Italian war movies aka Macaroni Combat

According to OFDB Probability Zero is uncut. And there are Italian and English Audio Option for Probability Zero on the DVD. Sorry I oversaw that. All the other Movies have only German and the others are cut. Desert Battle has the german Cinema Version (about 81 minutes). Partizani must be heavily cut.

I have recently gotten into this sub-genre and I love it. I love that a lot of movies borrow from such great movies as Where Eagles Dare and Dirty Dozen. I love Five For Hell a lot and I cannot wait to check out others. I plan on getting the two Castellari movies (Eagles over London and Inglorious Bastards) soon. And thanks for posting on the St. Clair release of Commandos as I plan on getting that one as well.

It looks like a very difficult genre to acquire dvds in for the most part and without Tarantino’s movie there probably would not be the two I just mentioned out as well.

my favourite was:
five for hell

Commandos - Armando Crispino, 1968

Quite good war actioner. One of only 8 films directed by the John the Bastard director, and made immediately after that one. 6/10

But the German version is heavily cut with about 26 min missing.

[quote=“Stanton, post:65, topic:622”]Commandos - Armando Crispino, 1968

Quite good war actioner. One of only 8 films directed by the John the Bastard director, and made immediately after that one. 6/10

But the German version is heavily cut with about 26 min missing.[/quote]

I don’t know what they cut exactly, I have a version that’s supposed to be uncut

Quite a good Italian war movie yes, good cast too.

Probably mostly talk as there were tons of battle scenes.

Shame the additional scenes do not have english subtitles.

I watched it some time ago, but I think the action is concentrated in the last quarter.
It’s quite talky, yes, but it doesn’t hurt the film.

The German version wasn’t talky.

I have these in my collection.

Five For Hell [Kinski]
The Battle Giants [L’Urlo Dei Giganti] [Jack Palance]
Legion Of The Damned [Jack Palance]
The Dirty Two [Kinski]
Churchill’s Leopards [Kinski]
Heroes In Hell [Kinski]
Battle Of El Alamein
Battle Of Neretva
Dirty Heroes
The War Devils
Desert Commandos
Eagles Over London
Hell In Normandy
The Battle Of The Last Panzer
The Legion Of No Return
Warriors Five [Jack Palance]
Uccidete Rommel
Battle Force [Il Grande Attaco]
Inglorious Bastards
Lo sbarco di Anzio [The Battle for Anzio (1968) ]
Commando Attack [Michael Rennie]

only ‘five for hell’

From Code Red:

Is Sullivan’s Marauders Commandos or is it another movie?

Same. But it’s the US theatrical cut.

I have The Wings Of War aka Hour X: Suicide Patrol with Gordon Mitchell, and Heroes without Glory with Jeff Cameron

Great to see more MC out on DVD! Ah, but can anybody tell me what’s the best version of Attentato ai Tre Grandi aka Desert Commandos?

[quote=“Wild The Hunchback, post:71, topic:622”]I have these in my collection.

Five For Hell [Kinski]
The Battle Giants [L’Urlo Dei Giganti] [Jack Palance]
Legion Of The Damned [Jack Palance]
The Dirty Two [Kinski]
Churchill’s Leopards [Kinski]
Heroes In Hell [Kinski]
Battle Of El Alamein
Battle Of Neretva
Dirty Heroes
The War Devils
Desert Commandos
Eagles Over London
Hell In Normandy
The Battle Of The Last Panzer
The Legion Of No Return
Warriors Five [Jack Palance]
Uccidete Rommel
Battle Force [Il Grande Attaco]
Inglorious Bastards
Lo sbarco di Anzio [The Battle for Anzio (1968) ]
Commando Attack [Michael Rennie][/quote]

Oh, that cool! Nice collection!
I’m not a great macaroni combat fun and I have only seen Inglorious Bastards (due to the Tarantino movie). It’s not a good film, but I watched it with friends and we had great laughs!!! The best scene is with the women in the river… :o

The best scene is with the women in the river...

I concur.

I haven’t seen many of these films, but the ones I have are highly memorable. And I hate to give a boring answer, but INGLORIOUS BASTARDS is my favorite of the lot. I really love that film! Just plain goofy fun.

I’d love to watch another macaroni in the next weeks and I’m thinking about commandos.
How is it or do you have any suggestions?

I recommend Paolo Cavara’s La cattura featuring David McCallum and Nicoletta Macchiavelli. Nice snowy setting.
Others: Rose rosse per il fĂźhrer by Fernando Di Leo and Uccidete Rommel by Alfonso Brescia.