Italian Crime Films

I didn’t know about the delay, glad I know now though so I won’t be checking the mailbox all next week lol

hm I wonder what I was missing out then. The problem I noticed was a bit of dialogue in the end missing English subtitles… but the press copies I received I received many weeks ago already so they must have the other mistake as well

Free Hand for a Tough Cop opens with shots filmed in Monument Valley. What do we know about this? Re-used shots, newly filmed shots?

Finally got around to seeing The Long Arm of the Godfather. Was a little disappointed in it, to be honest. Peter Lee Lawrence is one of my favorite actors and the setup sounded incredible, but it felt a little bland overall. I don’t know, might’ve missed something.

The Long Arm

3 Likes

Watching Damiano’s “Lipstick”. Interesting one

3 Likes

Tony Arzenta, a.k.a Big Guns starring Alain Delon coming out on blu from Radiance :+1:

6 Likes

Already have the Explosive Media release but that’s a cool pick up by Radiance!

2 Likes

Alain Delon is one of my many favorite actors, so I’ll definitely be double dipping this one along with the Explosive Media release, especially for Delon’s 1973 interview.

2 Likes

Since I am good on Tony Arzenta from EM…I may look into that Bounty Hunter Trilogy…looks interesting :thinking:

3 Likes

Yeah fo real

2 Likes

That bounty hunter set looks f*cking insane. Never been so fast to decide I wanna blind but something. The Lone Wolf and Cub series is an all time favourite so it’s a no brainer recently.

The trailer they made for the set is awesome, although they haven’t put it on their YouTube yet:
https://www.reddit.com/r/boutiquebluray/s/RInlWfLfth

4 Likes

Yeah that trailer looks amazing. A little Gatlin Gun Django Style. I think that trailer sold me on it!!!

2 Likes

Thanks for posting the link, amigo…even though you have most likely cost me some money. :laughing:

4 Likes

I really like the film, so I might very well get this!

Tony Arzenta
I am looking at dvdcompare, why is it a minute difference on the international cut, between the French Blu-Ray (113:21) and the German Blu-Ray (112:27)? Is it some extra intro logos on the Pathe?

Blu-ray B France- Pathe! Distribution - No cuts - contains both the French Theatrical Cut (103:26) and the International Cut (113:21)
Blu-ray B Limited Edition Germany- Explosive Media - No cuts - contains both the "German Theatrical Cut" (96:36) and the "International Cut" (112:27)
1 Like

Very good film (my favorite Duccio Tessari film outside of the Ringo movies). Look forward to the Radiant release. Hope it sells well under the title “Tony Arzenta”; although I prefer the alternative title “No Way Out”, which to me seems the most appropriate for the story. From a marketing standpoint, I feel character names as titles makes for tough marketing. Even “Big Guns”, which is a bit generic, at least gives a sense of genre. Hope this decision doesn’t hamper sales for Radiant because I definitely want to see more quality Polizioteschi releases. Was very happy to get their Cosa Nostra Franco Nero box set. Keep up the great work, Radiance!

4 Likes

Starting to dive into Arrow’s “Years of Lead” box set and began with the two Vittorio Salerno films (“The Savage Three” and “No, the Case is Happily Resolved”). I thought both of these were excellent and can stand among the best of the genre (in my humble opinion). I love how Salerno’s direction compliments the psychological underpinnings of the story (like the rat scene at the beginning of “Savage Three” sets up a visual metaphor for the basic psychology of the film and Salerno focuses much of his direction on scenes with humans confined in tight spaces throughout). Joe Dallesandro gives an excellent performance, striking a tone that feels much like Christian Bale’s character Patrick Bateman from American Psycho.

savagethree

“No, the Case is Happily Resolved” was reminiscent of a more Hitchcockian story and, again, the direction from Salerno is just great. Although I do think Arrow should have put the original ending on the movie (or given the option to view the movie with whichever ending you prefer). In the extras, Salerno states his disappointment with the “happy ending” he was forced to reshoot, and I agree that it does not fit the films theme and tone (although I am glad Arrow did at least include the original ending in the special features).

Anyone know why Salerno only made four films as a director? He seemed to be a great talent.

2 Likes

Blue Underground are doing a 4K of High Crime! I’m happy with my German blu as this isn’t a top favourite for me but BUs other 4Ks have been pretty good I seem to remember. Is this the first Poliziotteschi on 4K??

5 Likes

High Crime is definitely one of my favourites but I don’t have a 4K player. It’s interesting that it should be the first Euro crime on 4K considering it was neglected for so long and confined to a bootleg DVD sourced from a VHS.

2 Likes

I was so long waiting for a decent release of this film that when I finally got the Blu Ray, I was no longer interested.

1 Like