If You Meet Sartana, Pray for Your Death / Se incontri Sartana, prega per la tua morte (Gianfranco Parolini, 1968)

Indeed I will Brother Scherpschutter - and thankfully we donā€™t have to include the Requiescant (1967).
Absit invidia amigo

Love this movie! Itā€™s no great work of art, and by no means one of the best SW flicks, but I find all of the Garko Sartana movies to be great repeat-viewing fun. I like this series better than the Sabata series and part of the reason is how bizarre and impenetrable the plotting can be - just relax and go with the flow. Itā€™ll all be worked out in the endā€¦ sorta (well, as long as you donā€™t think about it all too hard!).

[quote=ā€œBlacksheepboy, post:37, topic:188ā€]The SW in the 1970ā€™s is a closing genre.
Nothing new in terms of style or storytelling, but quite a few different addings, like Keomaā€™s score pointing out aspects of the plot and Mannajaā€™s blade as his trademark weapon.[/quote]
Seems like a mantra of this board to go on complaining about the 1970s spaghetti westerns, their ā€œtirednessā€ and lack of new ideas or maybe lack of tradition, this comes up in so many threads. I understand the sentiment and could join in, Iā€™ve just got way too many 70s favorites, some serious and some comicā€¦ Few of them are five star masterpieces but still the decade gave us many enjoyable movies and great scenes in lesser ones, also much fun oddball stuff too personal to be considered run of the mill.

Among shameless hacks there were skilled low-budget filmmakers like Carnimeo turning out stylish and smart action westerns at incredible speed, and talented newcomers like Giancarlo Santi who just joined the game too late. Like it or hate it but Brothers Blue really attempted to bring something new to the genre before sliding into obscurity. So much more was going than Trinity, Keoma and their clones. Maybe the audience and critics didnā€™t notice but thatā€™s not unusual with our genre of forgotten pistolerosā€¦

I finally watched my first Sartana and was really disappointed. The only good thing about this movie was the cast, but the story and the music sucked big time. If I donā€™t like the ā€œhighest ratedā€ Sartana, should I give the others a try.

I thought the same after watching it the first time. Multiple viewings helps as does multiple views of ā€œReturn of Sabataā€ (another difficult to follow movie).
The other Sartanaā€™s have convoluted storylines but they arenā€™t difficult to follow if youā€™re paying attention.

I believe you should seeing as the sequels are a different experience from this darker, and sometimes dreary, picture.
The sequels are more fun and light hearted and the action arrives more quickly.
Plus the plots are easier to understand.

You should, i liked ā€œI am Sartana your angel of deathā€ much more than the first Sartana movie.

One of my favourite SWā€™s (itā€™s in my Top 20 SWā€™s). I love the violence in this.

Great cast : Garko, Berger and Kinski , although thereā€™s not enough of Herr Kinski.

For me definite top 10 non-Leone sw. The Sartana character is a truly an iconic sw anti-hero who i rate
alongside MWNN and Django.The ā€œi am your Pallbearerā€ introduction is arguably the best entrance out of all
swā€™s.

BTW contary to some of the opinions iā€™ve read on this thread,iā€™d suggest SARTANA is very original though like any other post FISTFUL OF DOLLARs there are obvious points of reference like the fact that it borrows the plot device (from AFOD)of a stranger getting in between two rival gangs,but then so does DJANGO and no-one would claim that movie is unoriginal.I canā€™t think of another sw before this that uniquely blends in this spectral almost supernatural figure with the Bond series and sw plots were never that complicated before with double crosses being taken to the extreme.The film is undoubtably very hard to follow but so is ONCE UPON A TIME IN AMERICA and no-one would suggest that this is a mess.Like Leoneā€™s gangster classic i found that SARATNA grew on me with every viewing and it became a challenge to figure out every nuance in the plot.In fact we dedicated a whole thread on another forum to reconstruct and unravel the plot.The plot synopsis on the Wildeast sleevenotes was i suspect written by Thomas Weisser because its sooooo inaccurate. ;D

There is undoubtable a cheap look about SARTANA but i donā€™t think this harms particularly because this is more than made up for with a superb horror influenced atmosphere and superb organ based bluesy musical score.The cast is absolutely top notch with Fernando Sancho and William Berger easily providing Sartanaā€™s most effective nemesisā€™s.In fact as much as i love Carmineoā€™s follow-ups i see them as a dilution of Paroliniā€™s original vision with all the added goofiness and they lack the mystique of the original.Not for nothing does Garko himself rate this as his favourite western. :wink:

BTW i love the excessive lengths of the SARTANA titles ,a similar trend that was adopted by the likes of Argento and Fullci with the gialloā€™s that they made.

A general rule with SWs thoā€™ is ā€¦ the better, and longer, the title - the worse the film. Fidani rules!!
I am gonna watch these Sartana films again thoā€™ - with an open mind - and an open can of scrumpy ;D :stuck_out_tongue:

Yes Lasky, I believe the thread you are refering to is here:

Its actualy quite useful and quite a few differing opinions. But I think understand everything now.

[quote=ā€œCol. Douglas Mortimer, post:51, topic:188ā€]Yes Lasky, I believe the thread you are refering to is here:

Its actualy quite useful and quite a few differing opinions. But I think understand everything now.[/quote]

Though i believe we came to a general agreement in the end,the main bone of contention being Laskyā€™s
dying utterance to Sartana ā€œyou are the gā€¦ā€ which we concluded to be gravedigger rather than ghost.

Reverend Danite ,both Leoneā€™s most celebrated westerns both have titles that rival the Sartana series in length. :wink:

[quote=ā€œCol. Douglas Mortimer, post:51, topic:188ā€]Yes Lasky, I believe the thread you are refering to is here:

Yes, Iā€™m afraid I wasnā€™t so helpful in that thread. ;D

Who are you on the Leone board MORTIMER?

I wonder if I am the only one who thinks that this is the worst of the Sartana series? I enjoy all the Carnimeo films which are good combination of action, strange characters and all the fun stuff. Basically the first one is made of similar stuff (and it has best cast of serie) but somehow it leaves me cold. Something about Paroliniā€™s directing I guess, I canā€™t really put my finger on it.

Iā€™m in agreement but I find it better than the Hilton one.

Yes, something about this one leaves me feeling like something was missing.
Perhaps it is the fun factor of the sequels that keep those chugging along while this one feels kinda dreary in spots.
I still like it though and fits easily in my top 50.

[quote=ā€œYourPallbearer, post:53, topic:188ā€]Yes, Iā€™m afraid I wasnā€™t so helpful in that thread. ;D

Who are you on the Leone board MORTIMER?[/quote]

I am not a part of that forum, but I did read that particular thread and I like to thank the guys for ā€œclearing the airā€, as regards to the confusing plot.

I wish a similar thread could be done for Angel of death/Gravedigger, which I also found rather confusing.

You are not alone. I think there are generally two schools of thought. On one hand people like the Carnimeo sequels because they are fun and lighthearted, while on the other hand some prefer the original because it was more serious in tone.

Very good point Col.
I am in the second school of thought. I like the first Sartana (even though I am not a fan of Paroliniā€™s circus-style action in his subsequent films). I really like Garko but find the Carmineo films just a little too jokey and certainly confusing.
This is a conundrum. Very often, highly violent spaghettis have silly, jokey moments. It is an odd juxtoposition. I usually prefer to seperate the two. Since most of the Sartana films blend seriousness and sillness, I am only a marginal fan.
Butā€¦I love His Name Is Holy Ghost. And it, too, mixes violence and levity. Go figure. :-\

It is all pretty easy to follow until the scene with Garko and Wolf in the cemetery where Sartana is explaining to Buddy Ben what he has uncovered so far in his investigation.

Basically what I get is the Bank president was the ringleader of the heist all along and the Sheriff of the gambeling town was the guy posing as Sartana.
Gordon Mitchellā€™s character had nothing to do with the heist and is only hunting down Sartana for the reward money.

[quote=ā€œYourPallbearer, post:59, topic:188ā€]It is all pretty easy to follow until the scene with Garko and Wolf in the cemetery where Sartana is explaining to Buddy Ben what he has uncovered so far in his investigation.

Basically what I get is the Bank president was the ringleader of the heist all along and the Sheriff of the gambeling town was the guy posing as Sartana.
Gordon Mitchellā€™s character had nothing to do with the heist and is only hunting down Sartana for the reward money.[/quote]

I understood the overall story and motivations, but there were certain scenes that had me scratching my head. I havenā€™t seen the film in quite a while so forgive my lack of detail but examples are why Buddy Benā€™s character pretended to kill Sartana, and why did Sartana and Buddy Ben induce that guy to yell as loud as he can?