New and Upcoming Western Films/Shows

Doesn’t matter If they make money with them. And of course there are execptions, good ones and even better than originals but I think 80’s was the golden age of remakes, can’t think of many good one from last 10-20 years.

1 Like

John Carpenter’s The Thing and David Cronenberg’s The Fly I think are great remakes. :+1:

3 Likes

I really can’t think of any, except ‘The Thing’ (1982) … but then there will be purists who hate that too, I’m sure.

2 Likes

You just got in before me ! LOL :grinning:

1 Like

The Thing is just another adaptation of the short story Who Goes There? rather than a remake of Nyby’s film.

2 Likes

Carpenter’s film is truer to the source material (from what I’ve been told). It also has similarities to Lovecraft’s At the Mountains of Madness novella.

1 Like

I think Cronenberg’s The Fly is good but overrated. People can’t talk about it without gushing over the FX :scream:

1 Like

Gushing over the blood-gushing effects? :smile: I am somewhat biased I think because Cronenberg is Canadian. Also like Scanners and Videodrome.

1 Like

I would love to see a western directed by Gibson, but The Wild Bunch remake is a terrible idea in the first place. The Wild Bunch screenplay could very well serve as the departure point for a totally new movie altogether. The basic idea of remaking The Wild Bunch is downright silly.

You never know when a good idea for a new western is gonna pop-up.

Deadwood movie. I have never seen the series. Still on the bucket list.
Maybe they will be aired because of the movie.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/deadwood-movie-starts-filming-majority-cast-returning-1158128

3 Likes

:+1: I’m very pleased about this. Its been talked about for a long time - pretty-much since the show ended - and it was confirmed some months ago but I didn’t dare believe it might really happen until now, when it’s actually in production.

Me too :slight_smile: I genuinely started to doubt it would ever happen.

Very Cool!

1 Like

As an aspiring writer, one of my two of my dream projects is to do two Westerns in the style of the classic 60’s SW’s. I’ve always envisioned shooting the films the old school way the Italians did: without direct sound, an international cast of Americans, Italians, Germans, Spaniards, and French, and the actors speaking their native tongues to an Italian dubbed soundtrack. My location of choice would be The Old Tuscon Studios in Tuscon Arizona where modern Westerns like Wyatt Earp and The Quick and the Dead were shot (it’s still a very popular tourist attraction and they do daily original skits and recreations of scenes from the many films shot there).

I’m planning on pitching my ideas to a writer-actor friend of mine out in Hollywood if he’d be interested in collaborating on the scripts for these two ideas. I don’t want to give away too many details yet as I’m still working out the treatments in my head.

1 Like

I don’t think western is on it’s way back… the only genre people care about these days are the Marvel and DC movies.

So to make a successful western you’ll have to make Django a super hero with super powers…

1 Like

Glenn Danzig has finished writing the script for his next movie project, which he describes as a “vampire spaghetti western”.

1 Like

This is interesting

1 Like

Looks cool