Italian Crime Films

Yeah, I guess I should say “love seeing him as a criminal/antihero.” One of the reasons why Garringo is one of my favorite films.

Think I may end up doing that. Seems like the easiest way. Thanks for the heads up about the “Big Guns Collection,” though.

1 Like

The pleasures all mine!

1 Like

49.99 grab it while it lasts! To be replaced by the standard edition in two weeks… Amazon.com

https://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/YEARS_OF_LEAD:_FIVE_CLASSIC_ITALIAN_CRIME_THRILLERS_1973–1977

1 Like

Watched The Savage Three the other night via the Arrow release and quite liked it. Not one of my absolute favourites of the genre but to my own surprise I quite liked Joe Dallesandro in the lead (I’m a big Lou Reed fan and after what he had to say about him in ‘Take No Prisoners’ I didn’t think he’d be up to much) and of course I liked Salerno as the opposition. Just wish the latter had more screen time but I thought it was definitely worth checking out.

I also tried watching Colt 38…again but again I couldn’t make it all the way through. Going to try No, The Case is Happily Resolved over the next few nights.

3 Likes

What don’t you enjoy about Colt 38? I remember it taking a bit to get going but it was my second favourite out of the set - just behind Highway Racer.

2 Likes

Think the action was good for it’s time but I didn’t care for any of the lead actors or characters. It’s a shame though because I love Bandidos and What Have You Done to Solange?, and I wanted to like it because it was Dallamano’s last film.

I agree Highway Racer’s my favourite so far as well, still haven’t watched No, The Case…yet though.

1 Like

My Blu of High Crime came earlier than expected, haven’t watched it yet but I popped it in and it looks great :+1:

2 Likes

I suppose it depends on what you want out of a film. I personally don’t mind sacrificing some character building for a juicy bit of action but some would prefer a tighter-knit character-driven story. I personally didn’t enjoy High Crime much as there is little action and it’s much more about the politics and drama so hopefully you will enjoy it :+1:

I certainly enjoy a good bit of action, but if the characters/actors it revolve’s around aren’t likeable, interesting or enjoyable in any way I have a harder time relating to it.

I’ve already seen High Crime…I watched it when I first got into the genre. It’s one of my favourites no doubt.

1 Like

I think I might rewatch it tonight. I tend to enjoy movies more when I know what type of film, are so now that I know it’s less action-oriented I might enjoy it more. I had the same problem with Cemetery Without Crosses. I thought it was utter crap the first time but when I rewatched knowing it wasn’t the regular type of western I was used to, I loved it. Now it sits firmly in my top 10!

1 Like

Well, on my second watch I enjoyed it a hell of a lot more. I still prefer Street Law and Hitchhike but this was still great. I still think I would have enjoyed it even more if the plot was less confusing - most of the time I didn’t really get what was going on. For me it’s gone from a 5/10 to a 7/10.

1 Like

I love all four of Castellari’s most popular crime films but I think The Big Racket, High Crime and Street Law are all really close. I love Hitchhike too.

I know exactly what you mean. I had the same thing with $10,000 Blood Money.

1 Like

Just finished watching Rome, The Other Face of Violence [1976] and wow…that was awesome. I can’t believe I’m saying this but Anthony Steffen was actually really good in this. It had the perfect amount of violence/shootouts but there were still loads of amazing character performances and I actually cared about most of the characters. The car chases in this are all great too. All of this is accompanied by a fantastic score which is just the cherry on top. This is easily #2 on my poliziotteschi ranking.

6 Likes

It was pretty mind blowing wasn’t it? Thinking about it it’s another eurocrime film that deserves a good Blu Ray release.

3 Likes

If anyone hasn’t gotten the German release, StudioCanal are also releasing High Crime as part of the new Cult Classic selection (although from the current early info it says the runtime is 93 mins which would mean it’s the shorter import version):

2 Likes

To be honest if it has the Italian audio with English subtitles I might have to double dip on this one.

By the way I meant to ask what’s your favourite out of curiosity?

2 Likes

Mario Bava’s Rabid Dogs

2 Likes

Love Rome, The Other Side of Violence…Definitely one of my favorites!!!

2 Likes

Everyone raves about High Crime but never seen the big appeal personally, I like it but just average imo. I want Violent Naples and Rome to hit blu.

2 Likes