I Just Bought … (Non-SW Shopping Diary)

In my opinion the two films directed by Yuen Woo Ping - Snake in the Eagle’s Shadow and Drunken Master are very good examples of Kung Fu films with comedy. It has the right balance of action, comedy and story and it just works fine.

3 Likes

Police Story one was also a perfect blend for me

3 Likes

Agreed. Showed my friend Police Story for the first time and we had a good laugh every couple of minutes

1 Like

New blu-rays:

I’ve owned A Field in England before, back at the time of its release. I ditched it shortly thereafter but I’m wondering if I wasn’t a little hasty. And it’s only £7 brand new so I thought I’d give it another shot.

4 Likes

Some new acquisitions over the past several days.

And upgrade of the Mario Bava classic. Just in time for a Halloween re-watch.

I’ve been holding off on this one but got a good deal on the 88 Films Collector’s Edition so I decided why not.

A continuation of my exploration of Korean cinema. An allegedly solid vampire offering, also for my Halloween viewing pleasure, from Oldboy director Park Chan-wook.

What is supposed to be an excellent crime drama from Snowpiercer director Bong Joon Ho about a mother trying to prove the innocence of her son who has been convicted of a grisly murder.

And finally, an excellent classic film picked up at a yard sale this past weekend, still in wrapper, for a dollar.

5 Likes

New blu-rays:

5 Likes

Love Bava’s Maschera del Demonio, great atmosphere, great story, and a great double dose of the legendary Barbara Steele :grin:! I own it twice, on the Arrow steelbook and Arrow’s Bava boxset. Still need to sit down and watch The Nun and the Devil, but I’m looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Some Billy Wilder greatness right there. And I can’t get enough of Orson Welle’s Irish accent in Lady from Shanghai.

1 Like

New blu-rays:

(cheapo pickups in Amazon’s sale)

3 Likes

New blu-rays:

More cheapo pickups.

3 Likes

Never seen this…I’m looking forward to it.

2 Likes

Decided to splurge a little and the Cauldron Films November Bundle of Convoy Busters and Shanghai Joe. I already have Convoy Busters in a German Set with two other films and a documentary, but the Cauldron release has English subtitles, which I like to have handy for Roman slang.

Believe it or not, buying the bundle was actually cheaper than putting them together individually.

5 Likes

’Starship Troopers’ (1997)

Another Sci-Fi that I’ve never seen in its entirety…just caught snippets of it on TV occasionally. I’ve heard good things about it though; and it’s directed by Paul Verhoeven (the original ‘Robocop’ & ‘Total Recall’ films) - so I’m expecting a fun roller-coaster ride. :smiley:

6 Likes

Great flick. I think I like it even more than Robocop!

2 Likes

Bought Royal Warriors

4 Likes

Pre-ordered this today. Coming out in November.

Disc 1 - Yakuza Wolf:

• Theatrical Trailers

Disc 1 - Yakuza Wolf 2:

• Theatrical Trailers

Disc 2 - The Bodyguard:

• Theatrical Trailers

Disc 2 - Karate Killer:

• Theatrical Trailers

Disc 3 - Shogun’s Shadow:

• Theatrical Trailers

Disc 3 - Samurai Reincarnation:

• Theatrical Trailers

Disc 4 - Swords of Vengeance:

• Street Fighting Man: An Interview with Sonny Chiba Discussing His Career and The Street Fighter Films

From SHOUT! FACTORY. I’ll be interested to check out the quality. I couldn’t resist getting it though as it contains some films I haven’t seen.

3 Likes

I remember this being one of the worst Euro crime films I’ve ever watched

And this is one of the best

2 Likes

What makes you say that?? I loved it.

Agreed. I prefer The Tough Ones though which, as much as I love Dirty Harry and Serpico, I think is my favourite cop movie.

I am going to put the first three blurays aside to watch as ‘premiers’ at Christmas…and I’m especially looking forward to watching ‘The Northman’ and ‘Elvis’

4 Likes

I really liked The Northman.

1 Like