Kill or Die / Uccidi o muori (Tanio Boccia, 1966)

Just wrote a review of this one and realised there was no discussion thread so thought Iā€™d start one.

Good quality DVD from X Rated unfortunately not matched by the quality of the film itself in my opinion. Itā€™s Ok, but only that. Just a bit second rate in all departments without reaching any real depths of true crapness (Is that an actual word?) which might lift it into the ā€˜so bad itā€™s goodā€™ category.

Sits nicely in the collection (despite the horrible oversized case) but I wouldnā€™t really recommend it to anyone but a die hard fan. And probably not then either if Iā€™m honest.

Anyhow, what do the rest of you think.

https://www.spaghetti-western.net/index.php/Kill_or_Die_Review

Database page: Uccidi o muori - The Spaghetti Western Database

Havenā€™t seen the movie, but sounds like one of those early would be Ringos indeed

Funny thing: according to Marco Giusti Gordon Mitchellā€™s character is called Ringo (or better: was renamed Ringo, originally he was apparently called Baltimore Joe), while Rod Danaā€™s character is called Jerry Colt (it takes to Italian to invent such a name!)

The film was launched with the slogan (the last one of the article): La leggendaria storia di Jerry Colt, lā€™uomo che uccise Ringo" (The legendary story of Jerry Colt, the man who killed Ringo)

Is Dana in the English version really called Ringo?
Wouldnā€™t surprise me, by the way

Yes, Ive seen the Giusti entry too. Not the first time that names are mixed up between the english and italian dubs I suspect. But in the english one Dana arrives in town calling himself Jerry Colt and is then exposed as Johnny Ringo. On the run, trying to escape his reputation and live in peace. He even goes as far as saying to the Elina De Witt character when she calls him Jerry, ā€œBut Iā€™m not Jerry. Iā€™m Johnny Ringo!ā€ So no room for confusion there.

What the dialogue says in the italian version is another matter. Maybe Iā€™ll check it out tonight and see if what I can make of it.

Iā€™m a completist, so Iā€™ll probably own this one some day :wink:

I found this SW a solid mid entry film.I like Rod Dana as an actor since he has appeared in a number of enjoyable films:Kill The Wicked,Handle With Care,Operation White Shark,Agente End.As for the violin playing gunslinger this is a unique touch to decent written storyline.I applaud X-Rated for this release as all of their SW releases.

I liked this one. The violin adds a nice touch. The Ringo escaping his past part is very reminiscent of 1950ā€™s The Gunfighter, with Gregory Peck.

Also, Gordon Mitchell plays a notorious gunslinger called ā€œBaltimore Joeā€. Obviously these Italians donā€™t know their geography. Its even worse than ā€œMinnesota Clayā€ haha.

Btw, Rod Dana was recently interviewed in issue of Video watchdog. Does anybody have that issue and can fill us in as to what heā€™s up to these days?

I rewatched this recently and it was better than I remembered it, although I get the impression that the violin was thrown in as a desperate measure, as if they felt the need to differentiate their gunslinger from his many contemporaries. (Had Parolini made this, the violin would no doubt have concealed a pistol.)

Dana/Mark is decent and the action plentiful (although, as so often happens, his fight scene with the much beefier Gordon Mitchell is difficult to take seriously), but itā€™s fairly run-of-the-mill on the whole. Iā€™ll still pick this up on DVD though; Iā€™ll wait till the Wild East disc is released for a comparison.

Dana these days is a new age enthusiast who writes books under the name Jon Christian Eagle.

Interesting, thanks for the info.

Something else i noticed about this movie. Along with Great silence, its one of the few SWs that donā€™t feature any Mexicans!

I somewhat like this film, but to be honest it is very standard and uninvolving. Robert Marks other western KILL THE WICKEDS is in a different league all together! ThereĀ“s a really interesting interview with him in issue two of the brilliant Danish fanzine eXtase, but as much of the zine is in Danish i suggest searching out that Video Watchdog instead, havenĀ“t read it myself, but iĀ“m sure itĀ“s a good read as he had a quite interesting little career.

Hope the poster is still looking good Magnus :wink: .

Ha! Yes it is, thanks! Unfortunally being completly lost with calculations i messed up the conversion of inches to cm and it is muuuch bigger than i thought, and as my flat is so small i still havenĀ“t found a place to put it up. It will come in handy the day i move to a manison though!
Incidently just snapped a photo of it the other day for a guy looking for artwork for these two films, not taking this as fact but my theory/hope is that it means a nice double-dvd is in some stage of planningā€¦

I know what you mean about the space thing !. But like you say once you are in your mansion :slight_smile: . Wild East have it planned for release in June:

[url]http://www.wildeast.net/catalog1.html[/url]

Haha! so i was right on that one! I hope thereĀ“s an interview with Robert Mark/John Christian Eagle as an extra. DonĀ“t know if they had that poster allready or if it will appear in the gallery (too bad iĀ“m not a very good photographerā€¦)

Will be nice if includedā€¦as we have a bit of a story here :slight_smile: .

[quote=ā€œscherpschutter, post:2, topic:1121ā€]Havenā€™t seen the movie, but sounds like one of those early would be Ringos indeed

Funny thing: according to Marco Giusti Gordon Mitchellā€™s character is called Ringo (or better: was renamed Ringo, originally he was apparently called Baltimore Joe), while Rod Danaā€™s character is called Jerry Colt (it takes to Italian to invent such a name!)

The film was launched with the slogan (the last one of the article): La leggendaria storia di Jerry Colt, lā€™uomo che uccise Ringo" (The legendary story of Jerry Colt, the man who killed Ringo)

Is Dana in the English version really called Ringo?
Wouldnā€™t surprise me, by the way[/quote]

[quote=ā€œPhil H, post:3, topic:1121ā€]Yes, Ive seen the Giusti entry too. Not the first time that names are mixed up between the english and italian dubs I suspect. But in the english one Dana arrives in town calling himself Jerry Colt and is then exposed as Johnny Ringo. On the run, trying to escape his reputation and live in peace. He even goes as far as saying to the Elina De Witt character when she calls him Jerry, ā€œBut Iā€™m not Jerry. Iā€™m Johnny Ringo!ā€ So no room for confusion there.

What the dialogue says in the italian version is another matter. Maybe Iā€™ll check it out tonight and see if what I can make of it.[/quote]

In the German version he is simply called Ringo, and there is also a Wanted poster of him in which his name is given only as Ringo. So Johnny Ringo is most probably only an addition for the American market while the Italian version tries to cash up on Gemmaā€™s Ringo.
But in fact this Ringo resembles more Clint Eastwood with his unshaved face and his poncho.

Yep,thought the same.

ā€˜The stranger with the fiddleā€™ :smiley:

There are a couple of lively moments, but I agree with another person who said this very very standard and uninvolving. Iā€™m glad I didnā€™t buy the german disc of this, probably the most expensive xrated disc.

I have seen the film yesterday the first time.
Nothing special. Very routine.
The score is cruel. Fits not in a SW.
And I agree, it is a bit like an American Western.
But there is a very good duel. After 15 or 20 minutes in the western city.
Ringo (Jerry / Johnny Colt) shoots four people. Excellent imple.
Too bad that it then not continue.

The X-Rated version is very good. Good picture quality, good sound.

[quote=ā€œThe Stranger, post:18, topic:1121ā€]I have seen the film yesterday the first time.
Nothing special. Very routine.
The score is cruel. Fits not in a SW.
And I agree, it is a bit like an American Western.[/quote]
Haha, I first read ā€œBut good for an Armenian Westernā€!

Armenian Western :smiley:
Hm, what is the name of such a Western ?
The Italian Western is a Spaghetti Western ā€¦ and the Armenian Western is a "Harissa Western " or a "Lavash Western ". :wink: