Italian Crime Films

Watched the La mala ordina / Manhunt / The Italian Connection and wasn’t that much impressed. I like Mario Adorf’s over the top style and it’s his show here, but complete rest of the cast is underused, Strode, Silva and the classy ladies Paluzzi and Koscina do nothing in this movie. But Armando Trovajoli’s funky percussive score saved the day, I was tapping my feet every time it was playing.

I love Manhunt.

The Italian Connection is my favorite Di Leo film. Great cast. Loved Adorf and Silva and an awesome score too! Milan Caiber.9 is a close 2nd.

I prefer Caliber 9 over Italian Connection, but I like to think of them as just 2 parts of the same movie :smiley: The Boss I think is the weakest of the three, mainly because I can’t see how it’s linked story-wise to the first two. Great opening scene though, and you gotta love Henry Silva! ;D

[quote=“RamonRed, post:603, topic:376”]The Italian Connection is my favorite Di Leo film. Great cast. Loved Adorf and Silva and an awesome score too! Milan Caiber.9 is a close 2nd.[/quote]I think Calibre 9 is the better film but Manhunt is more fun and I’ve seen it more times. Calibre 9 actually has my favourite pre-credits sequence.

Have to go with Milano Calibro 9. Very suspenseful, incredible soundtrack. Just great all around movie!

Prefer Calibre 9 and The Boss, but they’re all 10/10, imo

Calibro 9 worked much better for me, better plot, more interesting characters (Barbara Bouchet!). Music is great in both. Haven’t seen The Boss.

I tend to agree with you, Yodaf. The Italian Connection is more fun which is probably why I like it a bitmore, but Milan Caliber .9 defenitly has the better story. The Boss and Shoot First, Die Later are also incredible, but their “bitter” tone puts them #'s 3 and 4 among my favorite Di Leo films.

The Boss is the one I viewed most recently. Silva is one cold mf in that one! It’s fuckin’ awesome!

The only Italian crime film I’ve seen so far is The Boss and I must echo Bad Lieutenant’s sentiments: it’s as tough as nails and totally exciting!

[quote=“John Welles, post:611, topic:376”]The only Italian crime film I’ve seen so far is The Boss and I must echo Bad Lieutenant’s sentiments: it’s as tough as nails and totally exciting![/quote]Check out some of the Umberto Lenzi ones starring Maurizio Merli :wink:

Thanks for the recommendation - this year I’m intending to watch more films in the genre; the Raro Blu-ray sets of Fernando di Leo’s crime films look very good. Are they Region Free?

Yes! These are must see films. Rome Armed To The Teeth is my favorite Poliziotteschi film.

This is a sub-genre I haven’t dug into much. I’ve seen the big guns, but there seems to be so much more.

This is a very informative thread. I’ve garnered quite a few new titles to look forward to in the future. But darn it! The SWDB is costing me a lot of money! I used to rarely buy DVDs, but now I’m stacking them up. Darn you SWDB! :slight_smile:

[quote=“RamonRed, post:614, topic:376”]Yes! These are must see films. Rome Armed To The Teeth is my favorite Poliziotteschi film.[/quote]That’s a Claibre 9/Manhunt scenario for me. I think Violent Napes is Lenzi’s best crime film but The Tough Ones (the title I’ve always called RATTT) is more fun.

[quote=“Marvin W. Bronson, post:615, topic:376”]This is a sub-genre I haven’t dug into much. I’ve seen the big guns, but there seems to be so much more.[/quote]Crime and Westerns are my two favourite Italian genres.

Talking of two words you just said, have you seen Big Guns/Tony Arzenta with Alain Delon? It’s the only Italian crime film he made and it’s a cracker.

Here’s the trailer

I can’t say that I have. But after viewing that trailer, it’s now a must for me! Thanks for providing that link. :slight_smile:

You should watch it. The script is rather standard, but it’s so beautifully crafted by Tessari and so deftly acted by Delon that it becomes a hugely enjoyable piece of actioner.

Il boss and Milano Calibro 9 are my two favorites. If you don’t yet have it, the Fernando di Leo Crime Collection vol 1 has those AND Italian Connection! 3 great movies for one great price :slight_smile: Rulers of the City is also in the set. That one sucks.