New and Upcoming Western Films/Shows

Very Cool!

1 Like

As an aspiring writer, one of my two of my dream projects is to do two Westerns in the style of the classic 60’s SW’s. I’ve always envisioned shooting the films the old school way the Italians did: without direct sound, an international cast of Americans, Italians, Germans, Spaniards, and French, and the actors speaking their native tongues to an Italian dubbed soundtrack. My location of choice would be The Old Tuscon Studios in Tuscon Arizona where modern Westerns like Wyatt Earp and The Quick and the Dead were shot (it’s still a very popular tourist attraction and they do daily original skits and recreations of scenes from the many films shot there).

I’m planning on pitching my ideas to a writer-actor friend of mine out in Hollywood if he’d be interested in collaborating on the scripts for these two ideas. I don’t want to give away too many details yet as I’m still working out the treatments in my head.

1 Like

I don’t think western is on it’s way back… the only genre people care about these days are the Marvel and DC movies.

So to make a successful western you’ll have to make Django a super hero with super powers…

1 Like

Glenn Danzig has finished writing the script for his next movie project, which he describes as a “vampire spaghetti western”.

1 Like

This is interesting

1 Like

Looks cool

Interesting

https://screenrant.com/western-movies-2010s-best-decade-rotten-tomatoes/

“Only films that are classified as “westerns” on Rotten Tomatoes will be considered, which is why Slow West and The Sisters Brothers miss out.”

Why isn’t Slow West classified as a western? If that’s not a western, then I don’t know what is. It’s one of my favourites of the decade.

yea weird… wtf, both were westerns

At last! I’ve been hoping for this for a long time.

It’ll never be the same as the glory days of the SW in the 60s and 70s. Everything is too politically correct now.

2 Likes

… at least, it’s pretending to be correct ! Films aren’t like the school nativity play were everyone gets the chance to be involved out of fairness.

When you watch the recent award ceremonies, and listen to some of the bullshit speeches about equality in ‘the buisness’ … just remember, these are the same cunts who would shoot their grannies and stand on your head to get where they are today.

2 Likes

on the other hand, up until the mid-60s it was the classic western that was polished, over-idealized and non-controversial on many matters. I think there’s always waves or a pendulum in art genres, as well. I think “everything” is not too politically correct now… plus these things are in the eyes of the beholders, and it has always been a cuthroat business this movie business :slight_smile: not meant to make anyone comfortable but meant to get you to dish out money to be entertained

3 Likes

Out of touch millionaires lecturing the world. You couldn’t even walk up to these celebrities on the street and have a conversation with them.

Joaquin Phoenix is the worst of the bunch.

2 Likes

When I said “everything” what I really meant was “a lot of things.” As far as pre-60s westerns go I just haven’t seen enough of them. I just like the spaghettis mainly. People weren’t as worried about “offending” the audience back in the glory days of the SW and that includes guys like Corbucci and Sollima. Modern film-making is also just not low budget and raw enough; something’s missing…maybe it’s because of the high-tech age we live in. It feels farther removed from the 1800s/early 1900s period.

2 Likes

Another one

1 Like

I will almost certainly give this one a try.
I know a lot of western fans didn’t like Meek’s Cutoff much but I enjoyed it so happy to give this one a go too.

1 Like

Meeks Cutoff was a dry affair, and the full screen aspect ratio (why the fuck do directors do that??) didnt help but I am a sucker for an authentic western (vs the romanticized kind)