Italian Crime Films

Nice list, Russell22.

I’m an expert on spaghetti westerns, not on Euro crime, but willing to learn, and still discovering the genre.

I’ll try to watch the movies of this list (in the not too distant future). Some I already have watched (6, 8 and 10). My personal favorite so far: 6. Street Law. Indeed: Top Notch. Wasn’t too fond of 8. Manhunt (okay, but not great imo).

All them films on his list are top notch Scherp :wink:

Thanks guys, my list constantly changes though.lol I still have some i haven’t watched yet so a few of these may way their way onto my top 10 in the future. One film that i didn’t mention that possibly should’ve been on there is the excellent “WEAPONS OF DEATH” Starring Henry Silva,Leonard Mann and Jeff Blynn, this one is top notch and is a sort of sequel to “Violent Naples” as it features the Gennaro kid who got crippled in that movie, he turns up again here and his luck isn’t much better this time around either!, there’s also reference to Mann’s Inspector character being newly appointed to the police in Naples with the old one departing to another city (presumably Merli’s Commisioner Betti) There’s some realy good action in this and it’s a rare film in that the 3 leads are all american, Mann is no Merli substitute but he’s ok i guess, had Merli been in this it would’ve been so much better! I have a DVDR of this which is taken from a widescreen VHS copy, still sadly unavailable on DVD anywhere as far as i know?

Hs anyone seen Maurizio Merli’s “Hunted City” Directed by Stelvio Massi? I watched it last night and would be interested in what other people’s opinions on it are? I didn’t rate it much but i’ve heard some regard it as a somewhat hidden gem? I’ve never been much of Stelvio Massi fan to be honest, i’ve mostly found his movies plodding affairs. It’s such a shame that post 1977 Italian crime films seemed to get more generic and less violent.

Weapons of Death is a favourite of mine. There is a German dvd which is to be avoided as all the violence is cut.

Not being a true fan of these movies, I don’t want to rush things. I planned to watch them all (and a few more), but not all at the same time

[quote=“Russell22, post:543, topic:376”]Hs anyone seen Maurizio Merli’s “Hunted City” Directed by Stelvio Massi? I watched it last night and would be interested in what other people’s opinions on it are? I didn’t rate it much but i’ve heard some regard it as a somewhat hidden gem? I’ve never been much of Stelvio Massi fan to be honest, i’ve mostly found his movies plodding affairs. It’s such a shame that post 1977 Italian crime films seemed to get more generic and less violent.[/quote]I quite like the Massi/Merli collaborations, not a patch on the Lenzi ones granted but still pretty good.

Have you seen THe Rebel and Highway Racer Russell, these two are pretty good. Il Commissario Di Ferro is quite a hard watch though.

Speaking of Stelvio Massi, what do you think of Il conto è chiuso/The Last Round? I have not seen it yet, but I heard that it has many SW ingredients.

I enjoyed it, are the dvd’s cut to this…, cannot 100% remember reading somewhere they were.

[quote=“JonathanCorbett, post:547, topic:376”]Speaking of Stelvio Massi, what do you think of Il conto è chiuso/The Last Round? I have not seen it yet, but I heard that it has many SW ingredients.[/quote]It’s like A fistful of Dollars. Quite a good film and nice to se Merenda as a villain.

Has anyone seen Violent Rome by Griolami with Merli? Merli looks cool and in my opinion he’s very charismatic.
The film looks great but is it worth to purchase for 13 dollars?

[quote=“Mickey13, post:550, topic:376”]Have anyone seen Violent Rome by Griolami with Merli? Merli looks cool and in my opinion he’s very charismatic.
The film looks great but is it worth to purchase for 13 dollars?[/quote]Worth every Cent.

I’m sure this trailer will convince you :wink:

Damn: Merli, Conte, Lovelock and Steiner!
I think that’s what I was looking for. Thanks! :smiley:
Awesome trailer BTW.

[quote=“Yodlaf Peterson, post:546, topic:376”]I quite like the Massi/Merli collaborations, not a patch on the Lenzi ones granted but still pretty good.

Have you seen THe Rebel and Highway Racer Russell, these two are pretty good. Il Commissario Di Ferro is quite a hard watch though.[/quote]

No i haven’t but “The Rebel” is next on my list to watch, i havent seen Il Comissario di Ferro either as it seems almost impossible to find! Its one of the harder one’s to track down, I believe there is no english dub for it as one was never done as Massi ran out of money and the ending to the movie was rushed.

I much prefer Merli’s collabs with Lenzi and Girolami, i’ve never really dug massi that much, i always struggle with his movies but i heard a lot of people like Hunted City? i didn’t rate it that much but The Rebel looks better from what i’ve seen…which one do you pefer?

[quote=“Mickey13, post:550, topic:376”]Have anyone seen Violent Rome by Griolami with Merli? Merli looks cool and in my opinion he’s very charismatic.
The film looks great but is it worth to purchase for 13 dollars?[/quote]

Absolutely Mickey! though Violent Naples is the better all round film, both are excellent though, all 3 films in the Comissario Betti series are top draw but watch them in order ( without giving much away!)

If you don’t want to pay much the pop flix lael have loads of these 5 movies on 2 disc sets for around $5 or so, and around the same in pounds in the uk. The “Mafia kingpin” collection of there’s has 5 Italian crime films on including Violent Naples! and another Merli/Lenzi classic “The Cynic,the rat and the fist”, the prints of these movies aren’t too bad but aren’t quite as good as the Alpha digital releases of the movies, they are both in widescreen, also on there you get the Tomas Milian cop film “Cop in blue jeans” the first and best in the Nico Giraldi series of movies he did, good film but no classic, also stars Jack Palance, you also get Kirk Douglas movie “The Master Touch” and the Fernando Dileo crime epic “Mister scarface” aka Rulers of the city, the print of this on the set is mearly a 2nd gen VHS transfer but is watchable…worth getting if your on a budget.

I’ve just seen Convoy Busters (1977) by Stelvio Massi.
It’s said to be a little dull. Well, frankly speaking, I didn’t found anything particularly dull in it. It’s a very, very enjoyable poliziotteschi with nice direction and music. The first part was action-packed and pretty exciting I must say, at least I enjoyed it. In the second, there was less shooting, but at last appeared stunning Olga Karlatos and I need no action at all. :wink: I have to say it was quite gripping viewing and after some negative comments on it I didn’t anticipate too much, I found surprisingly good. A very good movie, even though I might be in minority. 4 stars

[quote=“Mickey13, post:555, topic:376”]I’ve just seen Convoy Busters (1977) by Stelvio Massi.
It’s said to be a little dull. Well, frankly speaking, I didn’t found anything particularly dull in it. It’s a very, very enjoyable poliziotteschi with nice direction and music. The first part was action-packed and pretty exciting I must say, at least I enjoyed it. In the second, there was less shooting, but at last appeared stunning Olga Karlatos and I need no action at all. :wink: I have to say it was quite gripping viewing and after some negative comments on it I didn’t anticipate too much, I found surprisingly good. A very good movie, even though I might be in minority. 4 stars[/quote]You’re right, it is a good film. I reckon the only reason some people don’t think it’s that great because they are comparing it with the Lenzi and Girolami collaborations which to be fair are much better.

i fall sleep during the midle of the film ???

[quote=“Mickey13, post:550, topic:376”]Has anyone seen Violent Rome by Griolami with Merli? Merli looks cool and in my opinion he’s very charismatic.
The film looks great but is it worth to purchase for 13 dollars?[/quote]

I gotta agree that it is also, having just watched it for the first time yesterday. It’s hard-hitting, and realistically straightforward. I’m about one-third of the way thru Napoli Violenta now. The city is more of a ‘star’ in this one. The first part of the trilogy should’ve been titled: Violento Sobborgo di Roma .

In my movie collection.

Gangsters Law
Violent Professionals
The Big Racket
The Cop In Blue Jeans
Squadra Antimafia
Eye Of The Spider Das Auge der Spinne (1971) - IMDb
The Bloody Hands Of The Law
Motel of Fear (L’ultima chance)
Sangue di sbirro Blut eines Bullen (1976) - IMDb
I padroni della città Zwei Supertypen räumen auf (1976) - IMDb

Goodbye & Amen
-A hostage film by Damiano Damiani with good cast including Claudia Cardinale, John Steiner, John Forsythe and Tony Musante. Above average film with few unexpected twists. Damiani’s directing is good and never goes too exploitative. There’s even funny line as Cardinale says: “What’s next? In the movies you’d rape me.” And after astonished look from others she adds: “In a B-movie.”