Italian Crime Films

That is close enough :slight_smile: Thanks.

I now have a top 20 for this genre I think. I know there’s no official top 20 here but there is a lot of list-making on this site and I’ve devised one so I thought what the hell.

1. Revolver

2. The Tough Ones

3. Almost human

4. Manhunt

5. High Crime

6. The Big racket

7. Street law

8. Contraband

9. Calibre 9

10. Violent Naples

11. Rabid Dogs

12. Tony Arzenta

13. Bandits in Milan

14. The Heroin Busters

15. The Cynic, the Rat and the Fist

16. A Special Cop in Action

17. The Hired Gun

18. Blazing Magnums

19. Gambling City

20. From Corleone to Brooklyn

You never need apologise for making another list around here. We bloody love a list.

1 Like

La polizia ringrazia (Execution Squad) (1972)

https://amzn.to/2H3SL8v

1 Like

Wow. Nice. Never managed to pick up the dvd release before it went OOP so this is great news :slight_smile:

It’s funny how I have made many top20 list for sw over the years but for giallo or crime flick -which I’ve seen quite many too- I’ve never made it. I could probably name my top5 for both genres but that’s about it.

I just watched Giuseppe Vari’s Ritornano quelli della calibro 38 with bland english title Gangsters. I wanted to see it because I like Vari’s westerns but unfortunately apart from Luciano Rossi there’s really nothing memorable or special in the film.

I’ve enjoyed a few of these flicks, but my main complaint with many of them is the English dubbed versions - Typically they have American voice actors using very exaggerated American accents and slang, plus referring to dollars rather than Italian Lira, as if they’re pretending the films are set in some fictional nameless American city. Neutral, or preferably Italian accents would certainly raise their value for me.
I have discussed this with Italian friends, who’ve all told me that so much of the local humour gets lost in these redubs. But I suppose many will just enjoy the exploitation style crime movies, purely for these reasons and the over the top violent scenarios.

Me too!..and to be honest, i don’t mind the over the top violence/exploitation style on some of them. If it entertains me, i’m ok with it.

Me too. :smile:

Yeah I can definetely agree with that. I’ve been lucky enough to see a fair few in Italian though like Almost Human, Bandits in Milan, The Milieu Trilogy etc. They’re certainly much better viewing that way.

1 Like

Operazione Kappa…sparate A Vista! by Subkultur Entertainment
Cover A limited to 500 pieces

Cover B limited to 500 pieces

1 Like

Sold :wink:

Btw more reviews of such movies are wanted for the GCDb! If you are interested, let me know

Currently watching Street People by Maurizio Lucidi

https://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/Street_People

1 Like

Gang War in Milan with Antonio Sabata was :+1:.

1 Like

Fantastic film!

1 Like

Forgot to mention that a few months back I watched Mad Dog Killer and Live Like a Cop, Die Like a Man and I didn’t expect much from either but really enjoyed the hell out of them, particularly Mad Dog… I think Nanni Vitali had to be the genre’s best villain outside of Almost Human. I also watched Convoy Busters but I was nowhere near as enthusiastic about that one.

2 Likes

Both excellent genre films! :ok_hand:

Yeah definitely. I also have Di Leo’s Blood and Diamonds coming in the post and I’m looking forward to watching that one as well.

Also watched Blood and Diamonds last week and I was dissapointed. It lacked the style of Di Leo’s other movies and I didn’t find Cassinelli convincing in the lead. I also have Highway Racer to watch but I probably won’t get chance to watch it until after christmas :frowning: Loking forward to it though.