I Just Bought … (Non-SW Shopping Diary)

I’ve just picked up these three blurays for 50p each in a local charity shop.
I haven’t seen any of them yet - but for £1.50, I can’t complain…

2 Likes

New DVD:

Nice little 2-disc set for 50p on Pitsea market. Coincidentally, I almost bought this yesterday brand new on blu for £12.50 and tbh I still probably will in all likelihood but I’ve never seen it before and this represents a decent opportunity to look at it first.

I also picked up a bog-standard DeAgostini DVD copy of El Dorado (Hawks, 1966). Also 50p.

4 Likes

The Maltese Falcon is one of my all time favorites and John Huston at his best. It is one of those I can pull out and watch at any time. El Dorado is another I can always watch again and enjoy when I’m in the mood for light fun entertainment. Both are great purchases.

2 Likes

More Jackie:

4 Likes

Bought a few days ago, just shipped:
s-l300

1 Like

I just returned from vacation and had these three waiting for me.

A word of friendly advice if anyone should ever purchase the latter movie. It was released in English but the sound was horrible - really horrible - so they released it again in Italian w/English subtitles. That is the route I went with.

4 Likes

3 Likes

Love me some Hammer and you can never go wrong with DiCaprio.

2 Likes

New blu-ray:

3 Likes

Couldn’t resist double dipping on this classic of Italian Crime, Merli and Milian made a great pair even though they couldn’t stand each other

5 Likes

Won in an ebay auction for around $18:

4 Likes

Some recent acquisitions:

While on vacation, my wife and I passed through a little town having a city wide yard sale where there had to be 50 participants in a six block area. Found a guy selling DVD’s for 50 cents each and picked up these two.

8 Likes

The 2000 three-part TV mini-series of ‘Dune’…

One of the creepiest ‘devil doll’ films out there…

The 1978 Ralph Bakshi animated version of ‘LOTR’, which I have always enjoyed…

3 Likes

Arrived today:

6 Likes

Death Smiles on a Murderer is a great film. It has strange, captivating mood.

3 Likes

I agree entirely. I can’t say I’m a huge fan of Joe D’Amato on the whole but I definitely found this one and The Devil’s Wedding Night, in which he is allegedly the uncredited "co-director, to be very entertaining. The latter could partially be because of my personal obsession with Rosalba Neri though.

I’m absolutely obsessed with how cool the Story of Ricky cover is:

3 Likes

I pre-ordered ‘The Long Halloween’ films months ago, but then cancelled my order…
Now glad that I did, because their price has now gone down to £7.99 each on ‘Amazon’…so I’ve snapped them up.

Also bought ‘Batman Hush’, which looks pretty cool…

2 Likes

Bought:

4 Likes

Recently, I posted a scene from Laurel and Hardy’s ‘Blockheads’ on the ‘Just For a Laugh’ thread. It made me realise just how much I miss these guys and their immortal comedy act. So, I thought it was time to replace what my ex misappropriated…

To rectify that, I’ve just bought, for £11, from a local shop, 15 DVD volumes of what I regard as their finest work.

Way out west; Blockheads; Busy Bodies; Laughing Gravy; The Music Box; Beau Hunks; Saps at Sea; Sons of the Desert…plus many more.

What makes these films so special for me, personally, is that my late uncle actually got to meet them when they were touring Britain on stage in the early 1950’s. About twenty years ago, he kindly gave me the theatre programme that they both signed for him…I think that it was at a venue in Leeds…

Like most people, I grew up with Laurel and Hardy, and, to have an item from their British tour, signed by both, is something that I now treasure.

What is reassuring is that no matter how many catastrophic events life may throw at you, Laurel & Hardy were there first - and Ollie usually took all the blows! :grinning:
I love them because they are eternally non-offensive, eternally funny, and eternally in our hearts.

Congratulations, Steve Coogan and John C. Reilly, for getting it so right…Stan and Ollie would be proud.
https://youtu.be/HitqUVNWi0g

As an after-thought…

Cracks me up every time…

5 Likes