Italian war movies aka Macaroni Combat

I recommend Paolo Cavara's La cattura featuring David McCallum and Nicoletta Macchiavelli. Nice snowy setting.

That sounds good. I love films with a snowy setting!

Is it set during World War II?

Oh, Macchiavelli! Thatā€™s the one Iā€™d watch next! ;D

Well, I canā€™t find Paolo Cavaraā€™s La cattura. Thereā€™s only an Italian DVD in amazon and it has only Italian audio. :-\

I used to have it on Dutch VHS. That version was in English.

Ok, what is the title of it? La cattura?

The Ravine, released by Intervision Video.

This one?

Thats the Ravine yes. That cover is the U.K re release cover from 1987. The U.K pre cert tape on The Intervision label Bad Lieutenant refers to is this one and a much more better cover representative of the actual film:

[url]http://www.pre-cert.co.uk/display.php?vId=UK04256[/url]

Apparently an international outfit, Intervision. The Dutch release looks exactly the same.

Yep! The cover is much much better! Iā€™m gonna see if I find itā€¦
It has caught my interest. :slight_smile:

Hey, just a quick question, how long is the uncut version of Commandos supposed to be? Iā€™ve got the Code Red dvd and Sullivanā€™s Marauders there is only 82 min. The St. Claire Vision is listed on Amazon as being 98 min, while on IMDB the full runtime is listed as 112 min.

It seems there is an Italian version around 114 min (Czech DVD so I guess it is in PAL, only Czech and Italian audio/subtitle options).

There is also a fan made version at CG which combines English, French (the longest of the three) and German versions into one (all have footage not available in the other two) which makes the total length slightly under 112min.

[quote=ā€œSundance, post:93, topic:622ā€]It seems there is an Italian version around 114 min (Czech DVD so I guess it is in PAL, only Czech and Italian audio/subtitle options).

There is also a fan made version at CG which combines English, French (the longest of the three) and German versions into one (all have footage not available in the other two) which makes the total length slightly under 112min.[/quote]

Ok great! Thanks!

Is it just me or is the shot of the train in the title scene from Inglorious Bastards[/url] (about 30 seconds in) lifted from the opening of

Once Upon A Time in The West

(about 1:15 in)?

You know, I think it is. I watched the Trailer for OUATITW, and the train fits the same shape a the IB opening.

Does anybody know which macaroni combat films are available on DVD in English? So far I have the Wild East double feature, Kochā€™s Five for Hell and the Czech releases of Suicide Commandos and When Heroes Die. Hoping to get some more.

Hereā€™s an additional page to research them
https://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/Macaroni_Combat:_A_History

Iā€™ll add a couple of reviews to the site of films not yet reviewed. Iā€™ve done quite a few for Filmrecensies net, most of them in Dutch (gives me a good excuse to rewatch the movies)

1 Like

btw I also own this, should probably shut it down http://www.macaronicombat.net/

Already had a look at those websites and figured you were behind them. :slight_smile: Well, I canā€™t seem to find DVDs of most of these movies. I have a few on VHS that Iā€™d love to get on DVD, too, but I donā€™t know of any releases.
I heard that The Red Berets was released on a German DVD with English audio. I canā€™t seem to find it on German amazon or ebay though.