I Just Bought … (the SW Shopping Diary)

That’s also known as “Duel in the Eclipse”, which sort of gives away the plot a little. Oops.
It’s somewhat based on the Japanese movie Seppuku/Harakiri directed by Masaka Kobayashi and starring Tatsuya Nakadai. I subtitled the German DVD a few years ago using the Italian audio, so I’m not sure what you mean by “like listening to an opera recording”, because I was hearing the original Italian, and I don’t remember it sounding much different to most other Spaghetti Westerns. Although I suppose Lavagnino sometimes went a little off-piste with his music scores. Anyway I like this film, and I think the major showdown premise is brilliant.

Nice buy! I just got one off eBay for £13 about a week ago but I’m waiting for my new blu ray player to arrive so I haven’t watched it yet. I’ve only read good things about it so I’m excited to watch it.

1 Like

Hey everyone, 88 films are currently doing a flash sale for 33% off on orders over £30, so you can get their 3 SW releases (The Mercenary, Navajo Joe and Django Kill) for about £26.

3 Likes

Thanks @Max
I already have those spaghettis but just saved myself some cash on a few Gialli and Shaw Bros flicks. Much obliged for the heads up

1 Like

Thanks, Bandido Manuel!

5 Likes

Sorry if I was unclear - I was indeed getting at the way Lavagnino’s score seems so thoroughly integrated into the movie, shaping and pointing the narrative. I find the music so expressive that once you’ve gotten to know R4aG, you can almost shut your eyes and listen to the film (not saying that’s the optimal way to experience it of course!). The Wild East issue - part of a tiny spending binge on favourite spags after the hellacious year we’ve all had - only has the English audio, sadly, but it’s still magnificent - one of their best releases.

I’m also a big admirer of Seppuku/Harakiri, and the parallels and - especially - contrasts are striking. The sheer volume of Nakadai’s work always stuns me, not to mention its inclusion of Today We Kill, Tomorrow We Die. (Here he is taking about it in 2013.)

2 Likes

And the rest of this immoral splurge. That’s my lot till Xmas, though I have pre-ordered Vengeance Trails (unlike everyone else here, natch).

5 Likes

still need to get cut throats nine somewhere without having to mortgage my house… i need to set up an ebay alert or something I guess…

Out here in the wild midwest it costs $11.99 new on Amazon.

For a DVD-R it seems? I’m pretty sure Sebastian wants the original Code Red release on blu-ray and thought that was the one you got.

Ah, I see - sorry, I was too quick. Yes, there’s a bidding war in progress on a Code Red Blu-Ray CT9 on ebay.com right now. And yes, those aren’t cheap.

The Amazon DVD-R I bought is marketed by Films Around the World, with no mention of Code Red. Does this mean it’s a glorified bootleg?

Sounds very much like a bootleg :slight_smile:

Cheers! Good to know. Given I can still handle DVDs without too much pain - the Blu-Ray would be ideal but I don’t have the arm & a leg it would cost - I might return it and run down the old Code Red DVD coupled with Joshua.

anything that’s a tad better than the DVD, yes. even though I am sure it is not the greatest movie, it is still notorious and I havent seen it and I think it should be more widely available on a decent quality bluray, lets hope another UK company or so will put this flick out of its misery. the arrow treatment would be great :slight_smile:

2 Likes

In an attempt to add hard to find titles to my collection, I search every nook and cranny I can find online and in person in hopes of stumbling across something a bit more obscure. Today, I was lucky enough to obtain this OOP Dorado Film release and for next to nothing I am proud to say. :grin: This was their 2007 release though they did release it again with different packaging in 2009 which is still in print. Outside of that, I am not sure how they differ. To be honest, the movie itself is an average yet enjoyable film but it is 16:9 with a remastered audio track. The only extras are some trailers.

Il ranch degli spietati - The Spaghetti Western Database (spaghetti-western.net)

4 Likes

Just pre-ordered. Was originally gonna wait for a standard edition seen as though I already have Pecos on blu, but I got a £10 off code on Amazon which brought it down to £45 so I thought why not

5 Likes

How do you guys pre-order it? I can’t seem to find an option for order.

That’s how I did it on amazon UK. If no option is appearing it might be sold out for pre-order in whatever country you are from

Well I’m broke now haha. Just kidding, I actually got this “holy grail” item for a decent price (still more than I would’ve liked to pay for it but alas). Now i know the 4K edition of this is due out by Arrow but I don’t have any 4K equipment around the house so that’s why this out of print Blu ray collectors set. And having it in hand now i can only say it’s worth it.

9 Likes

Congrats on the Django set Jeff, enjoy!!!

1 Like