Italian Crime Films

Watched No, The Case is Happily Resolved the other night. Really good one but it’s not your typical Poliziotteschi; very light on action but it’s a good story which I found engaging and really engrossing.

Found the ending a bit strange because it ends so suddenly, but I think it worked quite well.

I think I’d rank the films in the Years of Lead set like this:

1. Highway Racer
  2. No, The Case…
  3. The Savage Three
  4. Colt 38…

Even though to be fair I can’t say I’ve watched the latter in it’s entirety. I might watch it until the end just for the sake of it sometime soon.

1 Like

Can’t say I really enjoyed that one but I appreciate it for what it is. It really made you feel bad for the guy. Did you check out the alternate happy ending in the extras? It’s hilariously bad.

Totally that’s what I really liked.

No I didn’t. Going to have to now…I’ll let you know what I think.

It is pretty damn good…relative to the genre

I agree…I think arguably it’s Castellari’s best. Still haven’t seen Day of the Cobra yet though.

The Limited Edition Years of Lead set (with the booklet) is only £30 on Amazon right now >> https://amzn.to/3t8pPlN

Received my StudioCanal Blu of High Crime and can confirm it sadly is missing the final shootout :unamused: Can’t understand they would want it cut like that.

1 Like

Whats the runtime the player shows in total? It may be missing almost 10min compared to the German disc

I’ll have a look and let you know tomorrow at the latest.

It is indeed 10 minutes almost precisely. The StudioCanal disc is 1:33.15 and the German disc is 1:43.13.

4 Likes

20 years I’ve waited to see this properly after only finding a crappy VHS dub… and they do this!

I missed the German release.

1 Like

Strange Vice has 2 left in stock and they ship worldwide :+1:
https://www.strangevice.co.uk/films/poliziotteschi-euro-crime/high-crime

1 Like

Grab the Strange Vice one while you can…I’m not sure what price it’s going for but I’m sure it’s worth it.

Edit: £23 isn’t too cheap but I think worth it for a rare and underrated film.

I bought the German release off of a guy on eBay. We conversed at the time and he said he was selling it as he was planning on buying the new release. He might not be too happy. :grimacing:

2 Likes

No I doubt he is. There’s no way I’d sell the German one until an uncut Italian dubbed version emerges.

1 Like

I’m in a pickle now… my CanalPlus one has shipped, do I just keep it for the extras and wait to get a German copy and watch that? Will I just spoil the film by settling for the cut version? As it won’t be how I remembered it…

I guess you could watch maybe like half of the cut version and if you enjoy it then order German one. Considering it basically cuts the conclusion of the film it would probably spoil the film immensely.

Makes me wonder if the ending I remember is the cut one or not cut, it alludes to something tragic and flashback to the earlier tragedy?

If it was a VHS rip it think it was the uncut one like my bootleg or the English dvd that came out years ago under I think the title ‘The Marseilles Connection’. Did it have the shootout at the end?

I went ahead amd ordered the German one too!

2 Likes