I Just Bought … (Non-SW Shopping Diary)

New blu-rays:

Upgrades from DVD to blu-ray:

5 Likes

Asa, some great titles there, mate…especially ‘Sunset’…

1 Like

I ordered this one (not yet seen):

5 Likes

‘Breakheart Pass’.…a good choice… :+1:

2 Likes

1 Like

New blu-ray:

Upgrade from DVD to blu-ray:

4 Likes

After telling me there would be no presents to open for my birthday due to the pre-orders my wife got me not being released yet, I did in fact end up with a wrapped present after all. And it turned out to be a pretty nice surprise!

She also purchased this used from someone off eBay, primarily for her own curiosity’s sake, but it comes with a bit of an interesting story, so I decided to include it.

My wife’s great grandparents, at some point in the last century, bought a farm in the vicinity of Gleason, Wisconsin. Though they had nine children, only one stayed behind on the farm to eventually take over and that was my wife’s grandfather who would eventually build a home to share with his bride on the farm. Sometime around 1970 or so, and not too many miles away, Bill Rebane (the subject of this Arrow box set) would buy a farm where, in addition to farming, he would eventually operate a film studio - something completely unheard of in this area of the country. Her grandfather used to tell us tales of the strange goings on at the Rebane farm and even claimed to have once had a long conversation with cult singer Tiny Tim (Tip Toe Through the Tulips) who was there making a movie. How many of her grandfather’s stories were true and how many were for entertainment purposes I have no way of knowing. He was known to spin some pretty outrageous yarns at times while always holding up his right hand so he could swear to their validity. In his defense, I never caught him spinning an outright piece of fiction - just colorfully embellished. :laughing:

I can’t tell you how surprised I was when Arrow released this box set and had my wife’s grandfather not already passed away about a year prior, we would have purchased it on the spot so that when we were up North visiting, we could have shown him the documentary and some of the films made there. He would have got a kick out of it.

6 Likes

Nice gifts there buddy and a Happy Birthday to ya :smiley:

1 Like

Thank you, mi amigo! Greatly appreciated.

A very belated Happy Birthday, Brian. Hope you had a cracking day to go with the superb films… :+1: :cowboy_hat_face:

1 Like

Bargain Blurays…99p each.

3 Likes

Criterion sale on Amazon:

4 Likes

Thank you, kind sir.

1 Like

Found this double pack on eBay for a good price so I thought I’d check out these Mexican Westerns:

8 Likes

If you feel creative you could write a double feature review of these for the swdb :))

3 Likes

I won’t get to watch 'em till I’m next back from uni but I’ll give it a go when I do!

4 Likes

New blu-ray:

2 Likes

I didn’t realize they had released an edition for the 30th anniversary. An interesting re-watch after Clash at the Castle.

1 Like

I’ve been wanting to get this Criterion release since it came out but didn’t want to pay the hefty price tag for four upgrades. Caught it on sale for nearly half off.

This set has an insane number of extras:

Should keep me off the streets for a while. :laughing:

5 Likes

The streets will be safer for it ;)))

3 Likes