Italian Crime Films

Was thinking of picking up The Long Arm of the Godfather simply because it stars Peter Lee Lawrence. Just out of curiosity, anyone here had the chance to see it?

I have only seen the uncut version and I liked the movie quite a bit. But as I have no idea what was cut, I can only assume it loses either political stuff or backstory the distributors deemed unnecessary. In most cases, exactly the stuff lending a film depth and character motivationā€¦ too bad schnittberichte.com doesnā€™t have a detailed comparison of the two versions

1 Like

I seem to remember reading that the 93-minute cut removes a big part of the film. I too have only seen the uncut version on the most recent German blu-ray and that one ends with a big shootout at the end. I remember reading somewhere that the 93-minute cut removes that entirely.

I watched it last year but I was sick with covid and I think I slept through almost half of it. I liked the end scene at least. My version was from terrible Brentwood box which should be avoided.

I think my rating was something like 5/10

1 Like

I checked this out for the same reason - I do think PLL had good on-screen charisma and likability.
Itā€™s worth a look for sure, but itā€™s not that hidden gem that I was, or I suspect you are hoping for ā€¦ It starts outing very promisingly, and seems to drift, or maybe I was drifting, as it didnā€™t hold my attention. Itā€™s not the worst Euro-crime movie youā€™ll encounter, but itā€™s a bit wishy-washy, Iā€™m sorry to say.

1 Like

Thanks @Bill_san_Antonio, thanks @aldo, sort suspect it wonā€™t be the best myself. Peter Lee Lawrence is one of my favorite actors, though, so canā€™t resist the chance to see him play a young, renegade gangster trying to cheat his don. Actually, to your point @aldo, if the film uses his charisma to its full effectā€“which a lot of the westerns donā€™t seem to doā€“thatā€™ll alone make it worth getting for me.

1 Like

You guys see the press release for the Lenzi/Milan Box set? Looks tempting but already own all 5 films on blu-ray through 88 films and Code Red. Kind of disappointing there wasnā€™t at least one new to blu in the set. Itā€™s great for the non region free market though stateside.

3 Likes

Looks like a cracking set. I had 4/5 of them and realised I never got around to picking up Syndicate Sadists which is one of my fav euro crime films so Iā€™ve ordered it from CEX for a tenner. Looks like a smashing set for people who want to get into the genre, and the 4 soundtrack CDs are pretty nifty too!

2 Likes

Syndicate Sadists is awesome, and I really dig that hat.

1 Like

A website called DVD-lady has a bootleg of Gangster 70 with English subs. Has anyone ever used this site and know how good they are??

Not me but I see Raro is releasing The New Godfathers on blu starring Garko from 78. Anyone seen this film before and thoughts?

3 Likes

Itā€™s fantastic. I really enjoyed the performance by Mario Merola. Itā€™s worth mentioning that lots of footages are from another movie. The score is great. Itā€™s a gem for sure.

1 Like

Nice, I will pick it up then!!!

Iā€™ll check this out.

Rome Armed to the Teeth (Lenzi / 1976)

On a bit of a Lenzi kick at the moment so thought it about time I cracked open the 88 Films Bluray of this one I bought a while back. Quintessential poliziottesco with Merli punching everyone he meets in the face, fiats and BMWs hurtling around the streets of Rome with absolute abandon and Tomas Milian stealing the show with his psychotic hunchbacked villain, spraying machine gun bullets around like confetti. Great stuff.

2 Likes

Free Hand for a Tough Cop (Lenzi / 1976)

Watched the Fractured Visions Bluray of this one which is a pretty good release. The film has itā€™s moments but on the whole Monezza is probably my least favourite Milian character. Outside of his Chinese/Japanese monstrosities of course. Enjoyable stuff on the whole though.

7 Likes

Had the Blu Ray since it came out but I still havenā€™t watched it yet :joy: Still havenā€™t watched my blus of Day of the Cobra or The Sicilian Connection eitherā€¦need to try and get round to it soon.

Must admit though I did try watching Brothers Til We Die a couple of years ago and only made it about half-way. Not sure if Iā€™ll like this one or not but Iā€™ll try it anyway.

Brothers Till We Die is simply amazing. There is this feeling of being trapped throughout the whole movie. The score is perfect. I am grateful that it got the high definition treatment.

Canā€™t really remember what I didnā€™t like other than thinking that, like @Phil_H said, Monezza is one of Milianā€™s weakest characters. I also remember thinking that Itā€™s a shame because I think The Hunchback is a great villain. There were other things I didnā€™t like but canā€™t remember what.

2 Likes

For my money, the best Politzioteschi are REVOLVER, MILANO CALIBRO 9, THE ITALIAN CONNECTION, THE BIG RACKET, ALMOST HUMAN, RULERS OF THE CITY, IL BOSS. Definitely a genre worth exploring!

6 Likes