Irish Spaghetti Western Characters?

The most obvious example is James Mallory in Duck, You Sucker, but I was wondering if there were any other Spaghetti Westerns that feature Irish characters? The 1971 film Ned Kelly is one of my favorite non-Spaghetti Westerns and Irish from Red Dead Redemption is one of my favorite video game characters so I was curious about other examples in the genre.

I have watched Run Man Run and Mannaja where Donald Oā€™Brian appeared, but he also performed in Four of the Apocalypse, Keoma and Silver Saddle. But that was an Irish actor !

3 Likes

The villain in Return of Sabata.

1 Like

The priest played by Robert Shaw in * A Town Called Bastard is an Irishman. At least it is an Eurowestern.

1 Like

Sorry I donā€™t know of any answers to your question but Iā€™m really glad someone loves Irish as much as I do. Iā€™ve 100 percented Redemption 1 and UN I think Seven times, and he still makes me laugh out loud on several occasions.

2 Likes

Lynn Redgraveā€™s character in Long Live Your Death was a fiery Irish red head.

2 Likes

Havenā€™t heard of this one, Iā€™ll have to check it out. Thanks for the recommendation.

Thanks, still need to watch this one. The first two were a lot of fun.

Never knew he was Irish, interesting. I guess the dubs I watched never gave him an accent.

Thanks, just watched this one recently actually. Canā€™t believe I forgot he was Irish, I remember thinking it was an odd choice for the character (though a lot of things about that movie were odd).

Heā€™s incredible, reminds me a lot of Tuco from The Good, The Bad, and the Ugly. I was really hoping thereā€™d be a Spaghetti Western featuring a scummy Irish outlaw like him, but unfortunately it doesnā€™t seem like there is.

1 Like

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

My favourite bitā€™s 1:16. ā€œIā€™m your old friend amnesia.ā€ :joy:

1 Like

Brett McBain and his family ā€˜Once upon a time in the westā€™ ā€¦ how could you all forget that!? LOL

ā€œMaureeeeeeeeeeeeeen!!!ā€

3 Likes

I wonder how that surname was chosen?

In case anyone is wondering, apparently the film Man of the East has an Irish prostitute in it as well.

HAH, ā€œOh me virgin ears!ā€ Wish I had gotten the chance to play online mode in RDR1 just to play as Irish.

Shoot, canā€™t believe I didnā€™t remember him. Though, in my defense, he does die within the first fifteen minutes of the film.

Do you mean Mallory? According to Google itā€™s, ā€œa name for a person who was known for bad luck and an unhappy disposition.ā€

1 Like

I meant McBain but thanks for the information. Nice piece of trivia.

Specks from ā€˜El Puroā€™ is also Irish.

2 Likes

I feel like such an idiot because I never thought of them. :rofl:

Just remembered, I think the old man, ā€œDirty,ā€ played by Antonio Palombi in My Name is Nobody is also supposed to be Irish. He has a really small role, but I thought it worth mentioning.

Yeah, makes me wonder if it was intentional or not.

Heard El Puro mentioned a few times, another one Iā€™ll have to watch.

1 Like

Iā€™ve heard that ā€œBrett McBainā€ came from the names of American mystery writers Brett Halliday of Mike Shayne fame and Ed McBain who wrote the 87th Precinct novels. that may have been mentioned somewhere in Prof. Fraylingā€™s massive book about OUATITW.

I assume Budā€™s character Oā€™Bannion in TODAY ITā€™S ME, TOMORROW YOU is supposed to be Irish or Irish-American.

Heh, with a last name like McBain itā€™s probably a good guess, thanks for the rec.

What about Stephen Boyd as Captain Chadwell Williams in Those Dirty Dogs (1973), does it count?

1 Like

Not really ā€¦ but nice choice of photo! :wink:

1 Like