If You Had to Choose One Scene to Explain SW’s Appeal, What Would It Be?

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:40, topic:1938”]I’d pick a terrible example of the genre, let’s say Finders Killers. I’d let that other person sit through that crap until it’s time for the Gordon Mitchell show where he shoots three guys in saloon in less than a minute. That to me sums up the genre. A great scene in a 99% crap movie. If the other person is able to stomach shit like that, he’ll probably cum at the sight of a Corbucci.
And that, to me, is also the appeal of the genre. You know there will be at least one great scene in any spaghetti western.[/quote]
Your twisted!

haha… its actually a very good point though!

Indeed !

the scene that my avatars from…

“my mule dont like people laughin”

[quote=“klinteastwood, post:44, topic:1938”]the scene that my avatars from…

“my mule dont like people laughin”[/quote]
A classic scene, and one that tells what is going to happen next, not throught what the characters say but how they say it.

[quote=“Bad Lieutenant, post:40, topic:1938”]I’d pick a terrible example of the genre, let’s say Finders Killers. I’d let that other person sit through that crap until it’s time for the Gordon Mitchell show where he shoots three guys in saloon in less than a minute. That to me sums up the genre. A great scene in a 99% crap movie. If the other person is able to stomach shit like that, he’ll probably cum at the sight of a Corbucci.
And that, to me, is also the appeal of the genre. You know there will be at least one great scene in any spaghetti western.[/quote]
Good point there ;).

yes yes…couldnt agree more

These are all some great choices. I honestly can’t argue with any of them.

I suppose I would pick the death of Silence. That sucker is a mule kick to the guts even after repeated viewings. It sums up everything I love about spaghetti oaters.

I’d choose the finale of THE GOOD THE BAD AND THE UGLY, beginning with the discovery of the Graveyard.

Me too, along with the build up to the family massacre in Once Upon A Time in the West.

Perhaps the shooting-the-legs-off-the-stool duel from REQUIESCANT. That scene has the cruelty, the black humour, the off-key look at the conventions of the American Western (the traditional stand-off).

Probably the opening scene of OUATITW, it is such a masterclass in tension building. It has it all; the tension building, the soundscape, the mysterious stranger, the gunfight, and just for the moment where Bronson says “You brought two too many” and the whole balance of power in the scene is turned 180.

Bloody hell Marv, you love pulling a dead thread up out of the grave, don’t you? ;D Still, why the f*ck not. That’s what they’re there for.

Can’t choose between the aforementioned opening scene from Once Upon a Time in the West or the The Good, the Bad & the Ugly final shootout in the graveyard. Both excellent. Also very partial to Oaks and his men’s first sweep through “The Unhappy Place” in Django Kill. Very sinister, very off-kilter.

Bloody hell Marv, you love pulling a dead thread up out of the grave, don't you? ;D Still, why the f*ck not. That's what they're there for.

I have nothing better to do, so… ;D

Tomas Milian sucking a cow’s udder in Sonny & Jed…jk

Most of the great Leone moments have been mentioned already…I’d say the ending scene of Django in the graveyard. Also Tony Anthony sitting eating at a table with his 4 barrel shotgun with the nervously laughing bandit in The Stranger Returns.

There’s a couple camera shots I like, like the opening of Days Of Violence, when the thug drops his knife next to his boot on the tree stump, and the forest duel in The Big Gundown.

FOUR SCENES THAT MARK THE SPAGHETTI WESTERN FOR ME

1. The dirty outlaws opening credits scene / theme song is by far an underated scene.
  2. California has some excellent scene’s but the best scene is by far the moment where Michael Random realizes he must resort to the cold killer he was in the civil war. Gemma is so perfect in this, I get tears and anxiety just thinking about it.
  3. Have a good funeral… Sartana will pay has an opening scene that is just hard to ignore. Sartana’s famous lines " I’ll Pray for yours." The scene is perfect, the score is haunting, and Garko is at the top of his game
  4. In Viva Django, I love the scene where Django utters these lines " I have only one thing left. Hate." Django spitting on his enemy was pretty cool to see too. Terence Hill is wicked! a must see!

I said this, a couple of years back:

"The finale of Fistful of Dollars

I usually show it at the end of a lecture, or when somebody asks me to explain what the genre is all about. The scene is simple, direct, and masterfully executed. Imagine what the effect must have been on the first people who saw the movie, without knowing any other spaghetti or films like Bonnie & Clyde, The Wild Bunch or Ulzana’s Raid"

I still think that would be a good choice. Another possibility would be to show a person one movie ‘that has all the characteristics of a true spaghetti western’, that is: positive and negative characteristics, so not the most characteristic of the great spaghs (the one that has all the good things and a couple of things more - that is For a Few Dollars More), but the most characteristic period. For me that’s Arizona Colt: it not a great movie per se, definitely a genre movie (‘B movie’), it’s outrageously violent, a bit silly at times, has one of the best leads in the business (Gemma) as well as the definitive spaghetti western Mexican villain (Sancho) and it has that typical spaghetti western atmosphere

Arizona Colt would drive me away from the genre if it would be the first Spag in my life.

No, if I want to show someone what the genre is able to achieve, it must be one of the incredible scenes. And this could only be something something from Leone or Corbucci.

The Ecstasy of Gold part and the triello of GBU or the opening scene of OuTW are utterly perfect for that purpose.

Could be, but in that case you’re not a characteristic spaghetti western fan. At least not in my book. If you show a top Leone or Corbucci, you create false expectations: those movies are genre highlights, but at the same time they transcend the genre, or rise above it, if only in pretentions: for me a genre movie, when talking about Italian genre cinema, is essentially a B-movie, an uncomplicated action-packed movie with a cynical hero or anti-hero.

There are of course other possibilities: Today it’s me, tomorrow You would also be a good example. Or A Pistol for Ringo. In case of Corbucci, I would pick Minnesota Clay. His Zapatas are too middle brow, Django is too outrageous, The Great Silence is too unusual.