Italian Crime Films

Gambling City is a good little film…I wouldn’t rank it anywhere near as high as Revolver or The Tough Ones, or The Strange Vice of Mrs Wardh, but it’s definetely worth watching if you’re a fan of the genre.
I tried watching Colt 38…and couldn’t make it all the way through. If I remember rightly the action was good but the characters were way too flat and boring.

Thanks Bill!

I like both a lot, prefer Colt 38 Special Squad the music score and action is stunning… Gambling City starts out with an annoying music score that makes it feel sort of light hearted and comedic but gets better as it goes along.

1 Like

That’s one of the things I really liked about it. I thought at first I was going to hate the film because of the opening and the music, but by the end as it got way more serious i was pretty engaged and really surprised. I think it’s the best crime film I’ve seen with Luc Merenda…either that or Kidnap Syndicate.

Kept forgetting to mention that I recently watched Rome: The Other Face of Violence -really underrated Poliziotteschi. The most mind-blowing thing about it was that Anthony Steffen played the lead and he was actually decent. I wouldn’t say his performance was Shakespearean, but he was certainly a lot better than he normally is in spaghetti’s. Recommended if you’re a fan of the genre.

1 Like

Also watched Goodbye and Amen the other night…great hostage film. I also have bootlegs of Damiani’s A Man on His Knees and I Am Afraid that I’d like to get round to soon and I’m quite looking forward to it.

This looks interesting for the Euro Crime fans among us

https://amzn.to/3fVPpot

https://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/YEARS_OF_LEAD:_FIVE_CLASSIC_ITALIAN_CRIME_THRILLERS_1973–1977

4 Likes

I’m waiting to see when Amazon US will drop the price a little, then scoop it up. Looking forward to this one myself as I missed out on the German releases of some of the titles.

Unfortunately Arrow won’t be releasing the English dub of Highway Racer as far as I know. They should have asked for it and I would have sent them a copy

Arriving on German Netflix shortly

1 Like

Those who enjoy English dubs will be happy to know that I sent a copy of Highway Racer to Arrow, which they will be able to use for the Blu-ray. Happy that I was able to contribute towards the release.

3 Likes

Wow cool, it lands on Netflix in Germany today (Italian with subtitles).

Yesterday I watched the Gangsters '70 bluray, also a nice flick, but the disc is not English friendly because of licensing reasons

Not personally interested in this upcoming release, but thought others might be…
According to ‘Amazon’, it will be released on June 21st.

4 Likes

Yep see phil’s post above. Also check the GCDb’s release calendar

Fighting my way through the Nico Giraldi films, and in Squadra Antitruffa there is a fake spaghetti western segment in there that looks pretty damn good :slight_smile:

Out now

https://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/YEARS_OF_LEAD:_FIVE_CLASSIC_ITALIAN_CRIME_THRILLERS_1973–1977

1 Like

Mine arrived yesterday.
Now I just need to find time to watch them.

2 Likes

Something is really wrong the way amazon links are being embedded…

1 Like

Has anyone here seen The Long Arm of the Godfather? I’ve been on a real Peter Lee Lawrence kick lately and I love seeing him as a villain, so I was wondering if it’s worth buying the DVD.

The movie is pretty good, though PLL isn’t the villain in it, Adolfo Celi is and he is quite great. The “Big Guns Collection” has it in quite bad picture quality but what seems like a good aspect ratio. If you can find the set for like 10 bucks I recommend getting it, for such a hard to find movie

1 Like