Italian Crime Films

Liberi armati pericolosi aka Young, Violent, Dangerous (1976)

Above-average Romolo Guerrieri’s poliziotteschi scripted by Fernando di Leo. Kind of Natural Born Killers 70s Italian style, it makes no points but asks a lot of questions what makes the youth become desperate and angry - and that is exactly the point of the movie. It also has a very good car chase scene and beautiful Eleonora Giorgi. On the down side, score was irritatingly ‘light’ and unsuitable.

Has anyone seen The Bastard (aka The Cats) with Giuliano Gemma & Klaus Kinski? Is it worth picking up?

Enjoyed it myself, so its a thumbs up from me.

Thanks, I will get it. I was surprised to see the Warner Archive version… They apparently share the rights to a few Italian productions. Not sure how that works but fine with me

Damn, I never knew Warner Archive put this out! Flew right under the radar that did.

Revolver a.k.a. Blood in the Streets (Sòllima, 1973)

The Spanish DVD is cut and the other version I know - with opening credits in English - includes nudity but is missing a scene that was part of the original VM18 theatrical release (116 min) in which the car runs over Calisti repeatedly. Can you tell me if there is a fully uncut release for this one? Thanks in advance.

1 Like

Is the other version you speak of the Blue Underground release? The only editions I know of are that and the OOP Italian Filmax release, it had both Italian and Spanish audio.

Yes, there are also a third release from Colosseo (without Italian audio on two scenes, ‎which is annoying) and TV broadcasts from Sky Classics and Rai Movie, but I don’t know the exact runtime and if they have the uncut version of the scene with Calisti.

I’ve only seen the BU release, and that a long time ago. I think I’ll revisit it during spring break, will let you know if it;s in there. Where is this scene reported/last seen?

I have just became interested in them big time. I have the ones that Kinski , Palance and Bronson made , also the 5 movie dvd set “Crime Boss” with Franco Nero , Yul Brynner , Telly Savalas and Oliver Reed.

I have viewed quite a few on YouTube recently and it’s great to see a lot of the SW stars appear in them , like Gordon Mitchell , Nello Pazzafini , Erika Blanc and of course , Tomas Milian.

I like it , it’s not brilliant but it is watchable . Rita Hayworth’s career was very much over when she made this movie and Kinski & Gemma are brilliant (as always).

My two favourites from this genre are Revolver and Almost Human.

The scene to check in Revolver is around 43:20 or 40:20 depending on the version.

Just discovered these two great boxes

https://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/Fernando_DiLeo_Crime_Collection

and

https://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/Fernando_DiLeo_Crime_Collection_Vol._2_(Blu_Ray)

The only thing that annoys me with this is that Shoot First, Die Later uses dubtitles. Not sure about subs on Naked Violence.

That’s unfortunate, are they really bad or just a minor aberration?

I bought the Vol. 1 box, but as DVD.

And it was the Italian Raro release, and I watched them also in Italian with English subs. But they also contain English audio and the informative booklet was bilingual too.

It was much cheaper than the English DVD. But Rulers of the City was not anamorph, but letterboxed 1,85:1. Still good enough picture quality.

They’re not too bad, they just follow the English dub. It just annoyed me, like the Blue Underground Mannaja disc, also dubtitles. I wish they actually translated the Italian, rather than slap on basic subs, and still write “Newly translated”.

1 Like

Got two reviews that might be of interest to y’all

The Day of the Owl aka Mafia aka Il Giorno della Civetta
https://www.grindhousedatabase.com/index.php/The_Day_of_the_Owl_DVD_Review

I am the Law aka The Iron Prefect aka Il Prefetto di Ferro

I watched Fidani’s La Legge della Camorra yesterday. First I thought it was going to be very good, there was two different timelines mixed in the style of Once Upon a Time in America and the scenes with Simone Blondell were good but soon it became obvious that it was one of Fid’s patchwork films made from recycled/unused material from his previous crime film Electric Chair (Haven’t seen that one). In the end the film didn’t make any sense and it just ends in scenes where gangster shoot each other and you have no idea why.

2 Likes