If You Had to Choose One Scene to Explain SW’s Appeal, What Would It Be?

I WOULD SHOW THE APPROACH OF HENRY FONDA AND HIS MEN TO THE FARMHOUSE BEFORE THEY MASSACRE THE FAMILY IN “Once Upon A Time In The West”.

The finale of GBU. It’s magnificence of cinematic stlye carried away with such skill while filmed in such a low key manner.

Django mowing Jacksons men down with his machine gun!

The finale of Fistful of Dollars

I usually show it at the end of a lecture, or when somebody asks me to explain what the genre is all about. The scene is simple, direct, and masterfully executed. Imagine what the effect must have been on the first people who saw the movie, without knowing any other spaghetti or films like Bonnie & Clyde, The Wild Bunch or Ulzana’s Raid

Well if I were to introduce someone to SW’s, I would probably choose these two scenes:

1. Mortimer and Clint shooting each other’s hat in FFDM.
  2. Clint shooting the four guys for making fun of his mule.

The start and the end to The Hellbenders.

The duel in The Mercenary…

or the opening for And for a Roof A Sky Full of Stars…

For Me it’s Django walking out of the graveyard leaving his bloody gun behind. A beautifully shot sequence that is the payoff for this classic.

I can’t argue with that.

No argument here.

This might be my 1 a.
A breathtaking piece of cinematic history that ties this classic together nicely. There is a reason why this is widely considered the SW.

I agree, the iconic ending of Django and the duel in The Mercenary are both lump in the throat moments for me … but the most visual/aural treat imo is the pocket watches and duel scene with Manco ‘mediating’ twixt the Colonel and El Indio towards the end of FAFDM. But, as many ‘unbelievers’ will have already seen this film, and if that be the case, then I think The Mercenary’s ‘carnation’ duel could persuade a lot of people to see the light.

All great choices.

I might add the multiple duels that conclude The Big Gundown - the command of space, the tension, the almighty music, the political implications of knife versus pistol…

Every scene in For a few Dollars more! :wink:
The scene in which LVC is lightening a match on the hunchback of Klaus Kinksi. Such a scene you would never see in a US Western. :slight_smile:

[quote=“korano, post:2, topic:1938”]The finale of GBU. It’s magnificence of cinematic stlye carried away with such skill while filmed in such a low key manner.[/quote] I nearly went for this one myself korano, a good choice but i went for the Henry Fonda scene because to me it shows the unpredictability of SW’s. that there are no rules. they are all good choices so far, thanks guys.

Probably TGTBATU finale as well, or the opening in My Name is Nobody where Henry Fonda gets a shave, that scene is perfect I think.

I love that too!

Thats what i always trying to do

Most of the scenes from the dollar trilogy that are already mentioned +

The ending of The Great Silence
The organ scene in Light the fuse…Sartana is coming
The opening scene of Vengeance

[quote=“ION BRITTON, post:16, topic:1938”]Most of the scenes from the dollar trilogy that are already mentioned +

The opening scene of Vengeance[/quote]

I love that. Unfortunately the rest of the movie is good but not as brutal as the opening scene.

Fistful of Dollars when Clint shoots the four Baxter henchmen for shooting at his mule. It shows the anti-hero, the dark humor and the stacked odds the SW hero always faces and wins against.

How about the opening to FAFDM when Clint simply rides into town & it starts to pour.

That is a nice scene for sure.