If westerns were still popular

doubt if anyone could pull it off, these are just the first names that poped in my head.i would be interested in everbodys own nominees.

those are both very bad choices, I will add a “none of the above, specify below” option to it

Well, Brad Pitt is making a “Jesse James” movie now for release next year. So let’s see if he can pull that off. The only modern actor I can think of, that might be good in a western is Harrison Ford and he’s not really young anymore. Viggio was fine in “Hidalgo” so maybe him and Tom Selleck,Sam Elliott and Kurt Russell have done some fine western work, but to be honest I can not think of one modern day(young) star who is “rugged” enough (like Wayne/Eastwood/Bronsan/Van Cleef)to be a western star. Maybe that’s why the genre is in a coma right now.

I don’t think that young is exactly the opperative word, I don’t think Eastwood was that young I think he was in his mid 30’s for Fistfull, Lee Van Cleef was in his 40’s, Bronson was in his 40’s too. Nero was always made up to look older. Eli Wallach was close to 50 for GBU.

I think you need an older star/ actor to pull off a convincing world wise rugged type, but since a lot of American Films are geared towards teens you get a lot younger pretty boy actors and cross-over talaents now.

Viggo has the look, Mickey Rourke could do one I think too.

David Carradine

Robert Downey Jr. 8)

David Carradine with this old Kung Fu kinda image? … But yes, could work.
Mickey Rourke is good too. Another choice could be Micheal Madsen.

Guys Guys !! u r forgetting both the Doc Holliday’s - Dennis Quaid and Val Kilmer , i believe they would make great western stars

yea,too bad westerns were not popular in 80s-90s sam elliot.tom selleck,dennis quaid,stacey keach,and lance henriksen could have all been major stars.val kilmer played billy the kid in “gore vidals billy the kid”(1989).i havent seen it supposedly it hints that billy was gay?

I think when I said young, I may have meant mature. You look back at some of the classic movie stars, many of them seemed older then their years. Think about it…Sean Connery was only 31 when he became “James Bond” yet he seemed to have worldiness about him. Eastwood was only about 35 when he did “A Fistful Of Dollars” but he looked like he could kick anybodys ass. John Wayne , Bogart and any number of classic stars just seemed like “adults”. Now look at modern stars, Tom Cruise is 40 but dosen’t look old enough to shave, let alone be a gunslinger, same with Ben Affleck and Matt Damon. So none of these folks could do a convincing western. If the western genre is ever going to be revived in a big way, movie studios need to find a “modern” Eastwood or Wayne. Somebody young enough to be around for awhile but have a sense of maturity about them.

I think phantom stranger has hit the nail on the head.

Val Kilmer would be an amazing western star. And it is obvious the guy would love to take on the task. He lives on a ranch in Santa Fe and really seems to like the life style. Then when you think of the outstanding job he did as Doc Holiday, I have no doubt the guy could have taken the throne over. But sadly there is no throne to be passed on.

I THINK THE TIME IS RIGHT FOR A WESTERN RIVIVAL.HOLLYWOOD IS HAVING A BAD TIME AT THE BOX OFFICE AND I THINK GENRE MOVIES COULD PULL THEM OUT.TARINTINO AND HIS ILK COULD REALLY MAKE SOME GOOD 70S TYPE EXPLOTION FILMS.INCLUDING ITALIAN STLE WESTERNS.THOSE BAD 70S MOVIES ALWAYS HAD GOOD CONCEPTS BUT WERE PLAGUED WITH BAD ACTING AND CHEAP BUDGETS.IF THEY WERE DONE RIGHT WITH A DECENT BUDGET I THINK THEY WOULD GO OVER GREAT.AND GET RID OF THE PRETTY BOYS! IS IT ANY WONDER WESTERNS BOMB WHEN WE GET "TEXAS RANGERS"AND “AMERICAN OUTLAWS”.OF COURSE I LIKE MY CLASSIC STYLE WESTERNS TOO I THOUGHT "OPEN RANGE WAS GREAT!DOES ANYBODY KNOW HOW IT DID AT THE BOX OFFICE?ALSO WESTERNS ARE MAKING A COME BACK IN COMICS AND GAMES.CHECK OUT THE NEW "JONAH HEX"COMIC,AND"GUN"AND"RED DEAD REVOLVER"ON PLAYSTATION.

Open Range did very decently in the market…

Did anyone see this “Blueberry whatever” movie? What was it like?

MICHAEL WINCOTT HAS THE LOOK .HE IS THE ONE THAT GOT ATE IN “DEADMAN” FOR TALKING TOO MUCH.

Blueberry is a strange western,full of mexican-indian peiote dreaming,

On 18 jan. is coming a new western “BANDIDAS” staring Salma Hayek & Penelope Cruz

In 2006 will seen onother western called “Seraphim Falls” with Liam Neeson…and Pierce Brosnan
a confederate and yankee -old enemies that meet each other in Mexico after the end of the Civil War…
great !

Blueberry is curious and watchable but very very very far from the original comics.
So has a fan of the comics i was desapointed.
When he did it the director was in a mystical chamanic feeling time has he said
in interviews so he change the script to put his mystical stuff in the movie.

BANDIDAS !!!

The fact that I think Salma Hayek is the most gorgeous woman in the world is one thing, now she is going to be in a real western (I don’t count that crappy "Wild Wild West"Movie) I am a very happy man.