I Just Bought … (the SW Shopping Diary)

There are many ‘amateurs’ who make custom English friendly versions of rare Euro flicks that do better work than this. But when the Wild East boys are friends on Facebook with many of the regulars here, it’s unlikely they will be called out properly for so many sloppily made projects. .

And their releases regularly are given ‘rave’ reviews here, I’m sorry, but by someone who clearly doesn’t know any better !

Home re-voicing of non English scenes and calling it ‘uncut’ !? … converting PAL releases to NTSC and making a mess of that. These are in reality, nicely packaged bootlegs. :frowning:

1 Like

Wild East has taken a lot of flak in here for the last 15 years so they haven’t been spared in any way. Ghosting issues due to PAL->NTSC conversions have been a problem with their releases forever and mentioned frequently. I see their stuff as stop gap releases. Koch Media they ain’t. Nicely packaged bootlegs describe them well and I think I’ve used roughly the same term a couple of times :slight_smile:

1 Like

I would agree with that description.

1 Like

You are right ! … just feeling that frustration from buying another duff release which I had been looking forward to .

2 Likes

I can very much relate to that :slight_smile:

1 Like

I’ve never purchased a Wild East release myself, but after hearing many comments on here, I’m kinda glad I never picked any up.

I think some die hard physical media collectors are willing to put up with their spotty work as they’re convinced no other company will ever release English friendly releases of those films, and in many ways you can’t blame them, but at the same time you would think the company putting out said titles would want to make sure they give 100% and more into their quality to keep happy customers coming back.

1 Like

Lol, just typed out a big post about how I’ve never bought a Wild East disc and about how, to me at least, they’ve always looked a bit shabby in the presentation, a bit piratey (I’m referring to things like the site, and the box covers), and about how I can’t see myself bothering with any of their products anytime soon especially given the comments here from guys who have actually experienced the discs, before realising that I bought the Requiem For Gringo blu-ray and I don’t recall being anything but perfectly happy with it. So that told me :slightly_smiling_face:.

(the box cover still looks somewhat piratey, though)

2 Likes

Yeah … it seems like simple economics, doesn’t it! but they have collectors who pick up everything they release … collecting for it’s own sake.

Here’s a video I found by a guy who wants to complete his WE collection, but in many cases hasn’t actually watched the movies, nor does he seem to know much about the genre ! :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Everyone’s gotta get it right sometime ? :wink: Except, that ‘Requiem’ BD by these guys is in 720p rather than 1080p … why?

Regarding, ‘Bullet for the President’ … could it be there’s a copyright loophole by putting this out under a little known title in USA territory, so it appears to be “Public domain” ? If they released under it’s more familiar title, presumably they’d have to pay a fee ?

‘The Price of Power’ is shown on the Sony Action channel, formerly movies4men and there are no issues with the soundtrack, except that they have made a few PC edits to protect our delicate sensibilities . So, do Sony now own this film ?

1 Like

I brought this up ages ago when I got my copy. I can’t think of any other reason they would retain this crappy title.

Same with their Johnny Hamlet release: ‘The Wild and the Dirty

1 Like

If you consider them to be a bootleg company, that hasn’t done it for you in the past, why do you still bother buying from them? I Will happily buy some of the OOP Wild East releases if anyone is willing to sell. I like the label a lot.

God… Take it for what it is. For around 20€ you get a double feature of movies that maybe only existed on VHS before, here in a more than OK presentation for me with loads of nice extras in a nice packaging. What do you expect? A movie like “The Beast” or “The Dirty Fifteen” to get 4K release or pristine Blu Ray release?

That statement was relevant 15 or 20 years ago … the fact is that better source prints are turning up regularly, and even uploads on You tube are making WE releases look like a joke!

What have Wild East sourced recently ? Nothing that isn’t already out there.

The reason I’m particularly fucked off with their ‘Bullet for the President’ release, was the thought, what could possibly go wrong with this one. The English audio has been available for ages and is in good condition … but they managed to screw it up !! So years of experience count for very little.

Why do you defend something that’s clearly sub standard ? Well that’s your business … I’m talking about why I’m displeased with this release. As ‘makesthemovie’ commented, most companies want to improve their product, not the opposite.

PS: There is a HD rip of ‘The Dirty Fifteen’ in English on YT.

Is it at least 1080p this time? Would love to see comparison shots with the German disc which I assume is the source.

The picture is first class, but no marks for that, when it’s not their rip :wink: - Unfortunately I don’t have a BD drive on the PC to make screenshots.

1 Like

I used to watch that guy on YouTube fairly frequently, but for reasons I won’t go into here (and I really will leave it at that), I lost a good bit of interest in watching him…

Damn ! Now I’m really intrigued !!! LOL :rofl:

1 Like

I’ll have to leave you wondering Aldo…:wink:

Damn ya’ll talking smack at Wild East. Anyone who has unwanted Wild East discs send em my way.

:rofl: What is WE saying? Have they gotten back to you?