
He has a great cast and a good story, but still he manages to make his film look like a quick cheapy, some sort of grade C Peckinpah/Aldrich/Penn

There are of course worse directors than Mr. Winner, but with this cast and this story, this film should’ve been a lot better

I think it doesn’t look that cheap. Compared to most Spags Lawman looks rather expensive. But if you compare it to The Scalphunters (with a fantastic Lncaster), which was also aired last night, well then …

But yes, could have been better.

The different ending is not good for Lawman because he has forced all this senseless violence due to his rigid behaviour. Lancaster’s death would only be a conventional way to end the film as sentence for his failings. Let him ride away after he had killed in cold blood the husband of the woman, with whom he wanted to start a new life a few minutes earlier, is the more subversive end.

When Lancaster gets shot it is not conventially executed. Lancaster is not beaten in a gunfight by a faster gun but shot in the back like a coward by a woman. It is a mixture of conventional and subversive.

None the less, that’s excactly the way I would expect it from all what happened before. And that’s exactly the sort of solution I don’t like. If he had to die, than any death would be better for me than this melodramatic “shot by the woman who loved” him thing. Sorry but that’s a terrible alternative.

Let him ride away with all his guilt is the more satisfying ending for me.

The way he is shot is not predicatable and this is why it is the best end for me.

I have a question for the alternative ending: Does Lancaster kill Lee J Cobb or does Cobb commit suicide just like in the original version? 'Cos that would be another difference apart from Lancaster’s death. It’s the 3rd time I’m searching for a short clip of that alternative ending on the www over the years, but with no luck. I read that most people say that they’ve only heard of that ending. I’m also wondering why didn’t they put in on the DVD as an extra feature, is it becasue it is probably lost forever? I do not know if it would be better with that ending if I don’t see the way it’s shot myself, the original ending already works well enough for me.

[quote=“Stanton, post:10, topic:484”]Rewatched Lawman too

Interesting story

Pretensious dialogues

Great cast with lots of familiar faces

Robert Ryan is outstanding

A tired Burt Lancaster with an astonishingly weak performance, his only weak one in a western

Not sure about Winner’s directing

The bad end (if it really exists) would be a great mistake

Ambitious but only partially succeeding

6/10[/quote]

Say, did you copy my notes ??

(I like some of Winners films, but I always thought
almost anybody could have made them.)

[quote=“mike siegel, post:18, topic:484”](I like some of Winners films, but I always thought
almost anybody could have made them.)[/quote]

I agree, Mike!

The alternate ending with Lancaster being blasted by Sheree North may very well exist, as that is the way I recall the film ending when I first saw it on Channel 34, Oklahoma City, on the late night movie back in the '80’s.
Now, I could very well be misremembering.
But, I do know that I was a tad disappointed when I bought the film on DVD and the ending was different to what I remembered.
After I purchased the DVD, I began searching for information about this alternate ending—and to this date have never found any concrete information regarding its existence.
I am glad Ennioo recalls it, too! That lends a bit more credence to my memory.

Either ending does little to alter the way I feel about the film, though.
I like the movie, but it isn’t anything spectacular.

Glad you have seen this version aswell Chris !
It is the version that really sticks in my head of this film. Just wish I could get to see this version again though. My brother has also seen this version aswell.