John the Bastard / John il bastardo (Armando Crispino, 1967)

Great to see you back in the saddle

This film seems to divide the community, I havenā€™t seen it yet, but I know that just like Stanton, Kevin Grant (whoā€™s book on SWs will be published in 2009) thinks highly of the film too

Very fine review indeed, Iā€™ll return to it after watching the movie

Great review Brother Phil! Interestinā€™ contextual stuff nā€™all - thanks. I pretty much agree with your conclusions.
I did enjoy it, but there is little sympathy or empathy with ā€˜the Bastardā€™. I was left feeling a bit couldnā€™t care less about his outcome, but enjoyed the journey anyway. I particularly enjoyed the ending and thought it well done - forced or not - and obviously I got a kick out of the Gordon Mitchell character. :wink:

Hey Reverend, when are you gonna give me a review to publish? :slight_smile: We need more reviewers.

The original ending in Tirsoā€™s play has Don Juan being visited by the stone statue who asks our man to repent and when he doesnā€™t he drags him down into the bowels of hell. Now that would have been a real climactic ending for me rather than just having him fall foul of a bit of toppling sculpture. But I guess they felt they needed to make it more believable somehow. Mitchell was good value though and I would have liked to see more of him. I actually enjoyed the film on the whole. I just thought it was flawed in some key areas.

[quote=ā€œENNIOO, post:2, topic:769ā€]I did not like the main character one bit in this film, but like everything else in life I know some that do.

A film for me that does not live up to its title or reputation.[/quote]

[quote=ā€œdaryyā€]I did not like the main character one bit in this film, but like everything else in life I know some that do.

A film for me that does not live up to its title or reputation.[/quote]

I thought your comments reminded me of something.

Your words were prophetic, Ennioo

Okay, just watched this one and it was certainly interesting. The lead is, as the title implies, a true bastard and totally unlikeable but, surely, thatā€™s the point. Weā€™re not supposed to like him. I have to say I didnā€™t like the suicide near the end. To me, it was the most cliched moment in the movie; the whole ā€œweak womanā€ thing. But, all in all, a pretty decent and true original of a movie that should be available in a better print.

I where going to watch it but I felt fo a ā€˜normalā€™ western that time so I stopped watching it. Guess Iā€™ll give it another try sometime.

This one is pretty enjoyable. Well paced with interesting characters and a great score.

Catching up in THE SPAGHETTI WESTERNS, ey Korano ;)? Anyway I must try this one again, maybe this Friday.

Very episodic and for that, it is uneven but itā€™s still a well above average movie.
I wish more couldā€™ve been done with Gordon Mitchell.

Listening to the score. Lovely music.

I like the score too.

One score I do not like.

I like the score a lot, but the dvd I have is so bad I just canā€™t enjoy the movie. I have a feeling iā€™ll probably love it if it ever see it in widescreen.

Now this is one of my favorite SWs, itā€™s even in my top 5!

Damn, thereā€™s an old VHS copy in a video store near my place, but the motherfucker refuses to sell it to me no matter how many Iā€™ve asked him. Too bad coz the picture quality of my dvdr is terrible (havenā€™t seen the whole movie yet)

Couldnā€™t you ask him to make a copy on DVD-R? Or give it to you for a few hours to make a copy by yourself?

Question is of course, if it ainā€™t the same bad copy we already have. But if itā€™s widescreen, and with colors that deserve the word colors, and maybe even a longer version, then ā€¦

Unfortunately I donā€™t have the equipment to make dvdr tranfers (yet). Heā€™s charging 20 euros for a VHS copy, so he can kiss my ass goodbye
I might just rent it to check the condition of the tape, but Iā€™m pretty sure it will be much much better than the horrible copy thatā€™s circulating, itā€™s been a veeery long time since someone rented a spaghetti from him, very unlikely to have deteriorated from repeated playsā€¦
BTW, Iā€™m talking about a greek vhs. The dvdr copy I have has greek subs and as far as I know only one label put out JtB back then (key video)
Anyway, Iā€™ll try once more and if nothing happens I might just rent it and send it to a friend whoā€™s able to make that goddamn transferā€¦Iā€™ll let you know if/when that happensā€¦

You will become our new hero :wink: