John the Bastard / John il bastardo (Armando Crispino, 1967)

After avoiding a shotgun wedding John sets out for mexico to find his father,along the way he spurns some mormon women who hire a hitman to kill him.Boring and pointless,10 minutes in and i was hoping someone would put a bullet in the bastards head.The only redeeming thing in this movie is Gordon Mitchell as the mormon hitman and heā€™s in it for five minutes tops.If your looking for a spag with a totally unlikeable lead character this is it.

[attachment older than 600 days, deleted by admin]

Database Page: John il bastardo - The Spaghetti Western Database

I did not like the main character one bit in this film, but like everything else in life I know some that do.

A film for me that does not live up to its title or reputation.

Top hitman indeed! The character ā€¦ Danny, Danni,Dani ā€¦ somebody or other?

I thought it was a great little gem with interesting story.

Top hitman indeed! The character ā€¦ Danny, Danni,Dani ā€¦ somebody or other?
[/quote]Danite which means God will judge.the mormons had a secret sect of ā€œavenging angelsā€ who took care of dissenters.this is fact.of course you knew that rev. :wink:

There is a movie called The Avenging Angel starring Tom Berenger, which is about such a hitman.

Cheers for reminding me of this. Iā€™ve got a feeling that it aint out on dvd (yet)? - if it is Iā€™ll try and find a copy.
Thereā€™s another ā€˜westernā€™ about the mormons that came out recently - about their murdering of unarmed men, women and children at what is known as the Mountain Meadows Massacre - another 9/11 (this time in 1857). Itā€™s called SEPTEMBER DAWN.
Despite having John Voight and Terence Stamp in it - it gets a bit of across the board slagginā€™ on imdb. I would certainly expect that from Mormons but even the ā€˜gentilesā€™ think itā€™s less than truthful as well.
I think this is the youtube link www.youtube.com/watch?v=sGQD7saoJe0

[quote=ā€œReverend Danite, post:7, topic:769ā€]Cheers for reminding me of this. Iā€™ve got a feeling that it aint out on dvd (yet)? - if it is Iā€™ll try and find a copy.
Thereā€™s another ā€˜westernā€™ about the mormons that came out recently - about their murdering of unarmed men, women and children at what is known as the Mountain Meadows Massacre - another 9/11 (this time in 1857). Itā€™s called SEPTEMBER DAWN.
Despite having John Voight and Terence Stamp in it - it gets a bit of across the board slagginā€™ on imdb. I would certainly expect that from Mormons but even the ā€˜gentilesā€™ think itā€™s less than truthful as well.
I think this is the youtube link - YouTube

Well, three films to watch (but probably not all easy to find).
Didnā€™t know anything about Mormon hitmen or the Mountain Meadows Massacre, but it seems worth sorting out.
It doesnā€™t necessarily mean much that even the ā€˜gentilesā€™ critisize it; Iā€™m not on expert on Mormons or their beliefs (Iā€™ve spoken to one some thirty years ago, I think), but I do know a little about islam, and Iā€™m pretty sure the same arguments are used here to obscure the discussion (Donā€™t critize Mormons all the time, they were extremists, not all Mormons are like that, let the lord judge, the facts must be contemplated within their specific historical context, what is shown is not real mormonism etc.)

Thanks to ENNIOO I had a chance to catch this one, and I like it. NWA has a song called ā€˜Findum, fuckum and fleeā€™ which could have been based on the main character, because thatā€™s exactly what he does. Of all the ā€˜bastardā€™ films this one probably hast he most apt title. John is a real bastard, yet he is more layered than the average spaghetti character. I like watching such characters. Plus there is a revenge theme that plays out nicely. The humour is pretty subtle in this one, but itā€™s there. Just dig a little into Johnā€™s character and youā€™re bound to be entertained. Like said before, the reverend shoud have gotten more screen time. Heā€™s pretty cool, to put it i juvenile fashion. I even like the (somewhat weird) ending. Great catchy theme song by the way.

JOHN THE BASTARD 1967 John Richardson, Martine Beswick , Claudio Camaso

Armando Crispino is both writer and director in this atmospheric, fascinating, original
western that has elements of parody, religion, supernatural and benefits from a strong
leading stand out performance from JOHN ā€œOne Million Years BCā€ RICHARDSON a very
handsome UK Leading man of numerous classic westerns/giallos/adventures/Hammer.

The film can be seen as a Don Juan western setting with strong character focused direction from Crispino and good supporting parts for MARTINE BESWICK, Claudio Camaso and the ever reliable Gordon Mitchell.

Another outstanding JOHN RICHARDSON SW was made in 1968ā€¦ ā€œEXECUTIONā€.

A very high quality SW with top acting, direction, music, a real winner.

My vote is 15.5 out of 20. :smiley:

I have seen this one now, and yes, itā€™s an interesting and often unusual SW with a nice looking but uncomfortably behaving anti-hero. Maybe thatā€™s the reason why this above-average film wasnā€™t released in Germany.

But Iā€™m curious what version do you have seen?
Mine was a bad looking full frame one with faded colors (and greek subtitles by the way) and only 105 min.
So with probably over 10 min missing John the Bastard got nevertheless 7/10 from me.

Not bad considering that only 20 SWs maximal would earn a 8 or more by me.

I will tell you my version Stanton but only when my friend returns the dvd/tape of
John The Bastard 1967, she borrowed it and I am struggling to get it back nowā€¦ :frowning:

What I can say is that it had no subtitles in Greek and was in colour and a good picture.

Usually in Germany most great films are released and I know Germans like very much
things Italian and European. I have bought many SW from Amazon.De.

Anyway Stanton I tell you something you will like : My FAVOURITE European countries are

GERMANY and HOLLAND I love the countries, the people, the films, the music etc :slight_smile:

Hello, this film call me attetion because Gordon Mitchell and Martine Beswick are inā€¦ Do they play a big roles, or just scenes ? John Richardson is another one I would like to see, he seens to be enigmatic !?!

regards

JOHN RICHARDSON an actor who enjoys cult status and huge popularity after
making numerous excellent/memorable SWs/Giallos/Horror/Sci Fi classic films has
the starring role and dominates this unusual, richly plotted Sw.
A good supporting role for the former Miss Jamaica, Martine Beswick, another leading
Euro Films actress with many interesting roles.

Enjoyed this movie very much !!! Recommended !!! :slight_smile:

Anyone interested of trading a copy for me?

Iā€™ll happily send you a copy Bill. Itā€™ll be video quality and its got greek subs, but then again it does have Gordon Mitchell as a Danite!! Iā€™m not sure if there are better copies about. Iā€™ve tried and havnā€™t found one yet. Pm me if you donā€™t get a better offer - quality or closer to home. :wink:

A shame really, this one definitely needs a proper release.

1 Like

Finally got around to putting my reviewing head back on and it was the turn of John il Bastardo.

There were elements in the film I liked but on the whole I felt it was let down in some key areas. Anyhow, hereā€™s the link.

This is a very interesting review, Phil. Maybe your best so far.
I have to say this, even if I like the film much more than you, and also think it works well enough. I think I also liked John despite him being such an asshole at times, maybe because he was an interesting asshole.

Still hoping for an uncut widescreen release some day.