I Just Bought … (Non-SW Shopping Diary)

3 Likes

So excited to finally have Cruel Gun Story in HD! Now if only the rights holder for A Colt is My Passport would stop being so tight.

4 Likes

Today’s haul from HMV’s 2 for £15 promotion:

2 Likes

Pre-ordered Soldier Blue: https://amzn.to/4aiU8sW

And Red Sun: https://amzn.to/44KVR99

1 Like

I 2nd you on Cruel Gun Story @Max, probably my favorite film from the Criterion’s Nikkatsu Noir DVD set, and one of Jo Shishido’s best performances in the Yakuza Noir genre. Hits all the right notes for me.

1 Like

The local charity shop 4 DVDs for £1 deal is ongoing, so here’s just a small selection of what I’ve managed to scoop at bargain prices in the past few days…

Ridley Scott’s first Directorial film…

PLUS:
The entire Benny Hill 1970’s collection on DVD for a paltry £3.

5 Likes

4 Likes

Great find that Benny Hill box.

3 Likes

3 Likes

Today’s purchase is an upgrade on the corresponding DVDs already in my collection. £15 out of HMV.

1 Like

Just returned from a little mini vacation with the wife. We left on Thursday for a concert in St. Paul, Minnesota featuring three of my favorite European rock bands - Kamelot, HammerFall, and Ad Infinitum which was awesome from start to finish. We then spent all day Friday in the Minneapolis/St. Paul area visiting thrift stores and yard sales where I picked up a total of 33 movies (some of them belonging to the wife) for a total of $13.25. We then had dinner with the wife’s brother, wife, and five-year-old nephew and then went to the nephew’s baseball league game (which was absolutely hilarious) this morning before returning home where I found that the postman had been kind enough to leave me several more movies. All in all, a delightful three day break.

I have a new source based here in the U.S. that has some sort of “in” for Indicator films. He is offering a bunch of titles at some very reasonable prices and there is a discount for multiple purchases. I used the opportunity to buy three new Hammer films, including the nearly impossible to find (here in the U.S.) Taste of Fear, a British crime drama, and a Fritz Lang classic.

I also had these three waiting which includes what is allegedly Lucio Fulci’s favorite movie he ever made (Beatrice Cenci), Tarantino’s favorite Lamberto Bava film (Blastfighter), and some classic horror.

And, finally, the thrift store/yard sale finds. Some of the highlights include the excellent Nobody with Bob Odenkirk, Bond director Peter R. Hunt’s Gold (still in wrapper) with Roger Moore, my third copy of The Searchers which I picked up for 50 cents due to all of the extras (including on set photos, a miniature version of the Dell comic book, and a lot of other cool stuff), the critically acclaimed The Assassin, the Italian Horror They Have Changed Their Faces, and Duccio Tessari’s Zorro with Alain Delon. It appears to be heavily edited but for 25 cents, why not?

7 Likes

“You’re going to need a bigger shelf”:grin:

Your fishing around brought in a great haul there, Brian. :+1:

2 Likes

The Blue Knight

2 Likes

I have just bought these BDs from Amazon UK…

4 Likes

Aldo approves this message

:rofl:

… all good rip snorting adventures - right up my street.

2 Likes

Just bought this wildly entertaining ‘Hammer Horror’ kung fu oddity…

Plus: I’ve just pre-ordered ‘Vampire Circus’ from Amazon UK…due out on June 3rd.

5 Likes

There is no such thing as too much Hammer! :wink:

2 Likes

On the Buses films were Hammer so that might be too much.

3 Likes

Point taken! :laughing:

1 Like