Irish Spaghetti Western Characters?

I haven’t seen he film so I can’t say if he counts, but it looks cool nonetheless so thanks for posting it.

1 Like

In case anyone is curious (and in honor of St. Patrick’s Day), Ace High has an Irish family in it. Coincidentally, one of the children is played by Enzo Santaniello who also played one of the McBain children in Once Upon a Time in the West

, as well.

1 Like

Maria Pia Conte played an Irish character “Susan” in And the Crows Will Dig Your Grave (Juan Bosch).

1 Like

I think the compulsive nose-picker played by Aldo Berti in Return of the Holy Ghost (Roberto Mauri) is supposed to be Irish.

1 Like

Thanks for sharing. Seems there are quite a few Irish characters in smaller roles which probably explains why I missed so many of them.

I was just watching Killer Caliber .32 and there’s an Irish character who I believed is played by Silvio Bagolini. Thought this one was noteworthy since he plays up the Irish drunkard schtick.

1 Like

In the opening of " Sette donne per i MacGregor" there is an Irish family dancing with the MacGregor. They all end up in a big fistfight beween Scots and Irish :woozy_face:

1 Like

Heh, fistfights seem to be a common occurrence amongst Spaghetti Western Irish characters.

1 Like

Watching Twice a Judas now and there’s an Irish character, Mac Calhoun, played by Carlos Ronda.

1 Like

I wonder if Banjo in Sabata is supposed to be Irish, simply on the grounds that William Berger dyed his hair red for it and, in the SW universe, red hair is visual shorthand for “Irish”. :thinking:

3 Likes

Hah, could be. Especially with the sideburns which also play into the stereotypical Irish look.

2 Likes

Is Salvatore Baccaro’s weird accent as ‘Saloon Servant’ in the Grand Duel supposed to be Irish?

1 Like

It’s funny you mention it since I was actually watching The Grand Duel recently and thought the same thing at first. I think he–or the person who dubbed him–is just doing a terrible European accent, though.

Kind of feel obliged to add to this list now. Watching A Strange in Paso Bravo and the blacksmith Gary Hamilton works for, Donovan (Jesus Tordesillas), is Irish. He actually gets a relatively good bit of screen-time in the second half.

In Demofilio Fidani’s first SW Stranger, Make the Sign of the Cross, there’s the Donovan brothers (played by Mel Gaines & Calisto Calisti), who I think might be Irish.

Ty Hardin plays a character named Donovan in Aquasanta (Holy Water) Joe, who might be Irish.

1 Like

One of the great parts of keeping this list is that I get to hear about so many Spaghetti Westerns I might not have. Thanks for the heads up.

3 Likes

I think Danny Carver (Manuel Guitián) has Irish accent in the English dub of Too Much Gold for One Gringo

2 Likes

I’ll have to check it out. Thanks, @I_love_Cat_Stevens!

1 Like